+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Urgent help required -pregnant

maddyd2000

Star Member
May 27, 2015
Hello everyone
I am a canadian moving to canada with my husband and my son and i am already 6 months pregnant .
My husbands immigration visa was expected to come uptil now and now it has been delayed due to some reasons
The problem is ill be travelling in my 8th month to canada and its impossible for me to go before that i will not have ohip coverage due to the 3 month waiting period.i will have very less time ive had a cesarian with my first son and the cost of a cesarian without ohip is HUGE and i cannot afford it.i have no idea how it will all work out can anyone tell me what options do i have ? How will get a doctor to see me do they cater to emergencies the costs.. im totally clueless.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You and your husband will have to cover all of the expenses related to your pregnancy and birth out of your own pocket. There's no way of getting around that since you won't have OHIP coverage and it's far too late to purchase insurance. If you really cannot afford the costs, I would recommend you give birth in your home country.

If you still want to give birth in Canada, I would start contacting doctors in the area where you plan to live to see if they will take you as a patient. Otherwise once you are here, go to a walk-in clinic and request a referral.

Make sure you check the policies of the airline you will be using. You may have to travel by a certain date and may require the approval of a doctor to fly.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
In general there is no exception of the 3 month OHIP waiting period for pregnancy related issues. So as mentioned, all costs related to pregnancy, delivery and after care will be billed to you directly until exactly 3 months after you return to Canada.

For a C-section delivery and spending a few days in hospital, you should budget $10,000 as a bare minimum. This amount could easily increase depending if any complications arise or if an extended hospital stay is required.

As mentioned you also need to check with the airline. When trying to check in and visibly very pregnant, they will ask for proof of how far along you are, and if needed a doctors note. If you aren't prepared with this info, you will be denied boarding.
https://travel.gc.ca/travelling/health-safety/travelling-pregnant

maddyd2000

Star Member
May 27, 2015
scylla said:
You and your husband will have to cover all of the expenses related to your pregnancy and birth out of your own pocket. There's no way of getting around that since you won't have OHIP coverage and it's far too late to purchase insurance. If you really cannot afford the costs, I would recommend you give birth in your home country.

If you still want to give birth in Canada, I would start contacting doctors in the area where you plan to live to see if they will take you as a patient. Otherwise once you are here, go to a walk-in clinic and request a referral.

Make sure you check the policies of the airline you will be using. You may have to travel by a certain date and may require the approval of a doctor to fly.

My doctors are here in my home country have given me a chancd for a normal vaginal.delivery taking unto consideration my good health and prolonged gap between baby1 and 2.there is a chance i can have a normal delivery and i cam afford that upto 5000$ but itss not certain.
What would you advice.

maddyd2000

Star Member
May 27, 2015
Travelling is not a problem i will be travelling via emirates and they allow pregnant woman to travel upto 36 weeks which is fine and my doctor has already allowed me to travel in my last month i will have a proof of how far along i am plus a my doctors note that im.fit for travel.the problem is if i again end up with a csection i camt afford it and i really wamto give birth in canada . Although i will be able to pay upto 5000$ if needed

maddyd2000

Star Member
May 27, 2015
Is giving birth in alberta or manitoba an option i have heard there is no waitimg period in those areas and your coverage starts as soon as u apply.
Can you enlighten me ?

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
maddyd2000 said:
Is giving birth in alberta or manitoba an option i have heard there is no waitimg period in those areas and your coverage starts as soon as u apply.
Can you enlighten me ?
Yes, that is certainly an option however you must then commit to living in that province to satisfy their healthcare eligibility requirements. I think for Alberta it's 6 months. If you moved out the province before the required time, they would bill you for all costs.

And regarding having a normal delivery, this is in NO WAY guaranteed. At any time during the delivery if the doctor feels there will be complications or danger with a normal delivery, you will need to do a c-section. The doctor will not care about what your current doctors think, they will do what they feel is right at the time for your own safety. Demanding a normal delivery when a c-section is recommended, could lead to all kinds of complications and major costs.

Entering with a budget of not more than $5K may be possible, but is incredibly risky. Again any complications can cause this amount to skyrocket way past $10K. At least though you wouldn't need to pay upfront, usually you can work out a payment plan with the hospital after the final cost is determined to pay off the bill over next X number of years.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
maddyd2000 said:
Can you enlighten me ?
Based on your previous posts, you're a returning Ontario resident - so no, this won't work. You will have a three month wait no matter where you go.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You may not be seen as a returning Ontario resident dependent on how long you were gone. Generally you lose OHIP if you are outside Ontario for 7 or more months in a 12 month period. If you are outside Canada for longer but still temporarily, you may even be able to keep coverage longer. Definitely talk to OHIP and ask about that.

If you have been away for a very long time and OHIP tells you that you have definitely lost your coverage and you are open to moving to AB, SK or MB, you can talk to health care there, tell them that you used to live in Ontario but you have now lived outside Canada for x months or years, whatever the truth is and ask them if you as a Canadian citizen moving back to Canada from overseas would be eligible for first day coverage in their province.

