+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Travel to US without PR card but have a COPR and valid WORK PERMIT.

reiyahs

Dec 6, 2010
Hi Jen10,

Do you mind sharing your experience. Have you travelled last February? I am on the same situation and letting me know what happened will greatly help me. Thank you.

gavy

May 19, 2014
Hey guys
I landed in canada on may 4 ,2014 and i am waiting on pr card right now. I urgently need to travel back to india. If i leave canada right now and when i get my pr card in mail. Can my family member mail pr card to india. Am i allowed to mail pr card outside canada?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

gavy said:
Hey guys
I landed in canada on may 4 ,2014 and i am waiting on pr card right now. I urgently need to travel back to india. If i leave canada right now and when i get my pr card in mail. Can my family member mail pr card to india. Am i allowed to mail pr card outside canada?
Yes, they can.

kiwi

Jun 27, 2013
Hi Jen10,

I am in pretty much the same situation as yours and I would appreciate if you share your experience. Or if someone else was in similar situation, please share as I am freaking out and not sure what to do.
Here is my story - I am inland applicant and had my COPR signed by officer yesterday. I went to land border to activate my PR because I wanted to have it done as soon as possible. Unfortunately I wasn't aware that I can not travel and come back to Canada without travel document.
And I have booked 4 day trip to New York leaving Canada at end of this week. I will be staying there for the weekend and coming back on Monday.
I still have my work permit and TRV which expire on the same day I am returning to Canada.

From what I read in this forum the difficult part is to board the plane on the way to Canada but once I land in Canada I can show my passport and COPR and the officer can look me up in the system to verify my PR status.

My question is - can I use my work permit to board the plane and once I land in Canada show my passport and COPR?
I am a bit worried because my work permit expires on the same day I travel.

I would really appreciate any feedback from people who have done that or if anyone knows more about this kind of situation, please let me know. I am very worried that I won't be able to come back to Canada :(

P.S. I know that there is an option to obtain travel document at Canadian embassy at the destination but I can not find anywhere how long does it take. I contacted the consulate in NY and left a message but nobody got back to me..

Thank you!

Tilikun

Jan 4, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Veg--CPC-Miss
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-08-2013
AOR Received.
05-09-2013
Med's Done....
13-01-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
SA and AIP 27-10-2014
VISA ISSUED...
DM 08-01-2015 Landing letter email 12-01-2015
LANDED..........
(On 2nd attempt) 23-01-2015/PRCard received on 09-03-2015
kiwi said:
Hi Jen10,

I am in pretty much the same situation as yours and I would appreciate if you share your experience. Or if someone else was in similar situation, please share as I am freaking out and not sure what to do.
Here is my story - I am inland applicant and had my COPR signed by officer yesterday. I went to land border to activate my PR because I wanted to have it done as soon as possible. Unfortunately I wasn't aware that I can not travel and come back to Canada without travel document.
And I have booked 4 day trip to New York leaving Canada at end of this week. I will be staying there for the weekend and coming back on Monday.
I still have my work permit and TRV which expire on the same day I am returning to Canada.

From what I read in this forum the difficult part is to board the plane on the way to Canada but once I land in Canada I can show my passport and COPR and the officer can look me up in the system to verify my PR status.

My question is - can I use my work permit to board the plane and once I land in Canada show my passport and COPR?

I would really appreciate any feedback from people who have done that or if anyone knows more about this kind of situation, please let me know. I am very worried that I won't be able to come back to Canada :(

P.S. I know that there is an option to obtain travel document at Canadian embassy at the destination but I can not find anywhere how long does it take. I contacted the consulate in NY and left a message but nobody got back to me..

Thank you!
Sad that she didn't come here to share her experience , but IMHO I think if you have all your cic documents with you , you should be able to board the plane ,specially from the US . I'm in the same situation ,only difference is that I'm gonna try to board from Mexico , will see how it goes ..

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
kiwi said:

Tilikun said:
Sad that she didn't come here to share her experience , but IMHO I think if you have all your cic documents with you , you should be able to board the plane ,specially from the US . I'm in the same situation ,only difference is that I'm gonna try to board from Mexico , will see how it goes ..
This is one of those areas in which how it goes practically can deviate significantly from what is technically required. Because of this, anecdotal experience about how it unfolded for one person does not offer a reliable indication of how it will go for another PR.

