+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Vehicle tax claim as an employee

Craveman

Nov 17, 2013
Hey guys

I recently received my PR and can now finally work which I am very excited about! Vancouver is an expensive city and having to live off one salary is not easy. I'm an electrician and started working for a general contractor as an employee. My employer deducts all the necessary taxes due each month. Recently though, I have heard that I would be able to claim back vehicle expenses due to working between various jobs and call-outs. Do any of you of you know the correct procedure and paperwork/forms to be able to claim back vehicle tax at the end of the year? Are the vehicle expenses the only taxes I'm allowed to claim back as an employee?

From what I've seen online, I would need a T2200 signed from my employer and then keep a log book which states both personal and business use. The issue however is that the vehicle I'm using is my father-in-law's as he had a hip replacement and can't use it himself. Would I still be able to claim fuel, oil, vehicle tax, etc. with the vehicle being on his name or does it have to be in mine? Is there a letter he could sign stating that he knows I'm using his vehicle for business and personal?

Many thanks