Another option would be Quebec. They do have a waiting period for health care, also for newcomers. However, they have an exception for pregnancy and childbirth which they do cover during the waiting period. You could for example live in Gatineau with access to jobs in Ottawa.

If you do get coverage in another province, however, make sure you live there for at least 6 months to drive home your eligibility to get it in the first place. If you just come there to have the baby and then leave, they could reverse your eligibility, accuse you of health care fraud and back charge you for their expenses.

maddyd2000

Star Member
May 27, 2015
Leon said:
You may not be seen as a returning Ontario resident dependent on how long you were gone. Generally you lose OHIP if you are outside Ontario for 7 or more months in a 12 month period. If you are outside Canada for longer but still temporarily, you may even be able to keep coverage longer. Definitely talk to OHIP and ask about that.

If you have been away for a very long time and OHIP tells you that you have definitely lost your coverage and you are open to moving to AB, SK or MB, you can talk to health care there, tell them that you used to live in Ontario but you have now lived outside Canada for x months or years, whatever the truth is and ask them if you as a Canadian citizen moving back to Canada from overseas would be eligible for first day coverage in their province.

Another option would be Quebec. They do have a waiting period for health care, also for newcomers. However, they have an exception for pregnancy and childbirth which they do cover during the waiting period. You could for example live in Gatineau with access to jobs in Ottawa.

If you do get coverage in another province, however, make sure you live there for at least 6 months to drive home your eligibility to get it in the first place. If you just come there to have the baby and then leave, they could reverse your eligibility, accuse you of health care fraud and back charge you for their expenses.
Dear LEON
Yes i have been away from canada not for months but for 10 years.i am now moving back and i think i should be able to move back to ab,sk or mb and get my coverage as a newcomer i will spend 6 or more months where ever i plan to deliver.
Where can i get all the informationn abt health coverage and waiting periods regarding different states ?
Also is it possible if i go to ontario only when therr are still 2.5 months left for my delivery apply for ohip.. is the 3 month rule counted day to day or you can start ur coverage before that by any means ?

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
maddyd2000 said:
Yes i have been away from canada not for months but for 10 years.i am now moving back and i think i should be able to move back to ab,sk or mb and get my coverage as a newcomer i will spend 6 or more months where ever i plan to deliver.
This is your post from January: http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/help-waiting-period-for-ohip-t389674.0.html;msg5692900#msg5692900
I will be applying for my ohip later this month but i will haveto return to the country i am living in after 15 days and my delivery is in may.i haveto return because my son will be back in pakistan and gr is still not granted immigration

Did you apply for OHIP just last month?? If so that may complicate things in terms of going to a new province.

Also is it possible if i go to ontario only when therr are still 2.5 months left for my delivery apply for ohip.. is the 3 month rule counted day to day or you can start ur coverage before that by any means ?
Again, for OHIP there are no exceptions for your situation. It's a full 3 months to the day after you return permanently, so if you arrive 2.5 months before your due date you should expect to pay 100% of the hospital costs for delivery yourself. If you want OHIP to pay for your delivery you need to return to Ontario immediately to make sure the 3 months waiting period is over before you give birth.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Alberta health care isn't always valid from day one. If you are moving from another province or country, there is still a 3 month waiting period. Instant validity only occurs in certain situations.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Buletruck said:
Alberta health care isn't always valid from day one. If you are moving from another province or country, there is still a 3 month waiting period. Instant validity only occurs in certain situations.
3 month wait period should only apply if they consider you moving from another province, since it's expected your previous province's health care should cover you for initial 3 months.

If moving from outside of Canada, then you should be covered from day 1.

http://www.health.alberta.ca/AHCIP/moving-to-Alberta.html

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
When you move to Alberta from another province or country, there may be a waiting period before you become eligible for coverage under the AHCIP.
Again, it's not guaranteed. It does seem to be somewhat ambiguous how the waiting period is applied. When I returned, I was told I needed to wait 3 months, but got my card in a week, with the same number I had 7 years earlier and had no issues visiting g a doctor during the 3 mo th waiting period. Wife landed 7 mo the later and had coverage the day she applied. It's a Greek to me how they implement it. I'd still be cautious assuming its immediate coverage and call them to co firm before making the move.

rockytg

Apr 22, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-Jan-2016
Doc's Request.
22-Apr-2016, Additional Doc Request 13-July-2016
Nomination.....
29-July-2016
AOR Received.
31-Aug-2016
Med's Done....
22 August, further tests 18 Sep, 11 Oct Meds passed
Passport Req..
06-Mar-2017
VISA ISSUED...
Mar 2017
LANDED..........
Jun 2017
maddyd2000 said:
Dear LEON
Where can i get all the informationn abt health coverage and waiting periods regarding different states ?
Email IDs for SK vitalstatistics@ehealthsask.ca, change@ehealthsask.ca

We did have a few mail to the above ID regarding coverage and their reply was it is from day one. As your case is a little different, you can reach out to them directly.