+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor visa for fiancee's brother for our wedding? Philippines

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
on his form it asks "Funds available for his stay" since I am funding the entire trip, should I put $0, or Should I put like $7,000 (enough to cover ticket, activities ect"
It's not a good idea to indicate that you will pay for all his expenses and he has zero funds of his own.

Can he prove he has some funds?

joeythecat

Jun 16, 2016
It's not a good idea to indicate that you will pay for all his expenses and he has zero funds of his own.

Can he prove he has some funds?
He has no bank account and no way of proving funds. His mother has a store and that's how they support themselves. He is a full time student and does not have a job. At the start of this thread someone told me that it would be better not to open an account for him and dump money in it, they said that it would look suspicious that a student would have so much money

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
He is a full time student and does not have a job. At the start of this thread someone told me that it would be better not to open an account for him and dump money in it, they said that it would look suspicious that a student would have so much money
That's right. It would look suspicious.

IMO, if he is unable to prove any finances (or financial support from a relative/family member in the Philippines), it would imply his economic situation is extremely weak which significantly reduces his chances of a TRV approval

joeythecat

Jun 16, 2016
That's right. It would look suspicious.

IMO, if he is unable to prove any finances (or financial support from a relative/family member in the Philippines), it would imply his economic situation is extremely weak which significantly reduces his chances of a TRV approval
Yes I know this. Him being a student isn't a good thing. We have no proof that he has any money at all, my fiancée sends money back home to help support the family, but they have basically nothing. We know this is a long shot, but we have to try and hope that somehow he gets approved. My fiancée has nobody here in Canada for our wedding and this will just break her heart.

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
I suggest you focus really well on his other strong ties such as his study program.

Can some of the money transferred by your fiancée be shown as available funds for his visit?
Does he have any other siblings/family members who live with his mom?
Does he volunteer for charity/similar causes?
Is he a member of a sports club?
Does he have any event (academic or family) that's scheduled after his intended visit?

joeythecat

Jun 16, 2016
I suggest you focus really well on his other strong ties such as his study program.

Can some of the money transferred by your fiancée be shown as available funds for his visit?
Does he have any event (academic or family) that's scheduled after his intended visit?
When she sends him the money, they take it as cash, so there is no trail of the funds unfortunately. He has a brother that lives with him and his mom who works for Toyota.

He is going to have to take his exams before he leaves, so he is getting letters from his teachers to show that he has permission to do that. Those letters are going to the dean and the dean will sign a letter for us saying that he has official time off for the trip approved by the school

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Can the brother who works for Toyota provide a Letter of Financial Support + some funds?

Do include tuition receipts + transcripts/mark sheets + student ID proof, etc in addition to the letter from the dean/teachers

joeythecat

Jun 16, 2016
Can the brother who works for Toyota provide a Letter of Financial Support + some funds?

Do include tuition receipts + transcripts/mark sheets + student ID proof, etc in addition to the letter from the dean/teachers
He might be able to. if I get that I can just put that in the proof of financial support? Do I need his brother to sign a letter stating that he is supporting him as well?

I am including the letter from the dean, his transcripts, student ID, receipts. What section should I include this in? the letter of explanation?

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
He might be able to. if I get that I can just put that in the proof of financial support? Do I need his brother to sign a letter stating that he is supporting him as well?
You'll need to include this letter of financial support signed by the brother + 4-6 months' bank statements of the brother

I am including the letter from the dean, his transcripts, student ID, receipts. What section should I include this in? the letter of explanation?
Yes. You must combine all documents + explanations into a single PDF file.

Just a thought:
Maybe the brother who works for Toyota should be invited instead of this brother who is studying. Or her mom

joeythecat

Jun 16, 2016
You'll need to include this letter of financial support signed by the brother + 4-6 months' bank statements of the brother

Yes. You must combine all documents + explanations into a single PDF file.

Just a thought:
Maybe the brother who works for Toyota should be invited instead of this brother who is studying. Or her mom

Hi brother started working there about 3 months ago and cant get the time off work to come. I know this whole thing seems like a waste of time but I have to give it a try. Do you thin there is any chance of getting this or is it just pointless?

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Quite honestly, I think the student brother's inability to prove he can afford the visit may prove to be the Achille's heel. He already has a previous TRV refusal. It's not uncommon for a young student to be refused. BTW is he a minor?

I'm guessing her mom may have a better chance. She has dependent family (two young, unmarried sons) + a store + if she owns land/property and/or rents the store, etc to return to. And, her mom wanting to attend her wedding would fit in perfectly as compared to her younger brother

joeythecat

Jun 16, 2016
Quite honestly, I think the student brother's inability to prove he can afford the visit may prove to be the Achille's heel. He already has a previous TRV refusal. It's not uncommon for a young student to be refused. BTW is he a minor?

I'm guessing her mom may have a better chance. She has dependent family (two young, unmarried sons) + a store + if she owns land/property and/or rents the store, etc to return to. And, her mom wanting to attend her wedding would fit in perfectly as compared to her younger brother
He has not been refused before, this is his first time trying. He is 22 years old.

Her mom has problems with her birth certificate and doesn't have a passport, plus she speaks zero English and my fiancée doesn't want her travelling by herself.

This whole situation makes me sick because I know we just want him here to share in our day, but I know that 99.9% chance he will be refused and breaking that news to her is going to kill me and devastate her.

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
He has not been refused before, this is his first time trying. He is 22 years old.
Oops. My bad. Then he has an opportunity to put together a good application.

This whole situation makes me sick because I know we just want him here to share in our day, but I know that 99.9% chance he will be refused and breaking that news to her is going to kill me and devastate her.
Yes, it's rather stressful especially when the odds are against him. But don't give up. Think positive. He might just get lucky :)

From what we've seen the Manila visa office tends to be a bit more sympathetic as compared to other visa offices.

I also suggest that your invitation letter has some emotional statements (just a bit) about why it's so important that her younger brother attends your wedding, and no one else. This may help.

Do give these points some thought and see if there's anything else you can add to his application:

It may help to take a break from thinking about this visa situation. And, after a day or two of switching off, you might just find a different way of going about this

joeythecat

Jun 16, 2016
Oops. My bad. Then he has an opportunity to put together a good application.

Yes, it's rather stressful especially when the odds are against him. But don't give up. Think positive. He might just get lucky :)

From what we've seen the Manila visa office tends to be a bit more sympathetic as compared to other visa offices.

I also suggest that your invitation letter has some emotional statements (just a bit) about why it's so important that her younger brother attends your wedding, and no one else. This may help.

Do give these points some thought and see if there's anything else you can add to his application:

It may help to take a break from thinking about this visa situation. And, after a day or two of switching off, you might just find a different way of going about this
thank you for the help, I really appreciate it

joeythecat

Jun 16, 2016
ok I just submitted his application. Time to hope that one of these officers have a heart and lets it happen. I don't want to break bad news to my fiancée, it will kill me and her