+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Urgent help required -pregnant

maddyd2000

Star Member
May 27, 2015
Rob_TO said:
This is your post from January: http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/help-waiting-period-for-ohip-t389674.0.html;msg5692900#msg5692900
I will be applying for my ohip later this month but i will haveto return to the country i am living in after 15 days and my delivery is in may.i haveto return because my son will be back in pakistan and gr is still not granted immigration

Did you apply for OHIP just last month?? If so that may complicate things in terms of going to a new province.

Again, for OHIP there are no exceptions for your situation. It's a full 3 months to the day after you return permanently, so if you arrive 2.5 months before your due date you should expect to pay 100% of the hospital costs for delivery yourself. If you want OHIP to pay for your delivery you need to return to Ontario immediately to make sure the 3 months waiting period is over before you give birth.
No i didnt apply for ohip yet as i couldnt travel at that time.i do understand now giving birth in ontario is not possible unless i am.ready to.pay everthing

maddyd2000

Star Member
May 27, 2015
Rob_TO said:
3 month wait period should only apply if they consider you moving from another province, since it's expected your previous province's health care should cover you for initial 3 months.

If moving from outside of Canada, then you should be covered from day 1.

http://www.health.alberta.ca/AHCIP/moving-to-Alberta.html
Thats what i have read and heard.i am moving to canada from pakistan and i will be residing in alberta directly and will stay there for atleast a year.i hope they give me coverage from day 1 and no waiting period otherwise i will be in trouble and since ive had a cesarian with my first i cannot afford a cesarian again if i need to go through it.i wont be able to.afford the cost.

maddyd2000

Star Member
May 27, 2015
Rob_TO said:
3 month wait period should only apply if they consider you moving from another province, since it's expected your previous province's health care should cover you for initial 3 months.

If moving from outside of Canada, then you should be covered from day 1.

Yes thats what i have heard and read.i will be covered from day 1 and since ive had cesarian before i cannot afford another cesarian without healty coverage.seems like alberta is my new home :)

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
maddyd2000 said:
Thats what i have read and heard.i am moving to canada from pakistan and i will be residing in alberta directly and will stay there for atleast a year.i hope they give me coverage from day 1 and no waiting period otherwise i will be in trouble and since ive had a cesarian with my first i cannot afford a cesarian again if i need to go through it.i wont be able to.afford the cost.
You should be covered from day 1.
Moving to Alberta from outside Canada / immigrants
If you are moving or returning to Alberta from outside Canada, you might be eligible for coverage on the date of your arrival when you register within 3 months of arrival and provide all the required documents.

If you've had a previous c-section, odds are that the doctor will recommend another one. Or if you try a natural birth, they will switch to c-section if any minor issues come up.

alee667

Star Member
Jul 1, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-07-2015
Doc's Request.
04-12-2015
Nomination.....
22-12-2015
AOR Received.
26-01-2016
Med's Done....
Passed 28-01-2016
Passport Req..
22-06-2016
VISA ISSUED...
22-07-2016
LANDED..........
13-01-2017
I have landed in Ontario as new immigrant on 13th Jan 2017 and then moved to Alberta on 22nd Jan 2017. Applied for health card a week later (27th Jan) and returned from Canada on 3 Feb 2017. So far, I haven't received my Alberta Health card at my address in alberta. I am currently outside Canada and planning to travel again by 1st week april 2017 for birth of baby.

How much time generally Alberta Health takes to send the health card at the address?
Am I eligible for the health coverage since the day I have landed in Alberta though I am currently out of Canada?
I have intentions to live in Alberta for six months but what if I move to any other province or outside Canada after birth of baby and living in alberta for less than six months?