Technically the return to Canada by commercial airline involves two screening events:

-- first is the pre-boarding screening for a Travel Document authorizing entry into Canada

-- the second is the POE screening attendant actually seeking entry into Canada

The latter, at the POE, is more or less straight-forward: PRs are entitled to enter Canada. Once a PR establishes identity and status, the PR will be allowed to physically enter. Usually merely establishing identity is sufficient to establish status because the system will verify status based on the individual's identity. That said, PRs without a currently valid PR card should generally present the CoPR along with identity documents.

Overall, generally, once the PR arrives at a Canadian POE, it should go relatively easily. If there is a referral to secondary it should be largely a formality, if not perfunctory.

Regarding pre-board screening:

This is done by the airlines as part of their contract with Canada, pursuant to which they are allowed to provide transportation to destinations in Canada from abroad. There are technical specifications which govern the airlines obligations. How strictly the airlines follow those technical specifications appears to vary. There are probably many factors. Among the factors are some which are obvious, like country of departure. Flights originating outside North America, for example, probably entail both closer and more strict scrutiny for compliance with the technical requirements.

The key technical requirement is that a passenger must present a valid Travel Document authorizing entry into Canada before being allowed to board the flight.

Proof of PR status itself does not suffice. The airline is obligated to check for valid Travel Documents, which is not the same as assessing the passenger's status or admissibility into Canada. In effect the policy allows commercial transporters to rely on valid Travel Documents, and even if it turns out, upon arrival at the POE in Canada, that for this reason or that, the individual will not be actually allowed to enter Canada, the airline is not liable and has not violated the terms of its agreement with Canada.

There are many anecdotal reports that PRs with a visa-exempt passport are allowed to board flights destined for Canada without displaying a PR card (or otherwise documenting PR status). To what extent this should be relied upon I cannot begin to guess. An acquaintance of mine cancelled a trip to South America this past year when she realized her PR card was expiring and she could not obtain a new one in time, even though she also carries a U.S. passport. I have also heard other reports of surprisingly strict airline screening for departures from within the U.S. (including a very recent one which literally resulted in the loss, when boarding of the flight was not allowed, of over a thousand dollars due to the type of ticket purchased). But in contrast there are many other reports of no problem boarding flights from the U.S. or the UK by persons carrying U.S. or UK passports.

Without a visa-exempt passport, probably not a good idea to attempt flying to Canada without a currently valid PR card or a PR Travel Document.

Again, the airlines are ordinarily not at all interested in attempting to assess an individual's actual status, but they rely instead on whether the passenger displays a proper Travel Document showing authorization to enter Canada. (A passport from a visa-exempt country is, for example, specifically a Travel Document showing authorization to enter Canada.)

Regarding use of the work permit:

Technically a work-permit will no longer be valid once the PR has landed and become a PR.

Perhaps it would be no big deal to display this for purposes of boarding a flight in the U.S. destined for Canada, but technically this would be an attempted use of an invalid immigration document. A PR is no longer a Foreign National under Canadian immigration law, but is a Canadian, a Canadian Permanent Resident to be precise. Only a Foreign National can legitimately have and use a work permit. Thus, not something I would recommend attempting, but I tend to be a cautious sort.

Here again, how things go in practice can deviate considerably from the technical requirements. But, with the permit itself expiring, personally I would be concerned about that drawing attention, since clearly the trip to Canada is on its face not to live and work in Canada pursuant to it.

It is very hard to predict just how strict or formal an airline will be on any given occasion. There are some recently elevated concerns about attacks in the U.S. and Canada which could trigger elevated scrutiny and more strict enforcement for international flights.

A lot of unknowns in play . . . unless one only travels internationally with a valid PR card in possession or goes through the process to obtain a PR Travel Document.

eileenf

Champion Member
Apr 25, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Leon said:
I doubt they will care how you boarded. If they ask, you can tell them. If they want to take your work permit then, let them. You are a PR so you don't need it any more. You will have your PR card by the next time you want to travel.
Actually copies of old work permits or temp visas are sometimes required in the citizenship process (RQ) so PRs are wise to hold onto them after they are cancelled.

kiwi

Jun 27, 2013
dpenabill ,

Thank you for your detailed reply. I understand that its taking a chance..
You had a good point that work permit is no longer valid document and it would be an attempted use of an invalid immigration document. However the airline has no way of knowing that unless they check with CIC... ]
My other concern is that once I land (if I manage to get on the plane) the officer will ask me how did they let me board..

