+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Travel to US without PR card but have a COPR and valid WORK PERMIT.

Tilikun

Jan 4, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Veg--CPC-Miss
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-08-2013
AOR Received.
05-09-2013
Med's Done....
13-01-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
SA and AIP 27-10-2014
VISA ISSUED...
DM 08-01-2015 Landing letter email 12-01-2015
LANDED..........
(On 2nd attempt) 23-01-2015/PRCard received on 09-03-2015
kiwi said:
dpenabill ,

Thank you for your detailed reply. I understand that its taking a chance..
You had a good point that work permit is no longer valid document and it would be an attempted use of an invalid immigration document. However the airline has no way of knowing that unless they check with CIC... ]
My other concern is that once I land (if I manage to get on the plane) the officer will ask me how did they let me board..

I am really worried to take the risk and I am even considering to cancel my flight (very little chance to get my money back).
Still have 2 days to decide what to do.
Did you cancel it ? Or are you up in the air right now ?! :)

kiwi

Jun 27, 2013
So i didn't have a problem to board the plane. I showed my work permit however the airline agent wanted to see my visa so she looked in my passport and checked my temporary residence visa (which had the same expiry date as my work permit).
But the immigration officer in Canada was asking me many questions and sent me to second checked where they checked my bags. I said that I didnt buy anything during my vacation (and I really didn't) but I guess that they wanted to double check that.
After reading other posts in this forum I was under the impression that officers are very welcoming to new permanent residents so I didnt expect to be questioned that much. But again - each case is different.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
kiwi said:
So i didn't have a problem to board the plane. I showed my work permit however the airline agent wanted to see my visa so she looked in my passport and checked my temporary residence visa (which had the same expiry date as my work permit).
But the immigration officer in Canada was asking me many questions and sent me to second checked where they checked my bags. I said that I didnt buy anything during my vacation (and I really didn't) but I guess that they wanted to double check that.
After reading other posts in this forum I was under the impression that officers are very welcoming to new permanent residents so I didnt expect to be questioned that much. But again - each case is different.
I am guessing that your reference to the "immigration officer in Canada" was actually the PIL (Primary Inspection Line) officer who does the initial screening (or at least the initial screening by a person if the entry was attempted using a kiosk). Beyond that it appears that the combination of circumstances, how soon after becoming a PR you made this trip, the brevity of the trip, being a PR without a PR card in possession, and not declaring any goods at all, added up to at least a referral for a customs related secondary examination.

They do have a difficult job to do, dealing with scores and scores of people in a wide, wide range of circumstances, and even though the PIL officer may not have asked how you boarded the flight without a PR card, at the least your circumstances (traveling without the PR card) invites questions.

But it appears all is well, and you should be getting your PR card in the near future.

Tilikun

Jan 4, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Veg--CPC-Miss
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-08-2013
AOR Received.
05-09-2013
Med's Done....
13-01-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
SA and AIP 27-10-2014
VISA ISSUED...
DM 08-01-2015 Landing letter email 12-01-2015
LANDED..........
(On 2nd attempt) 23-01-2015/PRCard received on 09-03-2015
kiwi said:
Well I'm not from a visa exempt country , my TRP is expired since 2012 , so thank God that I got my PRCard
Before my travel . I tried to board the plane without displaying the card from Puerto Vallarta ,Mex at the Westjet front desk , but they didn't want to issue a boarding pass to me until a "found " my PRCard on my carry on bag . After that I asked them if people without a card had show at their desk , and they said yes , and they usually end up losing the flight because it takes to long for cbsa/cic to reply calls from them , so at least they do call to canadian authorities to check if you are a PR or not , anyways , from my experience , I don't recommend to travel to other countries if you don't have your card and if you are not visa exempt . (To the US by land you should be fine to re enter with just COPR ) .

agni_h1

Jul 13, 2015
kiwi said:
So I am planning to do the same. I would be landing on the 3rd of Aug. But I have to travel again to US for business on the 20th. That time I will try to pass through boarding by using the work permit/ TRV. Both of them have validity till Dec 2017. Quick question, once I land, I know my WP and TRV would be cancelled in the system. But do they physically put a cancelled stamp on it?

dublinfunk

Star Member
Apr 11, 2015
Hi,

I find myself in the same situation as the previous guys here and hope someone can shed light. I was fortunate enough to land a consultancy job that have headquarters in Denver Colorado USA. The work is for clients in Canada hence my clients will be in Canada while HQ is in Denver.

Now I am planning to land on the last week of April and by the looks of it I am looking at 49 days before PR card is issued. I called HR and they told me that the company has no offices outside of their Denver office. I am guessing that the first week I start work (1st week of May), they will ask me to go to their Denver office.

My question now is the following:

I know that I do not have the PR card and there is a possibility that they ask me to go to Denver. What I was planning was to fly from Vancouver to Denver then on my return trip, fly from Denver back to Belmingham Washington and take a Limo taxi (cost USD 150 or so) back to Vancouver.

I plan to just present my passport (non-visa exempt) and my COPR at the border.

Question 1: Is the rented limo taxi considered as private used vehicle because similar to renting a car, I rented a car with a driver (since I am not familiar with road rules yet)

Question 2: Can someone confirm that presenting the Passport and COPR at the land border is perfectly fine. The links in CIC website is confusing as it always talks about applying for PR.

Thank you very much!

dublinfunk

Star Member
Apr 11, 2015
blogger123 said:
Hi dublinfunk,

Can you kindly share your experience. I'm in a similar situation right now.