Appreciate if anyone please advise in this scenario.

alee667

Star Member
Jul 1, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-07-2015
Doc's Request.
04-12-2015
Nomination.....
22-12-2015
AOR Received.
26-01-2016
Med's Done....
Passed 28-01-2016
Passport Req..
22-06-2016
VISA ISSUED...
22-07-2016
LANDED..........
13-01-2017
Buletruck said:
If you move from Alberta before 6 month residency, expect a bill from AHCIP for the costs of your delivery.
What is the definition of "Move"... what if I am not changing my address and just travelling to some other province or out of canada back and forth?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
alee667 said:
What is the definition of "Move"... what if I am not changing my address and just travelling to some other province or out of canada back and forth?
You must be physically present in Alberta for 6 months a year to qualify for coverage. Just having an address in Alberta doesn't cut it.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
alee667 said:
I have landed in Ontario as new immigrant on 13th Jan 2017 and then moved to Alberta on 22nd Jan 2017. Applied for health card a week later (27th Jan) and returned from Canada on 3 Feb 2017. So far, I haven't received my Alberta Health card at my address in alberta. I am currently outside Canada and planning to travel again by 1st week april 2017 for birth of baby.

How much time generally Alberta Health takes to send the health card at the address?
Am I eligible for the health coverage since the day I have landed in Alberta though I am currently out of Canada?
I have intentions to live in Alberta for six months but what if I move to any other province or outside Canada after birth of baby and living in alberta for less than six months?

Appreciate if anyone please advise in this scenario.
When you signed up for AB health, you signed up for the eligibility requirements found here: http://www.health.alberta.ca/AHCIP/registration-requirements.html

They are:

Eligible residents

An eligible resident of Alberta is a person who is:

* Legally entitled to be or to remain in Canada and makes his/her permanent home in Alberta;
* Committed to being physically present in Alberta for at least 183 days in a 12 month period;
* Not claiming residency or obtaining benefits under a claim of residency in another province, territory or country;
* Any other person deemed by the regulations to be a resident not including a tourist, transient or visitor to Alberta.
If you fail to spend at least 183 days in AB in the first 12 month period after you arrived, you have not met your eligibility requirements and could be classified as a person not resident in Alberta but rather a transient, a person who was only staying in AB for a short time.

AB health could in that case retroactively cancel your health care meaning it would be as if you never had it and they could back charge you for all the expenses they have covered for you.

If they were to suspect as well that you never actually planned to spend 183 days in AB based on your travel history and that you only kept an address in AB in order to gain coverage for your child birth, they could add charges of health care fraud as well. Fraud is a criminal offense. Therefore, I would suggest that you take this seriously and do make sure you spend at least 183 days in AB this year in order to avoid major complications in your life later on. Either that or forget AB and move to where you really want to live and figure out if you can get health care there to pay for it or otherwise pay out of pocket.

alee667

Star Member
Jul 1, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-07-2015
Doc's Request.
04-12-2015
Nomination.....
22-12-2015
AOR Received.
26-01-2016
Med's Done....
Passed 28-01-2016
Passport Req..
22-06-2016
VISA ISSUED...
22-07-2016
LANDED..........
13-01-2017
Leon said:
When you signed up for AB health, you signed up for the eligibility requirements found here: http://www.health.alberta.ca/AHCIP/registration-requirements.html

They are:

If you fail to spend at least 183 days in AB in the first 12 month period after you arrived, you have not met your eligibility requirements and could be classified as a person not resident in Alberta but rather a transient, a person who was only staying in AB for a short time.

AB health could in that case retroactively cancel your health care meaning it would be as if you never had it and they could back charge you for all the expenses they have covered for you.

If they were to suspect as well that you never actually planned to spend 183 days in AB based on your travel history and that you only kept an address in AB in order to gain coverage for your child birth, they could add charges of health care fraud as well. Fraud is a criminal offense. Therefore, I would suggest that you take this seriously and do make sure you spend at least 183 days in AB this year in order to avoid major complications in your life later on. Either that or forget AB and move to where you really want to live and figure out if you can get health care there to pay for it or otherwise pay out of pocket.
Thanks Leon for your reply. Ofcourse I will follow the obligations and that's what I am trying to figure it out.
The requirement of being physically present in Alberta is for mother only or for both parents? In my case, I am the principle applicant and is it mandatory for my wife or myself as well to be physically present in Alberta for 183 days?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
alee667 said:
Thanks Leon for your reply. Ofcourse I will follow the obligations and that's what I am trying to figure it out.
The requirement of being physically present in Alberta is for mother only or for both parents? In my case, I am the principle applicant and is it mandatory for my wife or myself as well to be physically present in Alberta for 183 days?
If you are insured by AB health as a family, I am not sure how they handle each of your absences as individuals. You should ask AB health about this.