I am really worried to take the risk and I am even considering to cancel my flight (very little chance to get my money back).
Still have 2 days to decide what to do.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
kiwi said:
dpenabill ,

Thank you for your detailed reply. I understand that its taking a chance..
You had a good point that work permit is no longer valid document and it would be an attempted use of an invalid immigration document. However the airline has no way of knowing that unless they check with CIC... ]
My other concern is that once I land (if I manage to get on the plane) the officer will ask me how did they let me board..

I am really worried to take the risk and I am even considering to cancel my flight (very little chance to get my money back).

As I indicated, it is difficult to evaluate the risk there will be a problem boarding the plane. Your call on that.

As for what will happen when you arrive at the POE, assuming you are allowed to board the return flight, it seems highly unlikely to me that a POE officer will ask questions about how you were allowed to board the flight. While there may be a referral to secondary because you do not have a valid PR card, you landed as an inland applicant recently, and CBSA wants to verify your identity and status, odds are this will not be a problematic encounter. Just answer the questions straight-forwardly and be patient. Some questions about the nature and purpose of the trip are likely. Answer them directly, honestly. As long as there is no reason to suspect you are up to something nefarious, the interview should go well, at the least polite and non-confrontational, if not friendly. Many CBSA officers are inclined to be particularly welcoming to new PRs.

Tilikun

Jan 4, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Veg--CPC-Miss
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-08-2013
AOR Received.
05-09-2013
Med's Done....
13-01-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
SA and AIP 27-10-2014
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
dpenabill said:
As I indicated, it is difficult to evaluate the risk there will be a problem boarding the plane. Your call on that.

As for what will happen when you arrive at the POE, assuming you are allowed to board the return flight, it seems highly unlikely to me that a POE officer will ask questions about how you were allowed to board the flight. While there may be a referral to secondary because you do not have a valid PR card, you landed as an inland applicant recently, and CBSA wants to verify your identity and status, odds are this will not be a problematic encounter. Just answer the questions straight-forwardly and be patient. Some questions about the nature and purpose of the trip are likely. Answer them directly, honestly. As long as there is no reason to suspect you are up to something nefarious, the interview should go well, at the least polite and non-confrontational, if not friendly. Many CBSA officers are inclined to be particularly welcoming to new PRs.
We are definitely not worry at all regarding the encounter with cbsa at Poe , they will know we are pr just typing our names , no chance even to get sent to secondary . The airline letting us board the plane is the issue, we don't know if they will not let us board at all , or if they at least will try to call cbsa/cic to check if we are pr .. Who knows .. I think Ill be the first one sharing that experience , cus I'm not cancelling this well deserved vacation , neither that flight back to Canada , westjet will be key .

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
kiwi said:

What passport do you hold?

If you are visa-exempt, then you will have no issues. You can board the plane as a visitor on the strength of your visa-exempt passport and present yourself to CBSA as a PR without issue. The officer will not care how you were able to board.

If you are not visa-exempt, then you will need a PR card, a PRTD or to enter at a land border.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Tilikun said:
We are definitely not worry at all regarding the encounter with cbsa at Poe , they will know we are pr just typing our names , no chance even to get sent to secondary . The airline letting us board the plane is the issue, we don't know if they will not let us board at all , or if they at least will try to call cbsa/cic to check if we are pr .. Who knows .. I think Ill be the first one sharing that experience , cus I'm not cancelling this well deserved vacation , neither that flight back to Canada , westjet will be key .
The post by canuck_in_uk asks the key question for you: whether or not you have a visa-exempt passport.

I would not go so far as canuck_in_uk to say (as if it is certain) there will be no problems boarding a flight in Mexico destined for Canada so long as you have a visa-exempt passport, but there are many reports that others have done this without problems, at least from the U.S., the UK, and some Western European points-of-departure, and this is consistent with the simplicity of the rule the airlines are required to apply: to check boarding passengers for a valid Travel Document authorizing entry into Canada. A visa-exempt passport is such a Travel Document.

