+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

VISA Expired but have valid Work permit. Can i re-enter canada after visiting US

akhil5293

Sep 8, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
Yes
Passport Req..
15-12-16
VISA ISSUED...
21-12-16
LANDED..........
30-12-16
I have a closed valid closed work permit, but I quit my job, can I still travel and come back ?

ImmiToCanada

Mar 2, 2014
Vancouver
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
11-03-2016
Hi Senior,

Did you return to Canada by airplane or by car? There are some posts saying that "re-entering with expired visa but valid study permit" only applies when you re-enter Canada from US BY CAR.

Thanks very much

Senior said:
Hi,

Yes, you can re-enter Canada from USA only without the visa provided that you have valid work permit. I have traveled to USA several times (on my study permit) without visa, and I never had any problems in returning back to Canada.

Please note that this exception is only for USA, if you are going somewhere else you must have both valid visa and work permit or study permit.

Hope this helps.

missmaria

Jul 19, 2015
Yes. I can confirm that as I traveled by air. I had a valid study permit in Sept, but expired TRV. I traveled to U.S (and ONLY U.S) by Air Canada, and came back to Canada only having my valid study permit and passport and my previous passport that had the expired TRV. The Air Canada staff already knew the policy and there was absolutely no problem at all there. At the Canadian customs in Canada, the officer was new and she first questioned the fact that my TRV was expired but then I explained the policy to her and I also showed her the printed policy. Once she saw it, she apologized for not knowing it and she let me in. So the bottom line is that you do NOT need the TRV if you ONLY travel to U.S by air or by car. Just make sure your study/work permit is valid, you have your previous expired TRV, and also DO PRINT the policy.

Good luck.

ImmiToCanada said:
Hi Senior,

Did you return to Canada by airplane or by car? There are some posts saying that "re-entering with expired visa but valid study permit" only applies when you re-enter Canada from US BY CAR.

Thanks very much

missmaria

Jul 19, 2015
sidorovonline said:
Could you please provide a link to the policy?
It doesn't allow me to post link. Google the 'immigration and refugees protection regulations'. It is the policy R190(3)(f). Also called "DIVISION 5 Temporary Resident Visa Exemptions".

ibk

Star Member
Aug 1, 2015
Hello Guys

After applying ONIP, can I go back to my home country on vacation for three months?? As the immigration website says that I have to currently reside in Ontario?? I am a recently graduate student and have applied for work permit, Can I reenter into canada on my student visa which expires on July 2017 or Do I have to apply for Temporary resident visa??? :)

AngadTaneja

Dec 23, 2016
Hello guys,

My VISA has expired but Work Permit is still valid until June 14, 2017.

I recently applied for Bridging Open Work Permit on May 18, 2017.

I want to know if I should I apply for VISA right now or later? Also, if I should apply for it how should I proceed with the application?

All suggestions are welcomed and will be helpful.

Please advise one and all!

Many Thanks.

Sandycool

Apr 14, 2011
Category........
PNP
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
11-04-2017
AOR Received.
11-04-2017
Hello,

My current work permit is going to expire on 11th June, 2017 . I already applied for my BOWP and waiting for update.

I need to travel to US on 2nd June and will be back on 4th June.

Can I re-enter to canada..? Would they allow me to re-enter to canada..??

Please please help..Its urgent..

Sep 3, 2017
Hello,

My current work permit is going to expire on 11th June, 2017 . I already applied for my BOWP and waiting for update.

I need to travel to US on 2nd June and will be back on 4th June.

Can I re-enter to canada..? Would they allow me to re-enter to canada..??

Please please help..Its urgent..
2 ways
either
(1) A foreign national is exempt from the requirement to obtain a temporary resident visa if they

(a) are a citizen of Andorra, Australia, Austria, Bahamas, Barbados, Belgium, Brunei Darussalam, Chile, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Federal Republic of Germany, Finland, France, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Mexico, Monaco, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Papua New Guinea, Poland, Portugal, Republic of Korea, Samoa, San Marino, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, Solomon Islands, Spain, Sweden or Switzerland;

(b) are

(i) a British citizen,

(ii) a British overseas citizen who is re-admissible to the United Kingdom, or

(iii) a citizen of a British overseas territory who derives that citizenship through birth, descent, naturalization or registration in one of the British overseas territories of Anguilla, Bermuda, British Virgin Islands, Cayman Islands, Falkland Islands, Gibraltar, Montserrat, Pitcairn Island, Saint Helena or Turks and Caicos Islands; or

(c) are a national of the United States or a person who has been lawfully admitted to the United States for permanent residence.

Or

(f) to re-enter Canada following a visit solely to the United States or St. Pierre and Miquelon, if they

• (i) held a study permit or a work permit that was issued before they left Canada on such a visit or were authorized to enter and remain in Canada as a temporary resident, and
  • (ii) return to Canada by the end of the period initially authorized for their stay or any extension to it;
According to the
Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations (SOR/2002-227)
Regulations are current to 2017-08-14 and last amended on 2017-06-27

As the regulation stated, you can re-enter as long as before your expiration. You may be allowed if you can prove your implied status.

jp2017

Star Member
Jun 15, 2017
So if you have an expired TRV but a valid work permit, will you be applying for a new TRV or restoration of TRV status as a visitor?

t_Addy.

Star Member
Nov 22, 2016
Can y
2 ways
either
(1) A foreign national is exempt from the requirement to obtain a temporary resident visa if they

(a) are a citizen of Andorra, Australia, Austria, Bahamas, Barbados, Belgium, Brunei Darussalam, Chile, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Federal Republic of Germany, Finland, France, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Mexico, Monaco, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Papua New Guinea, Poland, Portugal, Republic of Korea, Samoa, San Marino, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, Solomon Islands, Spain, Sweden or Switzerland;

(b) are

(i) a British citizen,

(ii) a British overseas citizen who is re-admissible to the United Kingdom, or

(iii) a citizen of a British overseas territory who derives that citizenship through birth, descent, naturalization or registration in one of the British overseas territories of Anguilla, Bermuda, British Virgin Islands, Cayman Islands, Falkland Islands, Gibraltar, Montserrat, Pitcairn Island, Saint Helena or Turks and Caicos Islands; or

(c) are a national of the United States or a person who has been lawfully admitted to the United States for permanent residence.

Or

(f) to re-enter Canada following a visit solely to the United States or St. Pierre and Miquelon, if they

• (i) held a study permit or a work permit that was issued before they left Canada on such a visit or were authorized to enter and remain in Canada as a temporary resident, and
  • (ii) return to Canada by the end of the period initially authorized for their stay or any extension to it;
According to the
Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations (SOR/2002-227)
Regulations are current to 2017-08-14 and last amended on 2017-06-27

As the regulation stated, you can re-enter as long as before your expiration. You may be allowed if you can prove your implied status.
Can you please send me the link to this? Thanks.

momo2017

Dec 1, 2017
hi all,
anyone had the same situation as in the question can confirm if we don't need a visa(expired) for reentering Canada after visit usa wih only valid work permit?

Thanks