If you are interested in working as a Computer and Information Systems Manager in Canada, you will be pleased to know that the job outlook for your occupation in Canada is extremely positive. You can use this overview of the Canadian employment prospects in your field to start planning your immigration and settlement in Canada.To find out if you qualify for a Canadian immigration (permanent resident) visa please fill out our free eligibility assessment.
Computer and information systems managers plan, organize, direct, control and evaluate the activities of organizations that analyze, design, develop, implement, operate and administer computer and telecommunications software, networks and information systems. They are employed throughout the public and private sectors.
(Description from Human Resources and Skills Development Canada's National Occupation Classification, used by Canadian immigration officers, to assess an applicant's work experience.)
- Plan, organize, direct, control and evaluate the operations of information systems and electronic data processing (EDP) departments and companies
- Develop and implement policies and procedures for electronic data processing and computer systems operations and development
- Meet with clients to discuss system requirements, specifications, costs and timelines
- Assemble and manage teams of information systems personnel to design, develop, implement, operate and administer computer and telecommunications software, networks and information systems
- Control the budget and expenditures of the department, company or project
- Recruit and supervise computer analysts, engineers, programmers, technicians and other personnel and oversee their professional development and training.
Why your job prospects in Canada are excellent:
- As hiring trends in Canada are improving, workers in the high-tech industries will be in the highest demand by far. Surveys by multiple career-oriented websites have found that Canadian employers looking to hire new workers are identifying IT professionals as their biggest need.
|Find out about the salary ranges for Computer and Information Systems in different Canadian cities with our Canada Salary Calculator|
Some areas in Canada where your occupation is in demand:Waterloo, Ontario:
- The Waterloo Region, comprising the cities of Cambridge, Kitchener and Waterloo, is known as Canada’s Technology Triangle, where more than 700 technology companies employing more than 30,000 Information Technology (IT) professionals are based.
- The Waterloo Region is one of the top three markets for Information Technology investment in Ontario and Canada as a whole, along with Ottawa and Toronto.
- Waterloo has the added advantage of a significantly lower cost of living than other Canadian technology centres and still offers residents the excellent quality of life one can expect in Canada.
- This region is also home to the University of Waterloo, one of Canada’s leading universities in the IT-related fields. For the last 18 years, it has been ranked Canada’s most innovative university by Maclean’s, a reputable national publication. Innovations originating here have resulted in some of the most successful IT start-ups in recent years, such as Research In Motion and DALSA who have gone on to become leaders in the global IT market.
- The Greater Toronto Area (GTA) is the Canadian home base for many companies across many industries, with plenty of job opportunities for IT Managers in many sectors of the economy.
- In Toronto alone, there are more than 67 employers in the IT field, and job growth in this sector is expected to continue to be strong over the next couple of years.
Halifax, Nova Scotia:
- The Greater Halifax area is where most of the IT employment in the Atlantic region is concentrated, and where over 75 per cent of the IT employment in Nova Scotia is based.
- In the coming years, the job outlook in the area is fair, and companies such as Research In Motion, CGI and Xwave are expected to create numerous jobs in this region.
- This region attractive to outsourcers and companies looking to establish technical support centers, because of its well-education workforce and lower cost of living.
- Quebec-based cable giant Videotron will be entering the wireless communications market this year, and has already announced that this will result in more than 600 new jobs.
You can start looking for a job in Canada as a Computer and Information Systems Manager by using our Canada Job Search Tool.