In addition to being a Canadian citizen or Canadian permanent resident, the sponsor must meet certain requirements for Family Class Immigration Sponsorship.
Sponsorship applicants are subject to the following requirements:
- The sponsor must demonstrate the financial ability to provide the Family Sponsorship immigrant and dependents with their essential needs, should they be unable to provide for themselves, including the following:
- Food, clothing, shelter and other basic requirements of everyday living; and
- Dental and eye care, as well as other health needs not covered by public health services available to all Canadian citizens and Canadian permanent residents.
- The following agreements must be entered into with the government of Canada or Quebec:
- The sponsor must agree to provide the immigrant with essential needs for a prescribed period of time; and
- If the sponsored relative is over 19 years of age and not elderly, and the sponsor promises to support the sponsored person(s) for a prescribed period of time, the sponsored person(s) must promise to make every effort to become self-supporting.
- The sponsor must have either:
- Physical residency in Canada; or
- For Canadian citizens sponsoring a spouse, common-law partner, conjugal partner, or dependent child, a demonstrated intention to reside in Canada by the time the sponsored family member lands in Canada as a permanent resident.
- In addition, the Sponsor must be at least 18 years old, not in prison, not bankrupt, not under a removal order (if a permanent resident), and not charged with a serious offence.