+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What happens if we dont apply for PR card during short landing ?

harmonika

Jun 26, 2017
Hi All,
Still in doubts about handling our PR cards during the short landing in Oct 2017. We have reliable friends in Canada but somehow not settling with the fact of couriering PR card... somehow not comfortable taking this risk.

So what are our odds :
1) When landing , we tell the IO that we do not have an address yet ? And we need to go back to sort things back home before we land here for good ? Is this the right thing to do ? OR what is the best way to handle ?

2) Apply for PRTD when we plan to come back ? I am the primary applicant but due to job reasons , my spouse may come before me for long term - can he be independent in getting the PRTD before me ? I will then follow him after a few months.

3) For the permanent move, if my spouse comes first, can he apply for the PR card before me ? And then when I land , I can apply ?

4) Bank accounts and SIN are not dependent of PR card - any other things that are dependent ?

We may be a risk averse family, hence please suggest if this is a better approach. Any other ideas / thoughts are welcome.

Cheers

chikoo1985

May 20, 2017
Hi All,
Still in doubts about handling our PR cards during the short landing in Oct 2017. We have reliable friends in Canada but somehow not settling with the fact of couriering PR card... somehow not comfortable taking this risk.

So what are our odds :
1) When landing , we tell the IO that we do not have an address yet ? And we need to go back to sort things back home before we land here for good ? Is this the right thing to do ? OR what is the best way to handle ? - One has 180 days to provide the address after landing

2) Apply for PRTD when we plan to come back ? I am the primary applicant but due to job reasons , my spouse may come before me for long term - can he be independent in getting the PRTD before me ? I will then follow him after a few months. - Let's wait for expert to reply on this

3) For the permanent move, if my spouse comes first, can he apply for the PR card before me ? And then when I land , I can apply ? - Primary applicant has to land first regardless of anything, I am assuming that because of this primary has to apply for the PR card first too.

4) Bank accounts and SIN are not dependent of PR card - any other things that are dependent ? - Let's wait for expert to reply on this

We may be a risk averse family, hence please suggest if this is a better approach. Any other ideas / thoughts are welcome.

Cheers

The details are in bold... most of the information I have is gathered from various forums so please double check.

drjainvishal

Dec 12, 2011
I'm in the same boat , I'm soft landing in Canada in November... Would be moving back to in a month ... Can a friend post our PR card later to us in india???

harmonika

Jun 26, 2017
After reading many threads , I think it is possible for your friend to courier it to you. Our problem is that we are not happy to take this risk , hence the situation changes

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
1) When landing , we tell the IO that we do not have an address yet ? And we need to go back to sort things back home before we land here for good ? Is this the right thing to do ? OR what is the best way to handle ?

2) Apply for PRTD when we plan to come back ? I am the primary applicant but due to job reasons , my spouse may come before me for long term - can he be independent in getting the PRTD before me ? I will then follow him after a few months.

3) For the permanent move, if my spouse comes first, can he apply for the PR card before me ? And then when I land , I can apply ?

4) Bank accounts and SIN are not dependent of PR card - any other things that are dependent ?
Hi

1. You can tell CBSA you don't have an address for the cards. You will have 180 days to submit your address for the card. If you don't give an address in that time, you will have to submit a PR card application and pay the fee. It would be easier to just give your friend's address.

2. Once you are PRs, it doesn't matter who was the PA. Your spouse's PR status will not be dependent on you.

3. Same as 2.

4. Some things can be, like a driver's license.

vensak

VIP Member
Jul 14, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you want to work, that is SIN dependent (you cannot work without it). Also some services are SIN depentent - getting your Credit card (they might wanna use your SIN to check your credit history), even in some other areas like - getting internet, they might ask for SIN.
SIN is easy to be get even without PR card.

Hushus

Star Member
Aug 15, 2017
Dubai
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi
NOC Code......
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
i need to do soft landing by mid February 2018, i asked an agent about landing in Canada and then leaving before receiving the PR card, he was saying you should wait till you receive it which takes from 3 weeks to 7 weeks, he told me you have to tell them that you need to go back to work urgently and you can not stay for long and he said then they might send it to you by 3 weeks, and i asked about a friend receiving it for me and then to come pick it up later on he said it would not be given to anyone but you, further i checked online about the PRTD some site mentioned it was up to the officer to grant it to you or not, which means its not just a routine procedure (meaning granting PRTD is not a certain thing). I checked around for couriering the PR card and they said it could get seized because its illegal to do that. i dont know what should i do. in my line of work its very difficult to get more than 10 days leave if even at all.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
i need to do soft landing by mid February 2018, i asked an agent about landing in Canada and then leaving before receiving the PR card, he was saying you should wait till you receive it which takes from 3 weeks to 7 weeks, he told me you have to tell them that you need to go back to work urgently and you can not stay for long and he said then they might send it to you by 3 weeks, and i asked about a friend receiving it for me and then to come pick it up later on he said it would not be given to anyone but you, further i checked online about the PRTD some site mentioned it was up to the officer to grant it to you or not, which means its not just a routine procedure (meaning granting PRTD is not a certain thing). I checked around for couriering the PR card and they said it could get seized because its illegal to do that. i dont know what should i do. in my line of work its very difficult to get more than 10 days leave if even at all.
It's not illegal to courier a PR card outside Canada. You can also consider hand deliver by a friend. Or return to Canada on foot via a land border if you have a US visa.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Stupid agent. PR card processing time is currently about 60 days, plus mailing time. There is no chance you would receive it in even 7 weeks. You will not qualify for urgent processing.

Many people who don't have a permanent address in Canada when landing have their card mailed to a family member or friend.

It is not up to the officer to decide to whether to grant a PRTD to a new PR. It would be approved.

It is not illegal to mail a PR card.

harmonika

Jun 26, 2017
So can we apply for PR card (give the friends address but don't ask him to courier it to us) and also apply for PRTD when moving for good ?
Also can dependent applicant apply for PRTD before the principal applicant ?

Regina

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2006
Beautiful British Columbia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
harmonika said:
So can we apply for PR card (give the friends address but don't ask him to courier it to us) and also apply for PRTD when moving for good ?
Has something changed recently in the process? Principal applicant HAD to land first or/and with the 'dependent" applicant. Dependent could not land BEFORE the principal applicant. Dependent might land AFTER the principal applicant landed.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Yes, you can give the friend's address for the card and apply for PRTDs to return to Canada.

Yes, a dependent can apply for a PRTD before the PA.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Has something changed recently in the process? Principal applicant HAD to land first or/and with the 'dependent" applicant. Dependent could not land BEFORE the principal applicant. Dependent might land AFTER the principal applicant landed.
They are asking about applying for a PRTD, not landing.