Thanks!!
Hi guys,

I did my landing and I asked CBSA about this situation. They told me that COPR and Passport is ok to cross the border. Thus you can take a flight to the nearest airport before the border and drive to the border. I have yet to do it but I asked it directly from a CBSA officer in the airport.

blogger123

Feb 24, 2016
dublinfunk said:
Hi guys,

I did my landing and I asked CBSA about this situation. They told me that COPR and Passport is ok to cross the border. Thus you can take a flight to the nearest airport before the border and drive to the border. I have yet to do it but I asked it directly from a CBSA officer in the airport.
Thanks a lot. It really helps...

mythjill

Apr 18, 2016
it seems at least one person did this (travel to us without PR card but with copr and work permit/visa ).

in summary.

in land board, you can travel use passport and copr.

for other ase, it is possible to use copr, work permit/visa to travel, but you take the risk.

Meganes

Aug 6, 2015
I am in the same situation. I became a PR very recently. I also have a valid visa and work permit. Can I travel back to Canada without a PR card but with my valid visa? Boarding the plane should not be a problem, but what about the officer at the border?

Can anyone please share his/her experience?

Thanks

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Meganes said:
I am in the same situation. I became a PR very recently. I also have a valid visa and work permit. Can I travel back to Canada without a PR card but with my valid visa? Boarding the plane should not be a problem, but what about the officer at the border?

Thanks
Actually, the problem is the opposite: no problem at the PoE so long as you have a valid passport (to establish identity), but the problem may be in boarding a plane headed for Canada.

As a PR you are entitled to enter Canada. So all a PR needs to do is establish identity and status, and the proof of identity will usually suffice to establish status (makes the entry easier if the PR is carrying anything to show IRCC client number, like the CoPR).

In particular, unless you are a U.S. citizen, or one of the other very small classes of exceptions to eTA, a Canadian PR must present either a valid PR card or a PR Travel Document to get CBSA clearance (via electronic system all airlines with flights to Canada must now use to clear passengers before issuing a boarding pass) to board the flight.

I cannot guess whether or not there is some possibility of slipping through pre-boarding screening by displaying a no-longer valid Canadian visa (any Canadian visa would be rendered no longer valid by landing and becoming a PR, even if the physical visa is not marked as such). For sure, technically should not happen; that is, for sure, in order to board the flight you should have to show PR card or PR TD. Practically, I am guessing that depends on how the Advance Passenger Information system (operated by CBSA and accessed by the airlines) actually functions, which of course is not public information (beyond the fact that it should not give a pass to board for a PR unless the PR presents a valid PR card or PR TD or has an exception to eTA like a U.S. citizen).

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Meganes said:

Thanks
The visa (assume a TRV?) is no longer "valid" since once you landed as PR all visas and permits you had before should be cancelled or deactivated. The officer that does your PR landing is actually supposed to remove all visas/permits from your passport.

If the airline can see your visa is no longer valid, then you would be denied boarding. If they just look at the visa paper and don't cross check it with some Canadian database, then perhaps you would be allowed boarding under assumption you are still a foreign national and not a PR. It's your choice whether to risk it.

Once back in Canada there is no issue. All CBSA will need is your passport and COPR and you'll be allowed entry as a PR with no issue. It's boarding plane back to Canada that is your only concern.

Your best and safest option is to apply for a PR Travel Document in the country you're visiting if time allows.

Meganes

Aug 6, 2015
dpenabill said:
Actually, the problem is the opposite: no problem at the PoE so long as you have a valid passport (to establish identity), but the problem may be in boarding a plane headed for Canada.

As a PR you are entitled to enter Canada. So all a PR needs to do is establish identity and status, and the proof of identity will usually suffice to establish status (makes the entry easier if the PR is carrying anything to show IRCC client number, like the CoPR).

In particular, unless you are a U.S. citizen, or one of the other very small classes of exceptions to eTA, a Canadian PR must present either a valid PR card or a PR Travel Document to get CBSA clearance (via electronic system all airlines with flights to Canada must now use to clear passengers before issuing a boarding pass) to board the flight.

I cannot guess whether or not there is some possibility of slipping through pre-boarding screening by displaying a no-longer valid Canadian visa (any Canadian visa would be rendered no longer valid by landing and becoming a PR, even if the physical visa is not marked as such). For sure, technically should not happen; that is, for sure, in order to board the flight you should have to show PR card or PR TD. Practically, I am guessing that depends on how the Advance Passenger Information system (operated by CBSA and accessed by the airlines) actually functions, which of course is not public information (beyond the fact that it should not give a pass to board for a PR unless the PR presents a valid PR card or PR TD or has an exception to eTA like a U.S. citizen).

Thanks for the detailed reply. I appreciate it. I was under the impression that the airline just checks the expiry date of the paper visa!

Meganes

Aug 6, 2015
Rob_TO said:
The visa (assume a TRV?) is no longer "valid" since once you landed as PR all visas and permits you had before should be cancelled or deactivated. The officer that does your PR landing is actually supposed to remove all visas/permits from your passport.

If the airline can see your visa is no longer valid, then you would be denied boarding. If they just look at the visa paper and don't cross check it with some Canadian database, then perhaps you would be allowed boarding under assumption you are still a foreign national and not a PR. It's your choice whether to risk it.

Once back in Canada there is no issue. All CBSA will need is your passport and COPR and you'll be allowed entry as a PR with no issue. It's boarding plane back to Canada that is your only concern.

Your best and safest option is to apply for a PR Travel Document in the country you're visiting if time allows.
Thanks for the complete reply. I appreciate it. I was under the impression that the airline just checks the expiry date of the paper visa!