+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Working in Canada; can I get a new visa at the US border?

aerandir90

Apr 1, 2017
My pld visa and work permit expired on May 22 due to my old passport expiry.

I got my new work permit on May 24 and now I need to get a new visa. I wanted to know if it's possible to drive to the US border, potentially cross over, return and apply for a new visa there. I figure it'll save me time if I get that visa instantly as I need to travel soon.

Has anyone done this before?

If it makes any difference, I would be going to Johnstown south of Ottawa.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
My pld visa and work permit expired on May 22 due to my old passport expiry.

I got my new work permit on May 24 and now I need to get a new visa. I wanted to know if it's possible to drive to the US border, potentially cross over, return and apply for a new visa there. I figure it'll save me time if I get that visa instantly as I need to travel soon.

Has anyone done this before?

If it makes any difference, I would be going to Johnstown south of Ottawa.
TRVs can't be issued at the border. You need to apply to IRCC.

aerandir90

Apr 1, 2017
TRVs can't be issued at the border. You need to apply to IRCC.
I just wanted to ask one more question. I'm filling out form IMM5708E. Based on my information, do you know which one of these categories I need to check?
- Extension of my temporary resident status
- Restoration of temporary resident status as a visitor
- Initial temporary resident permit or extension of temporary resident permit

Based on this site, I'm choosing Restoration of status, but CIC won't let me upload the pdf, giving me this error: Your status expiry date in the answer you provided previously does not correspond to the Restoration in your form.

These are some relevant q/a from that eligibility form:
What would you like to do in Canada? Visit
How long are you planning to stay in Canada? Temporarily - more than 6 months
What is your current immigration status in Canada? Worker
When does your status in Canada expire? January 28, 2019

In my application, I've selected my 'current status' as Worker, and I gave the same to/from dates as my work permit has: May 24 2017 to Jan 28 2019.

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
These are some relevant q/a from that eligibility form:
What would you like to do in Canada? Visit
How long are you planning to stay in Canada? Temporarily - more than 6 months[
What is your current immigration status in Canada? Worker
Change the bolded answer to "work" and you should be able to reach the selection of Work Permit application and Temporary Resident Visa, then continue onto the TRV application. As previously mentioned, you wish to apply for a TRV, not extension/restoration/TRP.

aerandir90

Apr 1, 2017
Change the bolded answer to "work" and you should be able to reach the selection of Work Permit application and Temporary Resident Visa, then continue onto the TRV application. As previously mentioned, you wish to apply for a TRV, not extension/restoration/TRP.
Thanks for the clarification and your help! However, after I changed the answer to "work" and proceeded, I only got an option of applying for a work permit, and then after the 'additional questions' round, I reached a dead-end after I said I don't have an LMIA (I don't need one as I'm working on a PGWP). Here's a screenshot of my eligibility form. Any other recommendations?

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
Thanks for the clarification and your help! However, after I changed the answer to "work" and proceeded, I only got an option of applying for a work permit, and then after the 'additional questions' round, I reached a dead-end after I said I don't have an LMIA (I don't need one as I'm working on a PGWP). Here's a screenshot of my eligibility form. Any other recommendations?
Which country issued your passport--Canada? Or is it because you got it at the local embassy/consulate?

This should be your country of citizenship instead. I think correcting this should lead you to the TRV application.

aerandir90

Apr 1, 2017
Ah that did it! It's confusing because I got my new passport in Canada and I thought I had to enter the 'Place of Issue'. I think it would be clearer if the form said 'Country of Citizenship'.

Thank you very much for your help!