+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

what is acceptable time to send application?

CECPR12

Apr 6, 2012
Hi guys,

I am eligible to send my citizenship application according to the residence calculator. I wanted to know how long do people wait before sending it out?
Thanks

humsafar

Jun 2, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-01-2011
Doc's Request.
Sent with initial application
IELTS Request
Sent with initial application
File Transfer...
IN PROCESS 19-10-2011
Med's Request
20-07-2012
Med's Done....
25-08-2012 received in London 31-08-2012
Hi guys,

I am eligible to send my citizenship application according to the residence calculator. I wanted to know how long do people wait before sending it out?
Thanks
It depends how many trips you have made outside Canada, but generaly a 10 days buffer should be reasonable

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
This is a very personal decision regarding which the particular prospective applicant needs to consider the specific facts and circumstances in his or her situation.

At minimum, a decent margin is a good idea. Remember, it is not just a matter of making sure there is enough of a margin to cover any potential errors (and the more frequent one traveled the larger the risk of errors), but for the applicant who is hoping his or her application sails smoothly through the process, it is a matter of how much margin is needed to make a total stranger bureaucrat comfortable in making a favourable decision without conducting further inquiries or examinations into verifying dates of presence in Canada.

Many suggest ten days. For most applicants who are very confident about how accurate and complete their travel dates are, my sense is that a thirty day margin is good. Some applicants may wait longer for reasons particular to their cases (I actually waited well over an extra year, but again that was due to specific factors in my situation).

Technically, 1460 days meets the current requirement. But, any error at all would totally sabotage the case.

Prospect of a surge in applications when 3/5 rule takes effect:

There will likely be a surge in applications when the Bill C-6 3/5 rule takes effect. Anyone who is currently eligible for citizenship, who meets the current 1460 day minimum requirement, may want to seriously consider being sure to get the application submitted before the new 3/5 rule takes effect. This would be to avoid being caught in the surge of new applications, which is likely to cause at least some slowdown in processing timelines. (How much of a surge and its actual impact on processing timelines is very, very difficult to forecast.)

The new rule could take effect any day now. There may or may not be much notice before it happens. That said, at least a week's notice is almost certain. My guess is that there will be a few weeks to somewhat more than a month's notice.

The PR who is eligible today, but who is prudently waiting awhile to build a decent margin, should watch for news about when the new rule will take effect. Sending off the application a full week ahead of when the change is scheduled to take place should suffice. (Always keep a complete copy of everything submitted to IRCC, and send the application by courier.) Thus, while my sense is to have a 30 day or more margin, the applicant who is confident about being totally accurate and complete might feel comfortable about a 20 day margin, even less, if it means sending the application a week before the changes take effect. To beat the rush.

Again, there should be at least 20 or more days notice before the new rules take effect, which should be enough time to react and complete the application, and get it sent off a week or more before the change itself.

Important caveat; when NOT to rush: Overall it is far more important to get the application right, to be complete and to be as accurate as possible. It would not be a good idea to rush making the application, even if it is to beat the new rule rush, at the risk of making mistakes and particularly if there is a risk of an omission. For those who have kept good records of all travel dates, there should not be a problem. But if the applicant needs to do some digging up records or reconstructing travel dates, it is far more important to take the time to do that and get those dates as right as possible. Errors and especially omissions can lead to extraordinarily long processing times. No good to rush the application only to have it get bogged down in the RQ process.

Family applications: If one of the adults in the application has a good margin (again, my sense is 30 days), my sense is that the other adult does not necessarily need so much of a margin . . . just enough of a margin to be sure no mistakes could cost falling below 1460. When IRCC is processing a family application they get to examine each family member in context with the others, so it is typically easier for IRCC to very that the applicants are qualified. (Caveat: if, however, one of the adults has a very different history in Canada, it is worth considering having that adult apply separately, so as to not bog down the rest of the family in any potential non-routine processing.)

