+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

*********************WORKING EXPERIENCE WHILE ON COOP WP**********

Mjkab

Aug 29, 2016
*********************WORKING EXPERIENCE WHILE ON COOP WP**************************************

Hi,

To make up 1-year working experience, can I count working experience while I was on co-op intern work permit?

Or since I started work after completed and submitted my project for my diploma (1-year program) on 9 months of the period, can I count those 3 months work to make up 1-year work experience for CEC?

Please have a look and help me.

Thank you.

JanP

Sep 29, 2016
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
14-02-2017
Passport Req..
02-05-2017
VISA ISSUED...
16-05-2017
LANDED..........
21-05-2017
Thank you!
But I had already applied for PGWP and waiting for PGWP.
Please reply!
Hmm I see what you are saying. My question though is, for that time when you were waiting on your PGWP what work permit where you working on/what was your status? If you were working on your say off-campus work permit and your study permit was still valid and that your legal status at that point they might consider it still to be experience earned while being a student.

They do however specifically say in that link "Co-op terms and apprenticeships completed before graduating do not count as skilled work experience". Hence did you have your graduation ceremony before this work experience? Since yours is a specific case you might need to contact them to check how this applies to you. Also based on what you have to submit and prove for graduation etc post ITA, I would think that safest option would be to count experience after graduation only or after your PGWP if these few months will not significantly change things for you.

Reactions: Mjkab

Mjkab

Aug 29, 2016
Hmm I see what you are saying. My question though is, for that time when you were waiting on your PGWP what work permit where you working on/what was your status? If you were working on your say off-campus work permit and your study permit was still valid and that your legal status at that point they might consider it still to be experience earned while being a student.

They do however specifically say in that link "Co-op terms and apprenticeships completed before graduating do not count as skilled work experience". Hence did you have your graduation ceremony before this work experience? Since yours is a specific case you might need to contact them to check how this applies to you. Also based on what you have to submit and prove for graduation etc post-ITA, I would think that safest option would be to count experience after graduation only or after your PGWP if these few months will not significantly change things for you.
Thank you!
those few months for me is a matter. Because I have 1-year PGWP that will be expired on Aug 17.
I worked on off campus and on a study permit. However, I received my diploma at the time of 10 months of the 1-year diploma program.
Thanks

Mjkab

Aug 29, 2016

They do however specifically say in that link "Co-op terms and apprenticeships completed before graduating do not count as skilled work experience". Hence did you have your graduation ceremony before this work experience? Since yours is a specific case you might need to contact them to check how this applies to you. Also based on what you have to submit and prove for graduation etc post ITA, I would think that safest option would be to count experience after graduation only or after your PGWP if these few months will not significantly change things for you.
Can you please check this statement from CIC:
Can I work while I am waiting to receive my post-graduation work permit?
You can work full-time while waiting for a decision on your post-graduation work permit application if, at the time you submitted your application, you:

• had a valid study permit,
  • had completed your program of study,
  • were eligible to work off-campus without a permit, and
  • did not work off-campus more than 20 hours a week during academic sessions.
Since it said yes you can work full time I believe it is considered as PGWP.