+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Valid Visa on Expired Passport -What to Do ???

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
cheesycake said:
Dear Friends,

We do have new passports, but we have lost old cancled passport two years back(We did not register complain with police at that time about lost documents).

So, my worry is that CHC New Delhi ask for both old and new passport at the time of Visa stamping. How can I present my case to Visa Officer at the time of stamping?
If the old pps weren't mentioned anytime during your PR processing - u don't need to submit them to your VO, for the PRV stamping. I had 3 old pp booklets... But, submitted only the latest one.

Qorax

cheesycake

Star Member
Jul 31, 2010
Dear Captain Qorax,

Thanks for reply, I got relieved as I can submit only new passport.

qorax said:
If the old pps weren't mentioned anytime during your PR processing - u don't need to submit them to your VO, for the PRV stamping. I had 3 old pp booklets... But, submitted only the latest one.

Qorax

fariza

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2010
Australia
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
qorax said:
As I understand - children (any age they r) require their own passports for PR visa stamping.

There was a separate thread on it sometime back...
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/children-on-their-mothers-passport-t51583.0.html
U may post your query on it, for more authentic response/s.

Qorax
Thnx Captain
I think I have got your message and hints

Royal.Prince

Mar 31, 2010
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-03-2010
Doc's Request.
28-09-2010
Nomination.....
19-10-2010
AOR Received.
01-11-2011
IELTS Request
Done already
File Transfer...
00-00-0000
Med's Request
01-11-2011
Med's Done....
01-24-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
01-11-2011, Submitted at 01-24-2011
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
LANDED..........
Waiting
Guys,

in PR and Medical in letter that we recieved, its says passport must be valid until April 2012.

My wife's passport is expiring in January 2012.

My concerns is ,

Should we Inform to Embassy regarding new/renewal passport OR it would be okay to submit old (valid through 01-2012) Along new/renewed Passport?

Sometime, Immigration won't renew passport as its still valid for 1 year, we will try our best, just in case if they refused to renew, what would be solution?

Please comment.

Thanks

downinglee

Star Member
Jan 24, 2011
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
qorax said:
Valid PRV on an Expired Passport ? -No Problem

13.15. Valid visas in expired passports
If an expired passport contains a valid visa counterfoil, the counterfoil can still be used since the expiration of the passport has no effect on the visa's validity. Holders of a valid visa may continue to use their visa until the date it expires even if the visa is in an expired passport. Visitors can fulfil the visa and passport requirements by presenting both the renewed and expired passports containing the valid visa counterfoil to a BSO when seeking entry into Canada. The Regulations state that visas should not be issued longer than the validity of the passport. However, due to pre- IRPA cases, it is possible to encounter visas in expired passports.

It is not possible to "transfer" a valid visa into a new passport. If the holder of a valid visa wishes to have a visa placed in their new passport or if the passport is deemed ‘not valid' for political or security concerns, visitors must apply for a replacement visa by submitting a new application and paying the replacement document fee in accordance with R311(2).

If the applicant wishes to obtain a visa valid for a longer period in the new document, this will constitute a new temporary resident visa application and any applicable fees resulting from this new application will be collected. The previous visa will subsequently be cancelled.

Ref: This is the quote from Sec-13.15 of the "Port of Entry Examinations Manual" -ENF 4; dt. 2010-02-23, Page 53
Qorax
hi sir, i am an international studet, after reading ur post, i think u may give me a big help for my problem. here is the thing, a couple week ago, i thought i lost my passport in the mail, so i went the consulate of my country in toronto and applied a new passport(which is in the process now). who knew that I got my old passport recently, and i wanna go back to my country soon, however my country has already cancel my old passport but visa and study permit are still valid if i have to re-issue my visa and study for my new passport, i cant go back this summer(sosososo sad), so the thing is, can i take 2 passports(old one with my visa and study permit and the new one without anything) to the POE of Canada?

one more thing is, if i do need to re-issue my study permit and visa, how long i gotta take for them?

thanks a lot

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
downinglee said:
hi sir, i am an international studet, after reading ur post, i think u may give me a big help for my problem. here is the thing, a couple week ago, i thought i lost my passport in the mail, so i went the consulate of my country in toronto and applied a new passport(which is in the process now). who knew that I got my old passport recently, and i wanna go back to my country soon, however my country has already cancel my old passport but visa and study permit are still valid if i have to re-issue my visa and study for my new passport, i cant go back this summer(sosososo sad), so the thing is, can i take 2 passports(old one with my visa and study permit and the new one without anything) to the POE of Canada?

one more thing is, if i do need to re-issue my study permit and visa, how long i gotta take for them?

thanks a lot
Nothing to change -- nothing to apply -- nothing to report, anywhere...
Just staple 'both' pps together -- and u r good to go.

Qorax

downinglee

Star Member
Jan 24, 2011
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
qorax said:
Nothing to change -- nothing to apply -- nothing to report, anywhere...
Just staple 'both' pps together -- and u r good to go.

Qorax
sir, one more thing i need to ask u,

how long it gotta take to re-issue a study permit for my new passport?
actually i have a study permit, which is for my old passport and still valid

my country does not allow me attend with an cancelled passport!!!

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
downinglee said:
sir, one more thing i need to ask u,

how long it gotta take to re-issue a study permit for my new passport?
actually i have a study permit, which is for my old passport and still valid

my country does not allow me attend with an cancelled passport!!!
A fresh one could take months... r u sure u need to do that?
Qorax

Shinygirl

Star Member
Nov 3, 2010
Qorax..... please help me with this query.
My husband is the primary applicant, and we need to land in april, he has immigrant visa on his old passport, and since his passport was about to expire after few months, he got his new passport, so in that regard his old passport stands cancelled but visa is valid on that passport.
On his landing papers his old passport number is mentioned.

Do you think we can have any problem in that regard? We plan to take both passports alongwith us while landing.
Please reply, I am really tensed about it.

Thanks

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
Shinygirl said:
Qorax..... please help me with this query.
My husband is the primary applicant, and we need to land in april, he has immigrant visa on his old passport, and since his passport was about to expire after few months, he got his new passport, so in that regard his old passport stands cancelled but visa is valid on that passport.
On his landing papers his old passport number is mentioned.

Do you think we can have any problem in that regard? We plan to take both passports alongwith us while landing.
Please reply, I am really tensed about it.

Thanks
As quoted in the OP I don't think it'd be a problem.

mahmed

Sep 1, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-06-2010
Doc's Request.
01-06-2010
AOR Received.
01-12-2010
IELTS Request
Done
Hello friends, I need your valuable suggestion. I am a pre-June applicant. My application is under review now by the Visa Office.
My passport will expire 7 months later. It is known that no embassy will issue a visa if any passport is valid less than 6 months. I might need to travel to different countries soon. So I need to issue a new passport. In this situation, should I go for changing my passport and let the visa office know about the change or what should I do? Please suggest.
Thank you.

monaliza

Apr 14, 2011
Dear Mr Qorax,
Thank you for your great post. Our status is RBVO and we are awaiting medical. My concern is that my husband passport is to expire these days but he got two years extension on the same passport booklet on page 7.
Now the VO doesn't know that he already got extension. Now since the copy of the first two pages of the passport which was submitted along with the application to CIC "and subsequently VO" has indicated that its not valid anymore, do you think that the VO would ask for a new passport? And how should we response? Shall he wait or take any action to avoid delay?
Thank you sir

leduber

Dec 8, 2011
Dear qorax,

That you mentioned is valid for temporary residence visa not for Permanent residence visa.

Regards.