+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

To marry after CoPR or after landing?

aman.narang86

Dec 18, 2016
I have got my CoPR and I want to marry my long term girlfriend this year. I can't decide between the 2 options -
1. whether I should do my landing first and then come back, marry and sponsor my then wife
Pros - my copr is assured, Cons - we will have to stay away from each other for minimum 6 months
2. I marry first, inform cic of the change and get her added to my application.
Pros - we can go together, Cons - risk of returning Copr and possible rejection

What would you suggest is the best way forward?

Do you know of any applications getting rejected for this reason?

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
aman.narang86 said:
I have got my CoPR and I want to marry my long term girlfriend this year. I can't decide between the 2 options -
1. whether I should do my landing first and then come back, marry and sponsor my then wife
Pros - my copr is assured, Cons - we will have to stay away from each other for minimum 6 months

Maybe go for number 1 but apply for a visitor visa for her first. Then you can marry after you land but still be together in Canada, with the usual visitor restrictions. You could then sponsor here under the Spouse in Canada path, with an open work permit.

Option 2 is also possible but if she is for any reason medically inadmissible to Canada, you will lose your COPR as well. It's also going to add months to your application before you would get a new COPR, as they will need to do background and security checks as well as the medical.

Your choice...

aman.narang86

Dec 18, 2016
Thanks for your input zardoz

We would be marrying here in India admist our families.
In case of option 1, Should she apply for visitor visa before marriage or after we get married? I think its tougher for singles to get a visitor visa. Also, if visitor visa is rejected would that have an impact when I sponsor her later?

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
aman.narang86 said:
Thanks for your input zardoz

We would be marrying here in India admist our families.
In case of option 1, Should she apply for visitor visa before marriage or after we get married? I think its tougher for singles to get a visitor visa. Also, if visitor visa is rejected would that have an impact when I sponsor her later?
The reverse is true. Married couples have more difficulty with visitor visas, as there is more incentive to not leave Canada. A rejection will not impact sponsorship.

Varun K

Aug 30, 2017
The reverse is true. Married couples have more difficulty with visitor visas, as there is more incentive to not leave Canada. A rejection will not impact sponsorship.
Hi Aman,

I am also going through same Issue, I have recived my COPR but I am getting married in next 20-25 days, I want to bring my spouse along with me.

Please advise, Also please tell which step you have taken and its result.Please tell which issues can get arise if we follow this step.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi Aman,

I am also going through same Issue, I have recived my COPR but I am getting married in next 20-25 days, I want to bring my spouse along with me.

Please advise, Also please tell which step you have taken and its result.Please tell which issues can get arise if we follow this step.
Are you landing and becoming a PR before you get married? If you're getting married before landing, you're going to need to return your COPR to the visa office (without using it), add your new spouse to your application and wait for CIC to issue a new COPR.

Varun K

Aug 30, 2017
Thanks for the advice.

Please tell if return my CPCO, In
Are you landing and becoming a PR before you get married? If you're getting married before landing, you're going to need to return your COPR to the visa office (without using it), add your new spouse to your application and wait for CIC to issue a new COPR.

Thanks, Also Please tell if I return my CPCO and add my spouse to the application, How much time it will take for them issue a new CPCO to me and my spouse.

Also Please guide through the procedure of modifying the application and adding spouse to it.

Thanks.

mebidu

May 4, 2016
Hello,
I got COPR in June 2017, and am yet to land in canada. I got married in October 2017 and have raised CSE to LVO and also sent them an email about my update in marital status. It's over 30 days now with no response from LVO. My visa expires in May 2018. Do I continue waiting or I can choose to land in Canada and show the CBSA officer at POE the email I sent to the LVO and explain that I did not get a response?

Do you think I would still be penalized?

Dec 12, 2017
Hi Mebidu,
Can u share the email address where you informed about getting married? I have aslo got my COPR , my last date of entry is 21 June 2018. I plan to get married before that I have asked for advice in the following email address but have not recieved any response yet.
CPC-CTD-Ottawa@cic.gc.ca

patel1

Oct 30, 2017
Windsor

Hello,

I am in the same situation. I have sent my passport for stamping and will get my COPR next week. I am inland applicant and can flagpoll for landing. I will be getting married in next 20 days but the only issue is do I need to inform CIC if i get married after landing as I will still be waiting for my PR Card or does the landing process mark as end of PR? My future wife is a US Citizen and does not need Canadian PR nor will be moving to Canada. Let me know what worked out for you. Thanks.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Hello,

I am in the same situation. I have sent my passport for stamping and will get my COPR next week. I am inland applicant and can flagpoll for landing. I will be getting married in next 20 days but the only issue is do I need to inform CIC if i get married after landing as I will still be waiting for my PR Card or does the landing process mark as end of PR? My future wife is a US Citizen and does not need Canadian PR nor will be moving to Canada. Let me know what worked out for you. Thanks.
Only comment I would make would be land first then get married given whilst your future wife might say now she does not want want PR or future Canadian citizenship never say never. Do not get married first and then land as single as any future sponsorship of your wife would not be an option. If you get married after completing your landing you do not need to inform CIC.

patel1

Oct 30, 2017
Windsor
Only comment I would make would be land first then get married given whilst your future wife might say now she does not want want PR or future Canadian citizenship never say never. Do not get married first and then land as single as any future sponsorship of your wife would not be an option. If you get married after completing your landing you do not need to inform CIC.
Yes, I agree. I have sent my passport to CPC Ottawa for stamping and will flagpole at US-Canada border as soon as I get it back and finish my landing process (planned Sept 4th), I have US Visa. Now the next thing on my mind is if I get married like 3 days after landing lets say Sept 7th, COPR will say Single and it will take 2 months for PR Card. Issue date on PR card would be later than my wedding date on certificate. Does that make any difference? If so I will have to postpone the wedding until I get my PR card.

I have read people say once I land I can be called as Canadian PR and my PR application is closed, doesn't matter if i marry or adopt/anything which i need to update cic about. So practically after landing I dont need to let them know if my status changes right? Any suggestions?

tobs

VIP Member
May 25, 2018
Nigeria
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
10-07-2018
AOR Received.
10-07-2018
Passport Req..
04-01-2019
Thanks for the advice.

Please tell if return my CPCO, In

Thanks, Also Please tell if I return my CPCO and add my spouse to the application, How much time it will take for them issue a new CPCO to me and my spouse.

Also Please guide through the procedure of modifying the application and adding spouse to it.

Thanks.
Read the reply @zardoz gave to someone who asked the same question before you....

"Maybe go for number 1 but apply for a visitor visa for her first. Then you can marry after you land but still be together in Canada, with the usual visitor restrictions. You could then sponsor here under the Spouse in Canada path, with an open work permit.

Option 2 is also possible but if she is for any reason medically inadmissible to Canada, you will lose your COPR as well. It's also going to add months to your application before you would get a new COPR, as they will need to do background and security checks as well as the medical.

Your choice"

tobs

VIP Member
May 25, 2018
Nigeria
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
10-07-2018
AOR Received.
10-07-2018
Passport Req..
04-01-2019
I just saw that your question was asked a year ago. My bad!!