+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

VISA Expired but have valid Work permit. Can i re-enter canada after visiting US

gvsbhaskar

Mar 20, 2012
Hi,
My candian VISA is expired but have valid work permit till the end of this year.
Can i re-enter canada after vising US (have valid US visiting VISA) ?

Thanks a lot,
Bhaskar

Torap

Star Member
Jan 20, 2012
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2012
Doc's Request.
No
AOR Received.
15-04-2012
IELTS Request
Sent along with application
Med's Request
08-05-2012
Med's Done....
16-05-2012
Passport Req..
28-06-2012
VISA ISSUED...
05-07-2012
LANDED..........
05-07-2012
gvsbhaskar said:
Hi,
My candian VISA is expired but have valid work permit till the end of this year.

Thanks a lot,
Bhaskar
Hi Bhaskar,

As long as you have a valid work permit, you can enter Canada only from USA. Please refer to the below link for further details.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/faq/visit/index.asp

quote in the above link.

"There are two exceptions: you can visit the United States or Saint-Pierre et Miquelon and return to Canada without getting a new visa, as long as you:

return within the initial period authorized by the immigration officer (or)
have a valid visitor record, work permit, study permit, or a temporary resident permit (authorizing re-entry) and return within the initial period authorized by the officer."

Hope this helps.

Del12

Jan 3, 2012
Hi,

From my experience, whenever I re-entered to Canada from US, they checked both the work permit and also re-entry visa. It might be possible to re-enter from US without a visa, but you may be required to explain a lot to them. What I did was, I sent a letter asking for visa till the end of my work permit when I reapplied and I got it till the expiry of my work permit.

Hope this helps!

Senior

Star Member
Jan 25, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 10, 2012
AOR Received.
Aug 30, 2012
Hi,

Yes, you can re-enter Canada from USA only without the visa provided that you have valid work permit. I have traveled to USA several times (on my study permit) without visa, and I never had any problems in returning back to Canada.

Please note that this exception is only for USA, if you are going somewhere else you must have both valid visa and work permit or study permit.

Hope this helps.

C

CEC_2174

Big NO,

You can not enter Canada with an expired Visa.
Visa defines if you can enter/stay in Canada.
Work Permit is the authorization for you to work in Canada, Apply in Buffalo you will get it in 3 weeks Max

Hope it helps

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

CEC_2174 said:
Big NO,

You can not enter Canada with an expired Visa.
Visa defines if you can enter/stay in Canada.
Work Permit is the authorization for you to work in Canada, Apply in Buffalo you will get it in 3 weeks Max

Hope it helps

You are not helping the OP's situation, as your information is wrong. As previous posters have stated, as long s/he travels on to the US or St. Pierre et Miquelon and returns within the validity of his/her work permit s/he is fine.

Canadavisa07

Oct 15, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-06-2012
AOR Received.
23-10-2012
IELTS Request
Sent with the application
Med's Request
22-05-2013
Med's Done....
27-05-2013
Passport Req..
30-07-2013
Yes you can.. only by road at the border but not thru Airport where you would need a valid visa to enter Canada.

If you have a valid work permit, you can enter Canada from US any number of times... I have done this several times.

C

CEC_2174

gvsbhaskar said:
Hi,

Thanks a lot,
Bhaskar
Hay Bhaskar,
If so many forum members support the view, you are good. definitely you can not do this when you travel by Air.

So next time mention clearly road,rail,Air or Walk ;D
Good luck

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Canadavisa07 said:
Yes you can.. only by road at the border but not thru Airport where you would need a valid visa to enter Canada.

If you have a valid work permit, you can enter Canada from US any number of times... I have done this several times.
The OP can enter by air as well. The rule applies to all entries.

masterpeace

Mar 23, 2012
Ok, this conversation confuses me. Where does it say that you will need a valid Visa to enter Canada directly from US, if travelling by Air? Reading from the
I'm quite worried since I'm planning to fly to Miami from Vancouver in 2 weeks, but my visa has expired (I do have a valid work permit though).

Do I need a visa?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

masterpeace said:
Ok, this conversation confuses me. Where does it say that you will need a valid Visa to enter Canada directly from US, if travelling by Air? Reading from the
I'm quite worried since I'm planning to fly to Miami from Vancouver in 2 weeks, but my visa has expired (I do have a valid work permit though).

Do I need a visa?
No. Here are the Regulations'

Visa exemption — nationality

190. (1) A foreign national is exempt from the requirement to obtain a temporary resident visa if they

(f) to re-enter Canada following a visit solely to the United States or St. Pierre and Miquelon, if they
(i) held a study permit or a work permit that was issued before they left Canada on such a visit or were authorized to enter and remain in Canada as a temporary resident, and
(ii) return to Canada by the end of the period initially authorized for their stay or any extension to it;

pmpm

Jul 9, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-03-2013
AOR Received.
18-04-2013
IELTS Request
Sent with application
Med's Request
10-10-2013
Med's Done....
15-10-2013; 25-11-2013 medicals received
Passport Req..
16-12-2013
LANDED..........
22-07-2014
Hi

I want to travel to US (my friend will be driving us), but my Canada TRV is expired. After following the discussion, I understand that I can re-enter Canada with my valid work-permit. I do want to ask if getting a US B2 visa will be difficult (applying from Canada) if my Canada TRV is expired, or it doesn't affect getting a US visa at all??

Thanks

green_dc

Dec 18, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-01-2013
AOR Received.
06-03-2013
Hi Masterpiece,

Were you able to visit USA and re-enter to Canada without valid TRV?

I am in a same situation now. I have a valid work permit but TRV has expired. I need to go to USA. No time left to get new TRV.

Let me know if you were able to.

raj2010

Jul 12, 2012
I have same situation last year when my VISA is expired but WP is valid. Best option is get your Passport stamp with CANAD visa it will take 2-3 weeks. Send passport to buffalo office with your valid WP they will stamp it. But don't go personally otherwise you wont be allow to enter in CANADA.

marycanada

Jul 20, 2012
Hi Bhaskar and Raj,

So did you guys travel by air without a Valid TRV??? I am in this situation now and I do not have time to apply for TRV...Can you please comment asap???

Thanks,
Mary.