Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 29 2016
AOR Received.
Jan 30 2016
Passport Req..
Sept 16 2016
My partner and I (he's American, I'm Canadian) have been dating long distance for about 5 years, going back and forth across the border. He has never stayed here more than a couple of weeks until earlier this year. He has been staying with me for 4 months now. We are hoping to get married sometime next year to close the distance (we'll try to get him a visitor extension so we can have some breathing room to plan and figure out logistics).

My question is: has anyone ever had the validity of their marriage questioned due to having only a small private ceremony? I read this article (http://www.metronews.ca/news/canada/2015/05/19/immigration-guide-for-detecting-marriage-fraud-called-racist-and-offensive.html) which is a little dated, but it says immigration officials have very traditional and very expensive standards for what a wedding is. We're wondering if it would be very damaging to just have a small private ceremony with an officiant/ pastor and a little dinner after, as opposed to a full ceremony with a reception and more than 15 guests.

We don't have a lot of money to have a wedding, but we have years worth of photos, conversations, plane tickets, and evidence that we have been in a real relationship for this long.

Has anyone had this problem? Thanks!

haXudon

May 31, 2015
as long as both of your parents are there during your wedding, you'll be fine. if not, then you have to explain why not. or make your parents write letters to you.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Small weddings are fine. Specially you are a Canadian-American couple.

My parents were at our small wedding but his couldn't make it. The ceremony was held in Canada and they (my in-laws) couldn't arrange time to visit. We went back to our home town for a casual dinner/banquet with his side of the relatives few months after. Ours went pretty smooth.

Oulrish

Apr 24, 2017
Winnipeg
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Pretoria
App. Filed.......
04-04-2017
Doc's Request.
14-05-2017
AOR Received.
Applicant - 12-05-2017, Sponsor - 13-05-2017. AOR2 - 30-06-2017
File Transfer...
12-06-2017
Med's Request
30-08-2017
Med's Done....
04-09-2017
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
18-09-2017
VISA ISSUED...
03-10-2017
LANDED..........
13-10-2017
My partner and I (he's American, I'm Canadian) have been dating long distance for about 5 years, going back and forth across the border. He has never stayed here more than a couple of weeks until earlier this year. He has been staying with me for 4 months now. We are hoping to get married sometime next year to close the distance (we'll try to get him a visitor extension so we can have some breathing room to plan and figure out logistics).

My question is: has anyone ever had the validity of their marriage questioned due to having only a small private ceremony? I read this article (http://www.metronews.ca/news/canada/2015/05/19/immigration-guide-for-detecting-marriage-fraud-called-racist-and-offensive.html) which is a little dated, but it says immigration officials have very traditional and very expensive standards for what a wedding is. We're wondering if it would be very damaging to just have a small private ceremony with an officiant/ pastor and a little dinner after, as opposed to a full ceremony with a reception and more than 15 guests.

We don't have a lot of money to have a wedding, but we have years worth of photos, conversations, plane tickets, and evidence that we have been in a real relationship for this long.

Hi there,

A small wedding is fine, as long as it is genuine you won't have any trouble. I met my wife last year around June and we got married last January. We had a small wedding, with the marriage officer, a priest for the religious wedding and only family members were invited with both our parents in attendance. There was dinner served after the ceremony and we went on honeymoon.There were at most 80 people in total. We provided the maximum amount of proof with our conversations, photos and all. Additional ongoing conversation was requested just two weeks ago. We provided that as well and lo and behold between then and today my wife received her PPR email today.

spousalsponsee

Apr 21, 2017
A small wedding is fine, ....There were at most 80 people in total.
I'm pleased you got through, and don't want to get at you, but that comment is a perfect example of cultural norms :) In many western countries, 80 would be considered enormous. A "small" wedding would be, at most, one quarter the size of yours :) Some people do it with as few as 5 (the couple, officiant, and two witnesses). And the first poster talked about 15. And that's the sort of thing IRCC have to deal with - some applicants will be showing proof that they had a wedding many times larger than the case officers themselves, and still have question marks about whether it was 'small' or not, because it's culture-dependent :)

Reactions: jptskt and KBH

Oulrish

Apr 24, 2017
Winnipeg
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Pretoria
App. Filed.......
04-04-2017
Doc's Request.
14-05-2017
AOR Received.
Applicant - 12-05-2017, Sponsor - 13-05-2017. AOR2 - 30-06-2017
File Transfer...
12-06-2017
Med's Request
30-08-2017
Med's Done....
04-09-2017
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
18-09-2017
VISA ISSUED...
03-10-2017
LANDED..........
13-10-2017
I'm pleased you got through, and don't want to get at you, but that comment is a perfect example of cultural norms :) In many western countries, 80 would be considered enormous. A "small" wedding would be, at most, one quarter the size of yours :) Some people do it with as few as 5 (the couple, officiant, and two witnesses). And the first poster talked about 15. And that's the sort of thing IRCC have to deal with - some applicants will be showing proof that they had a wedding many times larger than the case officers themselves, and still have question marks about whether it was 'small' or not, because it's culture-dependent :)
I do understand where you're coming from but actually there was only relatives which ended up being that many. I was just trying to offer the support given the fact that we just met and still we had a lot of proof that convinced the officer it was genuine. As far as cultural norms go, our wedding would have gone for 4 days and there would have been at least 300 and up. I do appreciate your comment though.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12

As a Canadian-American couple with a 5 year relationship history, you would have no problems getting married in a courthouse with 2 strangers for witnesses.

