+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Where to settle down in Ontario?

bossofbees

Star Member
Jan 10, 2017
NOC Code......
Hi all, I'm a single guy of 28 landing in Pearson airport in Jan of 2018. After that I plan to rent a cheap basement and start looking for survival jobs until I can get my engineer's license. In the meantime, I might also take up some technical courses at a local college. I am undecided on which city to stay in Ontario; Toronto is big and expensive. I want to live in a place which is not so crowded, and where public transit is accessible but not too far from downtown in case I have to work or travel there. Can anyone suggest which city town or suburb suits my needs?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Define cheap and where is your work place. Do you realize you don't have to live near downtown to find work?

vensak

VIP Member
Jul 14, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
How about this. You will have problem to rent anything at all (including basement), without any job on your hand. So most likely you will start as Airbnb and then you move on as a roommate (easier to get a room than to get whole unit for yourself). Then you will go for work and then much later after you will get your licence.

Good luck.

bossofbees

Star Member
Jan 10, 2017
NOC Code......
How about this. You will have problem to rent anything at all (including basement), without any job on your hand. So most likely you will start as Airbnb and then you move on as a roommate (easier to get a room than to get whole unit for yourself). Then you will go for work and then much later after you will get your licence.

Good luck.
I also think that is the likely scenario, I was reading about Burlington, Oshawa and some other towns/ cities but still undecided. The reason I'm landing in Ontario is to be at a central place where there are more job opportunities. But I guess that also comes at a price.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
If you are planning on taking a college course I would consider identifying what college. Might help determine what city and what area you may want to relocate to. There are other mid-sized cities you may want to consider if you don't want to settle in the GTA: Ottawa, Kingston, Guelph, KW, London, Windsor. Also northern Ontario cities: Sudbury, Thunder Bay, Sault Ste Marie, Kenora, North Bay, etc

StevieFray

Jan 26, 2015
Nomination.....
17-07-2017
Passport Req..
15-01-2018
Don't wait to get a survival job, look for engineering jobs from now in your field. Even if a license is required, you can still try. Similar to renting apt, start looking online.

bossofbees

Star Member
Jan 10, 2017
NOC Code......
Of course, it will be great to find a job in my field so I won't have to do odd jobs. In the beginning, I might stay in a motel or airbnb then eventually move out but to rent I will require job letter. How will I find a job without having a steady address?

Gregor.Samsa

Feb 7, 2015
Alberta
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
2016-03 (EE), TFW since 2012-04
Don't wait to get a survival job, look for engineering jobs from now in your field. Even if a license is required, you can still try. Similar to renting apt, start looking online.
Agreed, but note you don't need a license to get a Engineering job, but you may need to start from a lower position.

Anyways you cannot get a Engineering License without Canadian experience.

So try to get a Engineering related job, keep survival jobs as an option if needed

Note that a Canadian MSc in Construction management or similar can improve your chances getting a Engineering job

Reactions: StevieFray

Gregor.Samsa

Feb 7, 2015
Alberta
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
2016-03 (EE), TFW since 2012-04
Of course, it will be great to find a job in my field so I won't have to do odd jobs. In the beginning, I might stay in a motel or airbnb then eventually move out but to rent I will require job letter. How will I find a job without having a steady address?
You can provide your temporary address when requested and later provide your new address, not a problem I guess

Amatsukami

Jun 27, 2018
Cameroon
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
IELTS Request
01-12-2018
Hi all, I'm a single guy of 28 landing in Pearson airport in Jan of 2018. After that I plan to rent a cheap basement and start looking for survival jobs until I can get my engineer's license. In the meantime, I might also take up some technical courses at a local college. I am undecided on which city to stay in Ontario; Toronto is big and expensive. I want to live in a place which is not so crowded, and where public transit is accessible but not too far from downtown in case I have to work or travel there. Can anyone suggest which city town or suburb suits my needs?
Hello. I Hope you're doing very well.
Please what's your experience so far?
Any advice for industrial engineers?
I have similar plan in mind.
Thanks