+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What happens if we dont apply for PR card during short landing ?

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
I think I don't have enough info.

what is PRTD and PA? and when do we require it?
PRTD=perm resident travel document , PA= primary applicant

A PRTD is required if someone is out of Canada without a PR card and needs to board a plane to come back given without a card or a PRTD a PR cannot board a plane.

The primary applicant must land first and then any spouse/dependants land at same time or later . Once landed , both PA and dependants , then the latter can apply for either PR cards or PRTD independantly regardless of the PA PR status.

Last edited:

kirribilliCN

Star Member
Aug 23, 2017
Hi All,
Still in doubts about handling our PR cards during the short landing in Oct 2017. We have reliable friends in Canada but somehow not settling with the fact of couriering PR card... somehow not comfortable taking this risk.

So what are our odds :
1) When landing , we tell the IO that we do not have an address yet ? And we need to go back to sort things back home before we land here for good ? Is this the right thing to do ? OR what is the best way to handle ?

2) Apply for PRTD when we plan to come back ? I am the primary applicant but due to job reasons , my spouse may come before me for long term - can he be independent in getting the PRTD before me ? I will then follow him after a few months.

3) For the permanent move, if my spouse comes first, can he apply for the PR card before me ? And then when I land , I can apply ?

4) Bank accounts and SIN are not dependent of PR card - any other things that are dependent ?

We may be a risk averse family, hence please suggest if this is a better approach. Any other ideas / thoughts are welcome.

Cheers
Just don't over think this. Apply for PR card with your friend address and have them Fedex you. They will simply say"Personal documents or Immigration documents" in the customs declaration form. It seems absurd to be illegal to mail PR card, I am not sure this is a fact or urban myth.

This is similar to people saying "you can't mail your Indian passports to Canada from U.S for COPR approval because you can't mail your passports out of country" - that sounds great on paper but don't you think CIC would have thought of that legal ramification before asking to mail them our passports? Similarly it would be hypocritical for CIC/IRCC to say that you can't mail Canadian PR cards across border but we expect you to mail your third country passports to Canada across border. The reason any country want you to avoid doing this is because to prevent fraud and theft not to shackle citizenry when there is a genuine need.

Reactions: APPNOV2014NY

Meylis

Oct 5, 2016
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
I am a PA. If I come without my family for first/soft landing, can I apply for PR cards for all of my family members? Or do they gave to physically present there?

Thank you.

PRTD=perm resident travel document , PA= primary applicant

A PRTD is required if someone is out of Canada without a PR card and needs to board a plane to come back given without a card or a PRTD a PR cannot board a plane.

The primary applicant must land first and then any spouse/dependants land at same time or later . Once landed , both PA and dependants , then the latter can apply for either PR cards or PRTD independantly regardless of the PA PR status.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
I am a PA. If I come without my family for first/soft landing, can I apply for PR cards for all of my family members? Or do they gave to physically present there?

Thank you.
You cannot apply for your family only for yourself, they have to land in order to become PRs and on their landing the PR card application will be submitted as part of the landing process. Or if not on landing then when the return to settle in Canada

Being a PR once the PA has landed and any dependants have landed is an individual responsibility to maintain and that applies to PR cards as well, the PA has no responsibility.

Meylis

Oct 5, 2016
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
Thank you!

You cannot apply for your family only for yourself, they have to land in order to become PRs and on their landing the PR card application will be submitted as part of the landing process. Or if not on landing then when the return to settle in Canada

Being a PR once the PA has landed and any dependants have landed is an individual responsibility to maintain and that applies to PR cards as well, the PA has no responsibility.