Reactions: vancouverbc2013

mpsqra

Champion Member
Jul 6, 2017
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
Hi guys,

Thanks
if you wait for the new rules in fall you will earn time.

cupcakes

Jan 10, 2014
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
App. Filed.......
09-06-2014
Nomination.....
04-06-2014
AOR Received.
30-01-2015
Med's Request
30-01-2015
Med's Done....
31-01-2015
Passport Req..
05-15-2015
VISA ISSUED...
05-25-2015
LANDED..........
06-15-2015
Sending off the application a full week ahead of when the change is scheduled to take place should suffice.
I'm surprised to read this. Wouldn't the IRCC disapprove of applications being mailed before the new rules come into effect? Has this been done successfully before?

Let's say the new rules come into effect on Oct 10, 2017. I will have a 45-day margin by that date. Are you suggesting that I could send in my citizenship application on, say, Oct 5, to "beat the rush"? Wouldn't I risk having my application sent back to me, because it was sent prior to the new rules taking effect?

mpsqra

Champion Member
Jul 6, 2017
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
I'm surprised to read this. Wouldn't the IRCC disapprove of applications being mailed before the new rules come into effect? Has this been done successfully before?

Let's say the new rules come into effect on Oct 10, 2017. I will have a 45-day margin by that date. Are you suggesting that I could send in my citizenship application on, say, Oct 5, to "beat the rush"? Wouldn't I risk having my application sent back to me, because it was sent prior to the new rules taking effect?
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/c-6-coming-into-force-facts-only.513793/

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010

I suspect you are confusing an application made based on the current rules (1460 days present in Canada within the last six years), which is the situation my post was addressing (OP reports being currently eligible per the online calculator, which is still the 4/6 rule version), with what will meet the new rules when they take effect.

Any application signed a week before the new rules take effect will be processed according to the rules in effect on that date (the old rules one might say). Indeed, the date the application is signed will determine which rules apply.

Thus, if there is a notice published that the new rules will take effect October 10, 2017, someone who meets the requirements today can wait until October 2 or October 3 to send off the application, adding another nine or ten days margin. Thus, someone with 1461 days presence today can wait to apply, watching for when the new rules will take effect, and being sure to send off the application a week before the new rules take effect. That will accomplish adding to their margin and still sending in the application in time to beat the rush when the new rules take effect.

Prospective applicants who have a real interest in when the new law takes effect:

While forum interest in the date the new law will take effect is dominated by those participants who do not meet the current requirements and are anxiously awaiting news of the date the new provisions come into force, the prospective applicants who have a bigger real interest are those who are just now becoming eligible under the current rules. That is, those who are just reaching the 1460 days threshold.

This group of prospective applicants do not want to apply too soon. Too little of a margin could mean non-routine processing and longer timeline to becoming a citizen . . . or if mistakes are made, perhaps causing the application to fail. But they also do not want to wait so long that the rules change and their applications get bogged down in the rush of new applications made when the 3/5 rule comes into force. So they need to balance waiting to have a decent margin but not waiting so long they fail to beat the rush.

Fortunately this government is likely to give enough notice that those on the cusp and waiting to build more margin will have sufficient time to get their application made, under the 4/6 rules, before the 3/5 rules rush. But they need to be paying attention in order to accomplish this.

Thus:

Are you suggesting that I could send in my citizenship application on, say, Oct 5, to "beat the rush"? Wouldn't I risk having my application sent back to me, because it was sent prior to the new rules taking effect?
If you have 1475 days presence as of October 5, and are sure about your travel dates, all of them, sure, send in the application to beat the rush.

If you will not be eligible for citizenship until the new rules take effect, obviously an application made one day before the news rules take effect will fail. No matter how much of a margin you would have as of the date the news rules take effect.

