Alberta Express Entry Stream
The Alberta Express Entry Stream allows the province of Alberta to nominate qualified candidates from the Government of Canada's Express Entry pool. Under Alberta Express Entry Stream qualified candidates may be selected for nomination through general draws or if they highly skilled tech professionals under an Accelerated Tech pathway.
Table of Contents
- General Express Entry Stream Selection Criteria
- Accelerated Tech Pathway Selection Criteria
- Accelerated Tech Pathway List of Eligible Occupations
- Contact us for Assistance
You may get selected for the Alberta Advantage Immigrant Program, formerly known as the Alberta Immigrant Nominee Program (AINP), if you have strong ties to Alberta or if you can help support the government’s economic development and diversification priorities.
If you are nominated by a Canadian province, you receive 600 additional Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) points, and an Invitation to Apply (ITA) for permanent residence in a subsequent draw from the Express Entry candidate pool.
International graduates who have completed their studies in a Canadian post-secondary institution may also be considered under this stream.
General Express Entry Stream Selection Criteria
You can only apply to the Alberta Express Entry stream after receiving a Notification of Interest (NOI) letter from the province. Eligible candidates will be contacted directly by the AAIP through their Express Entry profile.
Only those Express Entry candidates who receive an invitation, or NOI letter from the AAIP can submit an application for a provincial nomination under the Alberta Express Entry Stream.
The AAIP will select candidates based on the self-declared information in their Express Entry profile.
You may receive a NOI if you:
- Have an active Express Entry profile in the federal Express Entry pool;
- Have stated an interest in immigrating permanently to Alberta;
- Are working in an occupation that supports Alberta’s economic development and diversification; and
- Have a minimum CRS score of 300.
In addition, the AAIP is more likely to select you if you have one or more adaptability factors. You must:
- Have a valid Alberta job offer and/or work experience; and/or
- Be a graduate of an Alberta post-secondary institution with a valid Alberta job offer; and/or
- Have Parent, child, brother and/or sister who is a permanent resident living in Alberta, or a Canadian citizen living in Alberta.
You must receive an email request to submit an application to apply to the program.
Factors that may decrease the chances of receiving a NOI letter include:
- An Express Entry profile that expires in three (3) months or less.
- Work in an occupation:
- on the list of High-wage and low-wage occupations in the province of Alberta set out on the online Government of Canada Refusal to Process a Labour Market Impact Assessment list;
- on the Alberta Opportunity Stream Ineligible Occupations list; or
- that has a high volume of submissions across all AAIP stream.
Accelerated Tech Pathway Selection Criteria
Applicants who are currently working or have a job offer with an Alberta-based tech industry employer in a qualifying technology occupation may be selected under the Accelerated Tech Pathway, a fast-track immigration program for technology workers from across Canada and overseas.
To be considered for this stream, Express Entry candidates must:
- Have an active Express Entry profile with a minimum Comprehensive Ranking System score of 300;
- Have a full-time job (minimum 30 hours per week) or job offer in Alberta with an Alberta technology employer in an occupation;
- Complete an online form with the AAIP providing information about their Express Entry profile and their tech job in Alberta once they determine that they meet these assessment criteria .
Once a candidate submits the online form, the AAIP then verifies that they meet the minimum eligibility criteria to apply.
Candidates who meet the minimum eligibility criteria will receive an email from the AAIP inviting them to submit a complete application to be considered for a nomination.
Completed applications are placed in a pool of eligible applications. These applications are then reviewed by the AAIP for provincial nomination.
Contact us for Assistance
Cohen Immigration Law is a leading Canadian immigration law firm with over 45 years of experience. Cohen Immigration Law features over 60 immigration lawyers, paralegals, and professionals who are dedicated to helping you immigrate to Canada.
CanadaVisa.com was founded as the online presence of Cohen Immigration Law. Since its launch in 1994, CanadaVisa has grown into one of the globe's most trusted resources on Canadian immigration. If you want to immigrate to Canada through the AAIP or another skilled worker pathway, the first step is to complete a free CanadaVisa assessment form. If you are eligible for Canadian immigration, a member of the Cohen Immigration Law team will reach out to provide you with as much assistance as possible.
Complete our FREE assessment to find out if you are eligible for Canadian immigration!