+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Waiting period for health insurance in British Columbia

David006

Oct 4, 2014
Hello,

My wife and I are moving to Canada for 2 years to work staring March 2015. We have been told that we both will be covered by British Columbia health cover except for the first 3 months we are there. My company will cover me for the first 3 months, but not my wife. If she is pregnant before we arrive in Canada, but has the child after the 3 month waiting period, will this be covered?

Any help much appreciated.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It's actually 2 months plus the balance of the third so if you were to move for example any time in March 2015, your waiting period is the remainder of March plus April and May so you would have coverage June 1st.

If your wife were to give birth before June 1st, you would have to pay. If it were on June 1st or later, it would be covered. Or you could move at the end of February and then you would be covered as of May 1st.

Another thing to watch out for is that in order to be eligible for health care in BC, you must reside there at least 6 months a year. If your wife were to decide that she doesn't like Canada and wants to return home and if she would end up not spending 6 months in BC in the first 12 months after moving there, BC health care could retroactively cancel her coverage and send her the bill for the birth of your child.

Steevy

May 31, 2014
Vancouver
What you may do is to purchase a private plan while waiting for MSP coverage that will cover standard medical emergencies as well as those related to pregnancy such as abdominal pain, miscarriage, bleeding, etc.

You may find the plan if you click HERE.

Last edited:

goldenbrown

Jan 11, 2011
Vancouver
It never hurts to call and ask MSP just to make sure of the eligibility. There's also a form for newborn enrollment for MSP found on their website. You can check it out:

<a href=https://www.health.gov.bc.ca/exforms/msp/baby_enrolment.html/>MSP Baby Enrollment</a>

also there's some useful information in an article about the requirements for MSP:

<a href=http://arbetovinsurance.com/2014/10/07/ohip-msp-waiting-periods-explained/>MSP Waiting Period Info</a>

P_A_R_I

Oct 24, 2014
Is it 6 months in the first 12 months or 6 months in a calendar year??
If one is arriving later than 30 June I think remaining time period will be waived off? Please anyone could clear on that?
and 6 months count from the day of landing/ application for MSP OR after one receives Medical coverage?
Like if one lands on 25 August in British Columbia, what all are the necessary steps to apply for MSP and how long one needs to stay?