+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visual Artist

altarianf

Oct 12, 2017
I had read that performing artists and visual artists do not need a work permit to work in Canada under certain conditions. I was interested in visiting Canada regularly to draw portraits on the street and sell them to customers for a small fee. Would this be legal as along as I left the country frequently? I understood the rule to have something to do with the duration of the artist's visit.

justinrmc

Oct 31, 2017
I don't know the answer but I also would be interested in finding out more about this. Maybe my post will trigger some responses or have you found out anything more about this since you posted?

altarianf

Oct 12, 2017
I have not heard anything new about this as far as Canadian law. My plan was to attempt drawing portraits on the Montreal metro because it's difficult to do this in cold winter weather, but I was told that the constitution of the metro would not allow it, yet I'm not so sure how reliable that source was. Other than that I had thought Montreal might be a place more accepting of this sort of artwork and might be a good fit for me. Maybe I'll have to wait till the summer though.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I have not heard anything new about this as far as Canadian law. My plan was to attempt drawing portraits on the Montreal metro because it's difficult to do this in cold winter weather, but I was told that the constitution of the metro would not allow it, yet I'm not so sure how reliable that source was. Other than that I had thought Montreal might be a place more accepting of this sort of artwork and might be a good fit for me. Maybe I'll have to wait till the summer though.
I believe what you're referring to is the rule that allows buskers to busk in Canada without a work permit. This rule is in place with outdoor / street festivals in mind.

Generally speaking, this won't apply to any metro stations (in Montreal or elsewhere) since you require a busker permit to busk inside the station. So you should assume that busking inside any metro station won't be possible.

altarianf

Oct 12, 2017
How about as far as outdoor busking. Is this restricted to festivals and does someone need to pay for or reserve a spot?