If you do not have either a visa-exempt passport, or a currently valid PR card, or a PR Travel Document, the risk of being denied boarding are fairly high.

To be clear, I doubt the airlines will engage in checking PR status itself.

In particular, the airlines is required to check for valid Travel Documents, not engage in a fact-finding inquiry to ascertain the boarding passenger's actual status. The requirement is intended to be a simple one the airlines can uniformly and efficiently apply: screen passengers for a valid Travel Document authorizing entry into Canada. No such document, no boarding the plane.

Also, for clarification, referrals to secondary can be triggered by a wide range of factors, including random quality checks. So there is always a chance of being referred to secondary. But there is no reason to worry about a referral to secondary for a PR who is in compliance with the PR Residency Obligation. Some Q & A and on one's way.

Tilikun

Jan 4, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Veg--CPC-Miss
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-08-2013
AOR Received.
05-09-2013
Med's Done....
13-01-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
SA and AIP 27-10-2014
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
dpenabill said:
The post by canuck_in_uk asks the key question for you: whether or not you have a visa-exempt passport.

I would not go so far as canuck_in_uk to say (as if it is certain) there will be no problems boarding a flight in Mexico destined for Canada so long as you have a visa-exempt passport, but there are many reports that others have done this without problems, at least from the U.S., the UK, and some Western European points-of-departure, and this is consistent with the simplicity of the rule the airlines are required to apply: to check boarding passengers for a valid Travel Document authorizing entry into Canada. A visa-exempt passport is such a Travel Document.

If you do not have either a visa-exempt passport, or a currently valid PR card, or a PR Travel Document, the risk of being denied boarding are fairly high.

To be clear, I doubt the airlines will engage in checking PR status itself.

In particular, the airlines is required to check for valid Travel Documents, not engage in a fact-finding inquiry to ascertain the boarding passenger's actual status. The requirement is intended to be a simple one the airlines can uniformly and efficiently apply: screen passengers for a valid Travel Document authorizing entry into Canada. No such document, no boarding the plane.

Also, for clarification, referrals to secondary can be triggered by a wide range of factors, including random quality checks. So there is always a chance of being referred to secondary. But there is no reason to worry about a referral to secondary for a PR who is in compliance with the PR Residency Obligation. Some Q & A and on one's way.
My trip is only for 2 weeks ,( I'm not visa exempt ), I will try to apply (via walk-in , not by mail ) for a PRTD in the canadian consulate in Mexico City , but if it becomes impossible to get it in that timeframe ,then I will keep my passport and the rest of my cic documents ( work permit , AB driver license , COPR,sin card) and will have to attend to board that westjet from puerto Vallarta , but hopefully I get my card before April 8th and don't have to worry about it.

(Thinking of trying that same procedure of boarding ,even having my pr card in my pocket , just to check how hard it would be , if it gets to troublelish then display the pr card .)

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Tilikun said:
My trip is only for 2 weeks ,( I'm not visa exempt ), I will try to apply (via walk-in , not by mail ) for a PRTD in the canadian consulate in Mexico City , but if it becomes impossible to get it in that timeframe ,then I will keep my passport and the rest of my cic documents ( work permit , AB driver license , COPR,sin card) and will have to attend to board that westjet from puerto Vallarta , but hopefully I get my card before April 8th and don't have to worry about it.

(Thinking of trying that same procedure of boarding ,even having my pr card in my pocket , just to check how hard it would be , if it gets to troublelish then display the pr card .)
If you have made a request for urgent processing, included copies of paid tickets, and there is no doubt about your compliance with the PR Residency Obligation, you should easily have your PR card before the trip. If you have not made the request for urgent processing, you can still do that and should.

Since you will obviously be on a return flight, and the airlines will know your trip originated in Canada, I suppose there is a chance WestJet could overlook the technical requirement of presenting a valid Travel Document authorizing entry into Canada for you. But even if they do, that would only mean it is possible and would not mean the risk otherwise is any less for someone else. And the risk of being denied boarding is high.

As I have said, how it goes practically (in any one given instance) can deviate considerably from what is required technically. Generally, however, no Travel Document authorizing entry into Canada, boarding will not be allowed.