+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Working Holiday Visa Holder - Employed by UK company

MaritimeM

Jan 31, 2013
Hi there,

Apologies if I have posted this in the wrong section but I'm really in need of some advice. The background is that I currently hold a working holiday visa (valid for 1 yr) and I'm currently employed by a UK company working remotely from Vancouver but the company are looking to make be a contractor. They want to wait a few months before offering me a contractors contract just in case I decide that Canada is not for me and I come home.

In the meantime I would be extremely grateful to hear whether:

1. I can legally work here as a contractor on a working holiday visa and

2. how I would go about paying tax (I know thats a vague question)

Worse case scenario is that i would have to cut ties with my UK company but I really dont want to have to do this.

Any feedback greatly apprecaited.

MacN

Feb 6, 2013
Hi MaritimeM. I have the same questions that you have on this. I am on a working holiday visa also. I currently work with a construction company but have the chance to go working on my own. But I am not sure whether I can or not while on the working holiday visa. Have you heard anymore on this? I have contacted the smallbusinessbc website earlier and hopefully will hear from them soon.

markstimson

Star Member
Aug 24, 2011
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-02-2013
File Transfer...
22-03-2013
VISA ISSUED...
02-10-2013
Hi guys. You will be pleased to know that what you are seeking exists because it is what I do! Long story short, met a Canadian girl in UK, loved my job, my GF's UK visa expired so I obtained an IEC visa and told my employers I was leaving. They asked me to stay and work remotely in Canada. Challenge is I then had a Canadian work visa but would be working for a UK company and be paying UK taxes but living in Canada! That obviously isn't allowed and I had no intention of breaking any laws.

So I am 'employed' by what is called an Umbrella company as a contractor, who charge my former employers for my services. They send an invoice, and release my wages to me when the invoice is paid. My umbrella company deduct my taxes and all other charges. There are many independent contractor companies offering tr service but there are some facts you need to know:

1. They will deduct a percentage of your wage for the service.
2. It will cost them around $6k a year for various mandatory charges that any employer must pay the govt which will be added to your invoice, so either you or your UK company will need to absorb this.

There are probably other ways of being self employed but I find this to be the easiest and worry free option.

MaritimeM

Jan 31, 2013
Hey markstimson thks for the prompt response which is much appreciated, also glad to hear that someone else has gone through the same process. At the risk of exhausting any good will are you able to advise the name of the company that you went with.

How long have you been in Canada for, still enjoying things out here?

Emily Millns

Jun 30, 2016
Hi there, I am in the same situation. Working remotely from Vancouver for a UK company on a one year work visa but looking to apply for PR. Has anyone managed to stay longer? Apply for PR? Any help would be much appreciated, my company want me to stay.