+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Which plan looks smoother and feasible for jobs

vinnie_man

Sep 7, 2017
HI, I'm an international student in the US, majoring in chemical engineering. I'll be graduating in a couple of years therefore I'm planning about what to do next. I tried applying for co-ops and internships whenever possible but the fact that I was a visa students always stood in my way. Right now I have come up with several plans after graduation.

plan 1: Pursuing masters or maybe a Phd in USA, in hope of getting an American job after grad school

plan 2: Getting a masters in either BC or Ontario and then making use of PNP and PGWP to get a job and PR

plan 3: Going back home, working for a few years and then applying to Canada through skilled immigration

As for plan 1 I'm not sure about job prospects due to h1b issues and work authorization. Plan 2 will be an easier route to PR but I'm not sure whether my masters without work experience will hurt me with jobs. I feel 3 will allow me to get some experience but its a longer route to my goal.

Which plan looks more smoother and feasible for jobs? and why?

Please don't give "it depends on you"/ "all 3 are similar" type answers. Give me an honest answer.

Thanks

chikoo1985

May 20, 2017
HI, I'm an international student in the US, majoring in chemical engineering. I'll be graduating in a couple of years therefore I'm planning about what to do next. I tried applying for co-ops and internships whenever possible but the fact that I was a visa students always stood in my way. Right now I have come up with several plans after graduation.

plan 1: Pursuing masters or maybe a Phd in USA, in hope of getting an American job after grad school

plan 2: Getting a masters in either BC or Ontario and then making use of PNP and PGWP to get a job and PR

plan 3: Going back home, working for a few years and then applying to Canada through skilled immigration

As for plan 1 I'm not sure about job prospects due to h1b issues and work authorization. Plan 2 will be an easier route to PR but I'm not sure whether my masters without work experience will hurt me with jobs. I feel 3 will allow me to get some experience but its a longer route to my goal.

Please don't give "it depends on you"/ "all 3 are similar" type answers. Give me an honest answer.

Thanks
Plan 4: While you are still studying apply for express entry asap. If everything goes right then you will land with PR in Canada after your graduation and in few months depending on you skill you may be able to find a good job.

Other than that I think Plan 1 looks fine. No need to get another Master, if you are already doing one. If you are lucky enough to find job (chances are high) in the U.S. and if company has Canada operation too then your Canadian PR status will help you to maybe settle their down (if you had applied for the express entry).

hamgha

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2017
App. Filed.......
07-07-2017
Nomination.....
12-04-2017
IELTS Request
21-01-2017
Med's Done....
25-04-2017

Thanks
I'm going to say it depends on you on one criteria
Do you want to get the advanced education because you want it? Will it cause you any debts or long term loans etc... for the third plan you need at least 1 year of continuous experience. Assuming you're relatively young of age and gave a good fluency in English with a masters degree, getting invited shouldn't be hard.
I think in all 3 options you'll have to wait for at least a year. (To finish masters in plan 1, applying for a a masters and getting accepted in plan 2, getting work experience in plan 3)
Check all the different streams. The most common ones are PNP and FSW but there are several other options you can look into.
The only "incorrect" thing you have in your questions is needing to work several years for FSW. A minimum of 1 is required so if you can hold it you're good to go. (Note it has to be in NOC 0 A or B)
Sorry couldn't help more but hope i helped you get a better idea

BanglaBoy

Sep 27, 2012
Michigan, USA
Just wanted to add the fact that you'd need a minimum of 1 year of continuous, full time, paid work experience in the same NOC level (0/A/B) to be eligible for express entry. So, applying for express entry while being a student is not an option.

kirribilliCN

Star Member
Aug 23, 2017

Thanks
Plan#2 (assuming you are doing bachelor's now and will be pursuing Master's in Canada)