+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work permit after PNP nomination (inland)

jabba1

Star Member
Feb 4, 2017
Hi!
I have a question, currently I work in Manitoba and apply for nomination through MPNP. My question is:
- after nomination my first work permit will have employment restriction, is it possible to apply for BOWP after AOR and get an open work permit?
- if my work permit expires can I go home and wait for my PR to be processed or do I have to maintain WP during the whole PR process?

Thank You!

mf4361

Champion Member
Apr 17, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18 Nov 2015
Nomination.....
12 Oct 2015
AOR Received.
25 Feb 2016
IELTS Request
Sent
Med's Request
28 Oct 2016
Med's Done....
14 Nov 2016
Passport Req..
27 Feb 2017
VISA ISSUED...
15 Mar 2017
LANDED..........
16 Mar 2017
1. No. If your nomination has employment restriction, you are not eligible for BOWP. You should instead get Closed WP-LMIA exempted
2. You can move home and notify CIC, but you can stay if you apply for closed WP

Reactions: jabba1

jabba1

Star Member
Feb 4, 2017
I'm asking because I'd like to know how nomination is tied to current employer, 16months of PR processing time is a long period of time, you never know if they won't let you go etc. So for example if they let me go options are:
- go home and wait for PR processing
- find another job and apply for WP-LMIA exempted PR with another employer
is that correct?

Wonderland_1010

Champion Member
Aug 24, 2015
Regina, SK
Category........
PNP
I'm asking because I'd like to know how nomination is tied to current employer, 16months of PR processing time is a long period of time, you never know if they won't let you go etc. So for example if they let me go options are:
is that correct?

If you applied your PR based on your nomination which is restricted to your current employer then you must apply for a closed work permit and stay with the same employer during the process of your PR. If you quit or leave your employer that is listed on your nomination then your PR is void and will be cancelled if MPNP notifies CIC that you're no longer working with your employer.

BOWP is only for those who have no employment restrictions on their nominations.

mf4361

Champion Member
Apr 17, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18 Nov 2015
Nomination.....
12 Oct 2015
AOR Received.
25 Feb 2016
IELTS Request
Sent
Med's Request
28 Oct 2016
Med's Done....
14 Nov 2016
Passport Req..
27 Feb 2017
VISA ISSUED...
15 Mar 2017
LANDED..........
16 Mar 2017
is that correct?
PNP employer-driven streams are for most part tied to permanent term employees, so laid off is not as common as some other arrangement, but perfectly possible

if you are laid off, you must notify PNP office or CIC (if already in PR process). You can stay in Canada but you cannot work for anyone else, unless you proceed to apply for another LMIA and Closed WP

Duvick

Sep 20, 2017
Hi!
So, I submitted my documents to Manitoba PNP (Inland) on June 6th and my application is still in "Assessment pending"...
My Open Work Permit will expire in 30 Dec 2017 and now I'm pretty sure that I will not get the AOR before this.
What are my options?
- I could ask for a closed work permit for my current employer (what I don't know if they would agree); or
- I could extend my wife study permit to have my work permit extended (but in this case I would need to pay another term or year as an international student, which I want to avoid)

Is there another way? That support letter from the province + border procedure still exists?

Thank you for your help!!