17-03-2017
AOR Received.
26-04-2017
Med's Done....
26-09-2016
Passport Req..
27-10-2017
Isn't a PCC only valid for 6 months?
From what I've been told by the IRCC call center agents it's valid for 1 year for their purposes.

elenama

Star Member
Nov 8, 2016
Toronto
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
22-04-2017
AOR Received.
26-04-2017
Posted this question in my April application thread but figured that people here might know more about NAFTA work visas so it goes:

We’ve applied outland since the process was supposed to be faster but it’s been 4 months and our file isn’t even in process yet. We’ve already made up moving plans for November and my husband intends to follow through and move here in November regardless of the state of the application.

We got 2 options at this point: he stays here as a visitor and finds a remote job in US that he can do while we are waiting for PR or – and this is where the question is coming from – his current employer in the States offers him a transfer to a Toronto Office.

The question is – can we apply for a work permit (not OWP that comes with an inland application but a NAFTA work visa with an existing Canadian job offer) while we have a PR application in process?

kcward7

VIP Member
May 4, 2017
Posted this question in my April application thread but figured that people here might know more about NAFTA work visas so it goes:

We’ve applied outland since the process was supposed to be faster but it’s been 4 months and our file isn’t even in process yet. We’ve already made up moving plans for November and my husband intends to follow through and move here in November regardless of the state of the application.

We got 2 options at this point: he stays here as a visitor and finds a remote job in US that he can do while we are waiting for PR or – and this is where the question is coming from – his current employer in the States offers him a transfer to a Toronto Office.

The question is – can we apply for a work permit (not OWP that comes with an inland application but a NAFTA work visa with an existing Canadian job offer) while we have a PR application in process?
If he needs a Canadian contract and offer I wonder if the difficulty would lie there as I would imagine/assume they won't draft a contract for someone who does not have legal status to work in Canada?

kcward7

VIP Member
May 4, 2017

Hm, on second thought I suppose there would be a way to work something into a contract - like a condition - but it's an interesting question in any case - sorry I chimed in uselessly lol

elenama

Star Member
Nov 8, 2016
Toronto
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
22-04-2017
AOR Received.
26-04-2017
Hm, on second thought I suppose there would be a way to work something into a contract - like a condition - but it's an interesting question in any case - sorry I chimed in uselessly lol
Oh I think I explained it wrong - he already has an offer. He works for an IT company in the States that has offices here in Canada. So their Canadian branch wrote up an offer for him, and with this offer he qualifies for a NAFTA work visa.
I was just wondering if there is anything prohibiting him from applying for a work permit while he has a family-class PR application in process.

kcward7

VIP Member
May 4, 2017
Oh I think I explained it wrong - he already has an offer. He works for an IT company in the States that has offices here in Canada. So their Canadian branch wrote up an offer for him, and with this offer he qualifies for a NAFTA work visa.
I was just wondering if there is anything prohibiting him from applying for a work permit while he has a family-class PR application in process.
Got it! You might be better posting a new thread for senior members, this might be a trickier/more advanced question I'd think

elenama

Star Member
Nov 8, 2016
Toronto
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
22-04-2017
AOR Received.
26-04-2017
Got it! You might be better posting a new thread for senior members, this might be a trickier/more advanced question I'd think
I'll wait a bit, and then maybe start a new thread. Don't want to clutter the forum.

Socloseyetsofar

Star Member
Mar 24, 2017
Category........
I received an email stating that y application will be processed at CPC Mississauga... does this mean that it will not be getting transferred to Ottawa? Was told on my monthly forum that due to backlog in Ottawa Mississauga is helping out now

Masonb6888

Jan 9, 2016
BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
Feb .06. 2017
Doc's Request.
Oct 10, 13. (Updated PCC, and StatDeca Common-law)
AOR Received.
Feb .23. 2017
File Transfer...
OB570 Stream (stayed in Mississauga)/ Oct 30. 2017 (BGC in progress)
Med's Request
Passed: Mar.3.2017
Med's Done....
Oct. 28. 2016
Passport Req..
Nov. 01. 2017
VISA ISSUED...
Nov. 22. 2017
LANDED..........
Nov. 24. 2017
I received an email stating that y application will be processed at CPC Mississauga... does this mean that it will not be getting transferred to Ottawa? Was told on my monthly forum that due to backlog in Ottawa Mississauga is helping out now
Yes. That means no transfer.

Reactions: Socloseyetsofar

canadiantica15

Sep 14, 2016
Visa Office......
Mississauga/Ottawa
App. Filed.......
04-04-2017
AOR Received.
01-05-2017
File Transfer...
24-05-2017
Med's Request
06-06-2017
Med's Done....
28-06-2017
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
24-10-2017
VISA ISSUED...
08-11-2017
LANDED..........
15-12-2017
Almost been a week since decision made on ECAS. I'm wondering how much longer until PPR :eek:

jeff198901

Champion Member
May 7, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-03-2017
AOR Received.
18-04-2017
Any other march applicants waiting for background check to start?

CanadianZenGirl

Jan 24, 2017
Sault Ste. Marie, ON
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
29-12-2016
AOR Received.
17-01-2017
File Transfer...
10-03-2017
Med's Request
Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
13-06-2017
VISA ISSUED...
21-06-2017
LANDED..........
23-06-2017
Almost been a week since decision made on ECAS. I'm wondering how much longer until PPR :eek:
It was ten days for us. Seems to fall into the 5 day - 2 weeks range for most folks.

Reactions: canadiantica15

VMDATTA

Star Member
Feb 12, 2017
Visa Office......
Ottawa or Mississauga
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
22-02-2017
AOR Received.
08-03-2017
File Transfer...
19-04-2017
Med's Request
24/05/2017
Med's Done....
25/05/2017
Interview........
none

This is exactly what my husband did. He had a Canadian job offer and because the PR process was taking longer than anticipated, he went the NAFTA route and his work visa was issued the same day. We lived in Buffalo so being near the border really helped. We had a lawyer who is dual certified (Ontario and NY) who did all the paperwork and guided us. Oddly enough, since we got the NAFTA work visa, our PR application seems to be moving at a exponential rate. It's probably a coincidence but before the NAFTA, background check hadn't even started. Since NAFTA (barely 3 weeks ago), background check done and decision made.

Reactions: elenama

elenama

Star Member
Nov 8, 2016
Toronto
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
22-04-2017
AOR Received.
26-04-2017
This is exactly what my husband did. He had a Canadian job offer and because the PR process was taking longer than anticipated, he went the NAFTA route and his work visa was issued the same day. We lived in Buffalo so being near the border really helped. We had a lawyer who is dual certified (Ontario and NY) who did all the paperwork and guided us. Oddly enough, since we got the NAFTA work visa, our PR application seems to be moving at a exponential rate. It's probably a coincidence but before the NAFTA, background check hadn't even started. Since NAFTA (barely 3 weeks ago), background check done and decision made.
Thanks very much and congratulations on your DM!
Seems like you are a bit over 6 months which is pretty good considering current timelines!

Did he apply for the NAFTA visa in advance, or just brought his paperwork to the border, and got a work permit from a border officer?