+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Travel insurance when no status in Canada

tidelander

Star Member
Jan 7, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I am from Ukraine. I've been in Canada for 1 year and 3 months already and I am still here.
All this time my status here was temporary foreign worker. However, several weeks ago my status expired. This means that as for now I have no status in Canada.
I am going to restore my status in Canada as visitor. Restoration of status takes around 4 months. All this time I will have no status and will stay in Canada.
I have a Visitors to Canada travel insurance with Travel Underwriters. In their policy brochure it's stated that I am not eligible for coverage if I do not have legal status in Canada.
I now need to find another travel insurance company.
I contacted several like TIC (Travel Insurance Coordinators), Manulife, Blue Cross, GMS but they also said that I was not eligible for coverage under any of their programs.
Is there an insurance company/plan that will cover a person like me with no status in Canada?

goldenbrown

Jan 11, 2011
Vancouver
Hi! You must have an implied status since you are going to apply to restore it. In this case most insurance plans for Visitors will work for you. You can take a look here:

<a href=https://arbetovinsurance.com/visitorstocanada/>Visitors Insurance Plans</a>

haver

May 30, 2009
Vancouver
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi!
You can contact us to see which plan could work. Visit our website, we work with all the Canadian insurance companies and we can definitely find a company that would cover you while you are here.

tidelander

Star Member
Jan 7, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
goldenbrown said:
Hi! You must have an implied status since you are going to apply to restore it.
This is not so. My status expired. I received a letter from CIC that said that. Currently I have no status in Canada. It means that I do not have implied status. I will get any status only after application for restoration is processed. Before it I still have no status. I called CIC call center twice and different agents confirmed this.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
tidelander said:
This is not so. My status expired. I received a letter from CIC that said that. Currently I have no status in Canada. It means that I do not have implied status. I will get any status only after application for restoration is processed. Before it I still have no status. I called CIC call center twice and different agents confirmed this.
Yes they are correct. You only have implied status if you apply for status extension while currently being in status, and your status expires while waiting on answer to the extension.

Having lost status and only then applying for restoration within 90 days, definitely does NOT give you implied status.

tidelander

Star Member
Jan 7, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Here is an update.
I had Visitors to Canada travel insurance with Travel Underwriters (now TuGo). My status expired in January 2015 and according to policy wording I was not eligible for coverage. In February 2015 I called Travel Underwriters customer service and explained the situation to the agent. He told me that it was ok, even though I am currently with no status I am still covered under the insurance. I didn't really trust this information because policy wording said one thing while agent on the phone said the opposite but I had no other choice - other insurance companies refused to insure me.
I was without any status for 6 months from January 2015 till July 2015. During this time I had one claim submitted with Travel Underwriters and they refunded me the money with no problem. They did not inquire about my status in Canada.