We have received our immigrant visa stamp and ready to go to Alberta (we are AB PNP). Our US visa will be expired by the time we land in Canada, therefore, this will be a one way journey to Canada with no point of return to the US. That said, I want to gather some info to make sure
1. Even though we'll be receiving our SIN card through regular mail in several weeks (or months?), but, we'll get our SIN# right away when we are applying at the SIN office. Which mean, even though we don't have the physical SIN card, we can, however, use the SIN# in order to rent apt, open utilities account (cell phone, gas, electricity, etc).
2. We'll get our PR card through regular mail (or pick it up at the office for some people) within several weeks (or months?) and therefore, we can only start working when we received the card.
Much appreciated for any info.
First of all congratulations on getting your PR visa. You have mentioned that your US visa will get expired by the time you land in Canada. I don't know whether you are aware of AVR rule or not. AVR is called Automatic Visa Revalidation rule. With this rule one can re-enter into the US having expired visa with the below mentioned constarints.
1. You have to have new H1B extension approval notice.
2. You should come back to US within 30 days
3. You should not apply for US visa while you are in Canada
4. If I am correct it valids just for Canada and Mexico.
I may have missed some more information here. Please google for more info regarding this. And see below link where you can see one of our seniors's experience with this rule.
Coming to SIN cards and all, I am sorry I have very limited knowledge on that area. Hope some one will help you out here.http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/-t15729.0.html;msg382334#msg382334