+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

working in US while staying in CA

Luvacanadian

Feb 18, 2013
I had read a month or 2 ago in the thread about someone working in US and staying with their spouse in CA while awaiting for PR. I can't find it in the thread so I am going to ask,
I was wondering if that is possible to do? I am staying with my husband in CA while we wait but I was thinking about getting a job in the US just across the border until this all goes through and I can work here in CA. does anyone know if this is ok, or what kinds of hassle's etc will happen?
all help is appreciated

Thanks

Jen

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
If you're thinking of working remotely (i.e. getting a job in the US that you can do from home while in Canada) - that should be fine.

If you're thinking of crossing back and forth across the border each day to work in the US during the day and then spend evening/nights in Canada, then sooner or later the chances are extremely high that you will be stopped by Canadian immigration and told you can't keep doing this. Once this happens, best case scenario is that you're allowed in with a warning. Worst case scenario is that you receive a one year exclusion order (if you encounter an immigration official who really doesn't like what you're doing).

Luvacanadian

Feb 18, 2013
Thanks that was helpful. I have heard of people doing this from reading the forums just not sure how it worked out for them. Thank you for the reply

Jen

Alex54321

Jul 28, 2017
USA
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
20-10-2017
AOR Received.
01-12-2017
If you're thinking of working remotely (i.e. getting a job in the US that you can do from home while in Canada) - that should be fine.

If you're thinking of crossing back and forth across the border each day to work in the US during the day and then spend evening/nights in Canada, then sooner or later the chances are extremely high that you will be stopped by Canadian immigration and told you can't keep doing this. Once this happens, best case scenario is that you're allowed in with a warning. Worst case scenario is that you receive a one year exclusion order (if you encounter an immigration official who really doesn't like what you're doing).
1. Well, I am "thinking of crossing back and forth across the border each day to work in the US (actually just 4 days a week+ 1 day working from home) during the day and then spend evening/nights in Canada" - the only difference is I am a dual US/CAN citizen.
2. Is it doable plan as far as proving Q5 of Document Checklist IMM5533? (Employment/Source of Support -
If you are not working in Canada, provide other documentation showing that you can support the person(s) you are sponsoring. This must include a detailed explanation of how you plan to support yourself and the sponsored person(s) on a separate piece of paper.)
3. On the other hand is it a bad point (commute to US) of proving my intend to return to Canada, when my spouse PR application is approved?

In short, I am working with my US employer for 19 years and hope to continue work with him until retirement. The distance to commute is just 30miles (50km) - 40-50 min or 1hr depending on delays at the border. Why look for Canadian job if I can keep my US one and live in Canada?

davidb57

Star Member
Jun 20, 2016
I worked in the US and I used to cross to canada every weekend while waiting for my PR. Never had an issue.