+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

US citizen married to Canadian, trying to get Medi-CAL

Renhet

Sep 2, 2012
Hey guys, I'm American and I married my Canadian husband in December of 2014 and I've been having issues related to obtaining health insurance--specifically, I live in California and after calling about five different numbers, I was told I could not apply for Medi-CAL. I didn't fully understand the explanation I was given as to why, but if I rememebr correctly, the person on the phone said I should have to apply for insurance through my husband or in Canada??? What can I do about this? Is this correct? I'm unemployed and health insurance is pretty important since I have prescriptions, need new glasses and probably dental work too.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

on-hold

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2010
You could only get Canadian health insurance if you were a resident of Canada (or rather, a resident of a particular province); this could only happen if you immigrated up here, it can't be remote. I don't see why being married to a Canadian would affect your ability to get insurance in California, but that's an issue you'll have to take up with the California insurance provider, no one here will know anything about it.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
If you live in California - Canada is not going to cover you from a health insurance perspective. You should post your question to a forum dealing with US health insurance related questions. This isn't the place to get answers.

ZingyDNA

Champion Member
Aug 12, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-06-2013
AOR Received.
28-08-2013
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
Med's Request
21-02-2014 (principal applicant)
Med's Done....
07-03-2014 (both, upfront for spouse)
Passport Req..
10-04-2014
VISA ISSUED...
22-04-2014
LANDED..........
13-06-2014
LOL the agent you talked to was BS! Canada is NOT responsible for your health coverage in California. You have to get sponsored for Canadian PR and come to Canada!

Renhet said:
Hey guys, I'm American and I married my Canadian husband in December of 2014 and I've been having issues related to obtaining health insurance--specifically, I live in California and after calling about five different numbers, I was told I could not apply for Medi-CAL. I didn't fully understand the explanation I was given as to why, but if I rememebr correctly, the person on the phone said I should have to apply for insurance through my husband or in Canada??? What can I do about this? Is this correct? I'm unemployed and health insurance is pretty important since I have prescriptions, need new glasses and probably dental work too.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!