+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Will I need a provincial health card to see a doctor when I already have coverage through employer?

Joner131

Jul 13, 2017
Hi,

I moved to Canada a year ago from the UK and never got round to applying for my Alberta health card. Luckily I have Manulife group benefits through my employer which covers a range of health and dental services.

I have been meaning to visit a walk-in clinic about a bad back recently, can I use my employer-provided plan for this or must I also have the provincial health card?

Thanks in advance

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You must have provincial plan. Doubt your employer-provided plan covers things that are provided without cost through medicare.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Hi,

I moved to Canada a year ago from the UK and never got round to applying for my Alberta health card. Luckily I have Manulife group benefits through my employer which covers a range of health and dental services.

I have been meaning to visit a walk-in clinic about a bad back recently, can I use my employer-provided plan for this or must I also have the provincial health card?

Thanks in advance
Employer plans never cover regular doctor visits in specific, or basically anything that a provincial plan would usually cover. Employer plans only cover things that provincial plan doesn't cover like dentist, optometrist, chiropractors, RMT, prescription drugs, etc etc.

Some employers have a "flex account' type system where you have an amount of money available to spend on any medical cost you choose. If you have something like this, it may cover any medical expenses like a doctor visit (but you'd need to check with the insurer).

If you qualify for Alberta healthcare, why don't you just apply for it and then go to the doctor?
Or for a bad back go to a chiropractor instead since your employer plan probably covers that (assuming you don't need a doctor referral)?

Joner131

Jul 13, 2017
Thanks for the replies! I coudn't seem to find this information anywhere and this was really helpful, I applied for the card today but unfortunately it takes them ten days to arrive in the mail, the chiropractor is a great idea though I will look into that

Cheers!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Do they give you a temporary copy? You can use that until you receive your card. I know in Ontario we get one to use in case our card doesn't show up in time bit we also have to wait 3 months!

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
You can still visit the doctor without the card. The clinic will have you call AHIC and confirm the coverage. Worst case you'll have to pay up front and submit the receipt later.