+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work permit process query

Oct 5, 2017
Hello, would really appreciate any help I can get! My employer has applied for my LMIA approval.. In the meantime I have got all documentation ready for a work permit. Can someone please help me with the following queries?
1. Assuming my work permit has been approved, is that enough to travel to Canada? Or do i need another visa or temporary resident permit? ( I have a tourist visa valid til 2024)
2. At what point can I start the application for my spouse?

akshaym

Sep 16, 2017
Hello, would really appreciate any help I can get! My employer has applied for my LMIA approval.. In the meantime I have got all documentation ready for a work permit. Can someone please help me with the following queries?
1. Assuming my work permit has been approved, is that enough to travel to Canada? Or do i need another visa or temporary resident permit? ( I have a tourist visa valid til 2024)
2. At what point can I start the application for my spouse?
Hi,

Work permit is good enough to travel to canada. You can also check by filling up the eligibility form on CIC website. It will list out all the documents needed for your case. Need to mention your current country of residence.

You can submit SOWP with your application also. Or even if you apply for yourself can apply for spouse anytime after that. I hope this helps

akshaym

Sep 16, 2017
Hi,

Well the processing time for a visitor visa is surely less compared to a SOWP. Again it depends from which country you are applying and if it is an online or paper application. But i have also read that it is a bit of risk of refusal if you are trying to convert a visitor visa to an open work permit within canada. May be the Spouse has to return to home country and apply fresh. Not sure.

I would suggest if all goes well for your application that is after your LMIA approval you can apply for a SOWP along with your application. Just need to check the documents before applying or else if you miss a document could lead to a delay or refusal.

I am in the same situation but the only difference is that I will be applying for my Wife's OWP later if I get an approval. I would also suggest that you should consult an immigration lawyer and try to hire an authorised representative.

I Hope It helps and Best of Luck.

Oct 5, 2017
Hello ! thank you for the reply. I am going to take your advise and apply for my spouse once I get a positive response for my application. I am thinking of applying an open work permit for my husband. does he still need to apply for a visitor visa? ( when i try to apply online there is not option to visit for longer than 6 months)

akshaym

Sep 16, 2017
Hello ! thank you for the reply. I am going to take your advise and apply for my spouse once I get a positive response for my application. I am thinking of applying an open work permit for my husband. does he still need to apply for a visitor visa? ( when i try to apply online there is not option to visit for longer than 6 months)
Hi Annette..

There is no need to apply for a visitor visa with the SOWP. You should either apply for a visitor visa or a SOWP.

Applicants who are applying for work permits LMIA based or exempt can take their spouse on an open work permit. Applying for a visitor visa can create confusion and lead to delays or a refusal. I was reading a case where someone applied for a TRV and got rejected. However, it is also possible to apply for a visitor visa and then after landing in canada your husband can find a job and then apply for a SOWP.

Every case is different and if you and your husband have all the necessary documents then you can apply together or else also have an option to apply later whichever is advisable to you from a recognised lawyer or a consultant.

Last edited: