+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What does it mean to be a naturalized canadian citizen?

toledo

Star Member
Apr 21, 2008
Hi all,

If I become a canadian citizen, will I be considered as a naturalized canadian citizen?

Can some one define what is "naturalized Canadian citizen"? and who are considered to be naturalized canadian citizen?

Thanks.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
HI

toledo said:
Hi all,

If I become a canadian citizen, will I be considered as a naturalized canadian citizen?

Can some one define what is "naturalized Canadian citizen"? and who are considered to be naturalized canadian citizen?

Thanks.
1. A naturalized citizen is a person who does not receive citizenship through birth or parental descent, the become a PR and then after 3 years of residency in a 4 year period apply for citizenship.

PMM

farhan398

May 13, 2012
PMM said:
HI

1. A naturalized citizen is a person who does not receive citizenship through birth or parental descent, the become a PR and then after 3 years of residency in a 4 year period apply for citizenship.

PMM
I just want to check that my wife got PR through her parents but she stayed almost 6 years in Canada and studied there.. when she was 20, she applied for Citizenship and went through test and naturalization process. I understand that if you become citizen after 18 years and went through the process, you consider as first generation, i read under ehow.com website about this in "facts_6820852_citizenship-immigration-canada.html" and guide me if my understanding is correct.

tyfung

Apr 1, 2012
Sorry, I have the same question but not really understanding. I immigrated with my parents to Canada when I was 5. Since I didnt apply for citizenship I simply tagged along with my family, does that make me NOT a naturalized citizen?

Isometry

Aug 18, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo-->Seattle
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 28 2011
File Transfer...
Jan 9 2012-->Feb 9 2012
Med's Done....
Sept 19 2011
Passport Req..
March 21 2012
VISA ISSUED...
April 21 2012
LANDED..........
May 17th 2012
tyfung said:
Sorry, I have the same question but not really understanding. I immigrated with my parents to Canada when I was 5. Since I didnt apply for citizenship I simply tagged along with my family, does that make me NOT a naturalized citizen?
Generally, if you qualified for Canadian citizenship at birth, then you are not considered naturalized. If your family was Canadian and just moved back to Canada when you were 5, and you were a Canadian citizen by birth, then you're not naturalized. If your entire family immigrated when you were 5, and you became a citizen later when you qualified, then you are naturalized.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
hi I have a 8 year old child who was born in Canada. how can I become naturalized?
There's no path right now. You cannot naturalize yourself through a child that is 8 years old.

Once the child is an adult and has worked in Canada for at least three years and is earning income that meets the low income requirements, your child may qualify to sponsor you for PR. So best case scenario you are probably 15 years away from being able to benefit from having a Canadian citizen child.

EWill

Jun 2, 2019
Ok..here is what...I have a 5 years visitors visa and I want to immigrate to Canada. If I go through express entry I only have about 430 points. What is the best thing to do?
1. Should I enter Canada then apply for a 3 - 5 years work permit
2. Should I enter Canada then apply for a 1 year work permit and renew every year?
3. Should I work without a work permit (I qualify) and leave and reenter every 5 months?

Keep in mind that I could be doing any of the above while my profile has been created.

Would I be able to open bank accounts or rent apartments on a visitors visa?
Thanks for you soon responce

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Ok..here is what...I have a 5 years visitors visa and I want to immigrate to Canada. If I go through express entry I only have about 430 points. What is the best thing to do?
1. Should I enter Canada then apply for a 3 - 5 years work permit
2. Should I enter Canada then apply for a 1 year work permit and renew every year?
3. Should I work without a work permit (I qualify) and leave and reenter every 5 months?

Keep in mind that I could be doing any of the above while my profile has been created.

Would I be able to open bank accounts or rent apartments on a visitors visa?
Thanks for you soon responce
If your objective is to immigrate to Canada, then you need to increase your points to 450+ if you want to be eligible for Express Entry. You can look into improving your language test results to increase your points. Or, if possible, have your employer obtain an approved LMIA.

If you can't increase your points sufficiently, then I would recommend you look into the PNP progam for the province where you are currently working.