+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

1 year of experience in Canada, can I get extra points for foreign work experience?

Melvino

Nov 5, 2019
Hi all,

Please read carefully as the devil is in the detail with this one.

I've got a year of work experience in Canada under NOC B.

I've also got a year of work experience in the UK under two different occupations (Different NOC codes, both fall under 0/A/B, but are different occupations)

The CRS calculator has the wording:
ii. In the last 10 years, how many total years of foreign skilled work experience do you have?
It must have been paid, full-time (or an equal amount in part-time), and in only one occupation (NOC skill type 0, A or B).

It's the 'only in one occupation' part that's confusing me because the CRS calculator is there to determine baseline eligibility for Express Entry. Not so much for the application of extra points specifically to the Canadian Experience Class. If you're already eligible with 1 year of Canadian work experience, can you get extra points for NOC 0, A, B foreign work experience even if it's in two different occupations?

Anyone who understands specifically what I'm getting at and can help me please comment below. I'm going round in circles...

Thanks!

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Hi all,

Please read carefully as the devil is in the detail with this one.

I've got a year of work experience in Canada under NOC B.

I've also got a year of work experience in the UK under two different occupations (Different NOC codes, both fall under 0/A/B, but are different occupations)

The CRS calculator has the wording:
ii. In the last 10 years, how many total years of foreign skilled work experience do you have?
It must have been paid, full-time (or an equal amount in part-time), and in only one occupation (NOC skill type 0, A or B).

It's the 'only in one occupation' part that's confusing me because the CRS calculator is there to determine baseline eligibility for Express Entry. Not so much for the application of extra points specifically to the Canadian Experience Class. If you're already eligible with 1 year of Canadian work experience, can you get extra points for NOC 0, A, B foreign work experience even if it's in two different occupations?

Anyone who understands specifically what I'm getting at and can help me please comment below. I'm going round in circles...
Go ahead and enter your total foreign work experience, since you will be qualifying under CEC anyway, and you want an accurate estimate of points.

Wording is a bit different in the profile.