By the way, it is not likely an online presence calculator will become available for new-rule applications until the day the new rules actually take effect, at the soonest.

mpsqra

Champion Member
Jul 6, 2017
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
I suspect you are confusing an application made based on the current rules (1460 days present in Canada within the last six years), which is the situation my post was addressing (OP reports being currently eligible per the online calculator, which is still the 4/6 rule version), with what will meet the new rules when they take effect.

Any application signed a week before the new rules take effect will be processed according to the rules in effect on that date (the old rules one might say). Indeed, the date the application is signed will determine which rules apply.

Thus, if there is a notice published that the new rules will take effect October 10, 2017, someone who meets the requirements today can wait until October 2 or October 3 to send off the application, adding another nine or ten days margin. Thus, someone with 1461 days presence today can wait to apply, watching for when the new rules will take effect, and being sure to send off the application a week before the new rules take effect. That will accomplish adding to their margin and still sending in the application in time to beat the rush when the new rules take effect.

Prospective applicants who have a real interest in when the new law takes effect:

While forum interest in the date the new law will take effect is dominated by those participants who do not meet the current requirements and are anxiously awaiting news of the date the new provisions come into force, the prospective applicants who have a bigger real interest are those who are just now becoming eligible under the current rules. That is, those who are just reaching the 1460 days threshold.

This group of prospective applicants do not want to apply too soon. Too little of a margin could mean non-routine processing and longer timeline to becoming a citizen . . . or if mistakes are made, perhaps causing the application to fail. But they also do not want to wait so long that the rules change and their applications get bogged down in the rush of new applications made when the 3/5 rule comes into force. So they need to balance waiting to have a decent margin but not waiting so long they fail to beat the rush.

Fortunately this government is likely to give enough notice that those on the cusp and waiting to build more margin will have sufficient time to get their application made, under the 4/6 rules, before the 3/5 rules rush. But they need to be paying attention in order to accomplish this.

Thus:

If you have 1475 days presence as of October 5, and are sure about your travel dates, all of them, sure, send in the application to beat the rush.

If you will not be eligible for citizenship until the new rules take effect, obviously an application made one day before the news rules take effect will fail. No matter how much of a margin you would have as of the date the news rules take effect.

By the way, it is not likely an online presence calculator will become available for new-rule applications until the day the new rules actually take effect, at the soonest.
and remember the taxes, not only the time,,, taxes payed,,,

mpsqra

Champion Member
Jul 6, 2017
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa

Thus:

c'est la vie, mon ami

justinline

May 19, 2009
Man let him be.....if you dont like his chapter long explanation dont read. I personally have found dpenabill mile long posts helpful, some just puts me to sleep.....as well. People here are just expressing their opinions and experiences......so put it in a sentence or few paragraphs, its your choice buddy, read what you like ignore what you dont, simple.

cempjwi

Mar 14, 2012
CANADA
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
App. Filed.......
31-Jul-12
Doc's Request.
09-Feb-13; Sent 13-Mar-13
AOR Received.
15-Oct-12; In-process 26-Mar-13
File Transfer...
15-Oct-12
Med's Request
02-Apr-13 Chest Xray Only
Med's Done....
14-May-12; 04-Apr-13 (Delivered 15-Apr-13)
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
19-Apr-2013
VISA ISSUED...
19-Apr-2013 (Rcvd May 15th, 2013)
LANDED..........
1-July-2013
if you wait for the new rules in fall you will earn time.
That's a really good point. Those that by far exceed the 1095 days due to the rule change may not be questioned too much about their time calculation when the margin of accuracy is large. People who would have had their 1460 days in November, for example, would have well over the 1095 days required under c-6 in October (if c-6 is implemented by then). People who have 1095 plus just a few days will be scrutinized much longer and more carefully. Or so I think.

Reactions: mpsqra

devilhimselff

Champion Member
Jul 10, 2005
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
Yep...
Hi guys,

Thanks
I'll wait for a couple of weeks, if you have few trips. Idea is if you over calculated you'll have a safe buffer. If zero or 1-2 trips I guess a week or so.