The "very traditional and very expensive standards" you refer to are really for applicants from cultures where a such a wedding is the cultural norm, i.e. India.

Reactions: YVR123

bafonso

Jan 21, 2017
Visa Office......
Mississauga
No one attended our wedding and we stated we did it for health insurance purposes while in us (child on the way). They never questioned it, but we have been together for over 4 years...

I have other friends with recent weddings and they had to send a lot of proof, which seems reasonable. One did not even had any parents at ceremony.

CanadianZenGirl

Jan 24, 2017
Sault Ste. Marie, ON
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
29-12-2016
AOR Received.
17-01-2017
File Transfer...
10-03-2017
Med's Request
Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
13-06-2017
VISA ISSUED...
21-06-2017
LANDED..........
23-06-2017
My American husband and I got married on the lawn of the courthouse in Toledo, Ohio with just his family in attendance. Afterward, his parents threw us a wedding party so that I could meet some of my husband's friends. Now that he lives here in Canada, we are planning a vow renewal for my family. This will be small as well because my family isn't very big. Immigration was fine with it.

dominicantiguan

Apr 24, 2017
Etobicoke
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
27-04-2016
Doc's Request.
06-06-2017
AOR Received.
31-05-2016
Med's Request
03-06-2017
Med's Done....
05-06-2017 Passed
Interview........
Waived

Based off of the info you've given, you shouldn't have any problems at all once it's genuine. Regardless of whether your parents attend or not. You'll have to explain it but still I doubt you'll have any issues. Good luck!

methyl

Feb 1, 2016
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mexico City
App. Filed.......
29-07-2016, Received 02-08-2016. Out of status app.
Doc's Request.
PGR 30-11-2016
Nomination.....
SA Approved 31-08-2016
AOR Received.
AOR1 23-08-2016. AOR2 30-11-2016
File Transfer...
31-08-2016
Med's Done....
28-06-2016
Passport Req..
17-05-2017
VISA ISSUED...
06-06-2017
LANDED..........
31-07-2017
I know a couple that got their marriage registered in a city hall, with literally just 2 friends attending as witnesses. Sponsorship was not an issue for this couple..
Not everyone is a fan of big expenses and parties, and some don't want anything to do with priests of any religion and most CIC officers make allowances for that if there's sufficient additional evidence.

Shineon39

Dec 3, 2015
Yellowknife, Northwest territories
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Singapore
App. Filed.......
22-10-2015
Nomination.....
Csq received 26-01-2016
AOR Received.
11-12-2015 AOR2: 07-01-2016
File Transfer...
17-12-2015
Med's Done....
10-09-2015
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
07-06-2016
VISA ISSUED...
20-06-2016
LANDED..........
02-09-2016
For me I got married in Thailand after 8 months of dating, we did the traditional wedding. Only family on her side were present and we explain that my family could not do it to Thailand. No issue at all with the pr apllication, no interview and Singapore is one of the thoughest visa office. So you everything will be ok for you ;)

fullofturtles

Dec 11, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 29 2016
AOR Received.
Jan 30 2016
Passport Req..
Sept 16 2016
Oh wow! Thanks everyone. I really appreciate it. I am overwhelmed with the amount of good news I got from this thread. I was terrified we were going to have to put on a circus to entertain immigration. Hopefully, the evidence supporting 4+ years of being in a genuine relationship and a little dinner with close friends will be enough.

Thanks everyone!

Cheema4012

Star Member
Nov 8, 2013
Canada
Oh wow! Thanks everyone. I really appreciate it. I am overwhelmed with the amount of good news I got from this thread. I was terrified we were going to have to put on a circus to entertain immigration. Hopefully, the evidence supporting 4+ years of being in a genuine relationship and a little dinner with close friends will be enough.

Thanks everyone!
Check your inbox brother

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013

Thanks everyone!
Yup, you should be fine. I recall one US/CDN couple got married in the living room of a friend's house with a friend performing the ceremony and with a few friends as witness. They were dressed casually (jeans, etc) and took about 4 photos which they sent in with their application. It was fine. A very small wedding by itself is not a red flag if the rest of the evidence is good.