+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Thread For applications Through SYDNEY (AUSTRALIA) Office

clau12

Jul 24, 2017
On the CIC website the time line is 10 months but CIC told my husband’s MP in Edmonton that the total processing time is 14 months. I am the applicant and my husband is my sponsor. My file was transferred to Sydney VO in September 2016, had the interview February 2017 but since then no new updates. Whenever the MP request information, he gets to hear that the elibility is in progress. BGC not started, security not started, medical expired in August this year. We have no idea why the whole process is taking so long. At the day of the interview, I was told to hear from them in 3 to 4 weeks but it now almost 8 months since my interview took place. So frustrating and painful for us.

fauxkiwi

Sep 12, 2017
On the CIC website the time line is 10 months but CIC told my husband’s MP in Edmonton that the total processing time is 14 months. I am the applicant and my husband is my sponsor. My file was transferred to Sydney VO in September 2016, had the interview February 2017 but since then no new updates. Whenever the MP request information, he gets to hear that the elibility is in progress. BGC not started, security not started, medical expired in August this year. We have no idea why the whole process is taking so long. At the day of the interview, I was told to hear from them in 3 to 4 weeks but it now almost 8 months since my interview took place. So frustrating and painful for us.
I'm so sorry to hear about the problems with your application, thank you for the details. I saw in your post history you also have a child together, so our cases are very different. Are you currently in Canada as well? Did they say why they requested an interview? As we're in Canada now I'm worried they will call us for one which is another huge expense. Have you gotten an immigration lawyer yet?

I'm surprised they aren't giving any information about this, the Sydney consulate was super helpful when we've emailed them in the past. On the IRCC website it shows 12 months processing time across the board for all applications after Dec 2016, so I hope yours isn't stuck behind all the new applications they're pushing through.

clau12

Jul 24, 2017
We don’t have mutual kids. Someone my age, previous marriages, lived in 3 continents, you are doomed to be scrutinised. Never overstayed a visit anywhere in the world as a vateran traveller, no criminal background, never any issues with the law. If that is not what is causing the delay, I do not what is. I can only hope for the best and keep praying. By the way, I moved from Australia to be with my husband and daughter who goes to school in Canada, but since it takes so long and I could not work, i decided to go back to Holland to work while I wait for a decision to come from CIC.

jack150

Star Member
Feb 7, 2016
Timeline for Spousal Sponsorship
I'm PA from NZ. Partner is Canadian.
De facto, 2.5 years, no dependents, no prev marriages

Application was received on May 16th
SA was around June 10th.
Schedule A and Medical requested early June. Medical passed/approved and Schedule A uploaded.
AOR2 / Transferred to Sydney Visa Office August 7th

Immigrating to Quebec. Have submitted Quebec Undertaking Application and received QSC August 10th. Contained a letter confirming they have sent a copy to Sydney where our application is being processed.

Nothing since.Waiting for Background Check to switch to In Process..

Requested immigration notes last week to hopefully find out more info on our progress. Thanks fauxkiwi!!

Last edited:

Mr Dev

Star Member
Feb 12, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hey guys ,how many days does Sydney office takes to process the passport request ?Any idea or previous experiences ?

fauxkiwi

Sep 12, 2017
Hello everyone, any update for your application from sydney?
Nothing for us. PA's ecas still showing as in process and BGC hasn't switched to being processed. 30 days for our notes will be Nov 1st so waiting for that to hopefully give us some insight.

WorkerInCanada123

Star Member
Jan 16, 2017
Montreal, Quebec
Hi everyone

Just thought I'd reach out and see if anyone on here has recently (i.e. since the change in December 2016) applied for Family Class Spousal Sponsorship (common-law or married) OUTLAND with the Principal Applicant being Australian? Just trying to get a rough idea of processing times. I've gone through the google spreadsheet but there doesn't seem to be enough entries for the Sydney office to glean anything statistically significant from the the data. Just hoping to start a new dialogue with some recent stories and timelines from fellow Aussies about their experiences!

Thanks in advance!

Reactions: lfindlay

KiwiNate

May 20, 2017
New Zealand
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
18-04-2017
RE: RCMP CLEARANCE & FINGERPRINTS

Hi guys,

Have tried searching separately but have had no luck. CPC have sent me a request for electronic fingerprints and RCMP clearance. This is because I spent a year in Canada on a working holiday visa.
Am now based in Wellington, NZ. Am I reading the instructions correctly when it says I have to send ink prints to CA to be digitised and cleared by the RCMP?

EDIT: Also posting to main forum

James_NZ1

Jan 15, 2017
Ontario
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Sydney, Australia
App. Filed.......
14-07-2017
Passport Req..
09-08-2018
Hi KiwiNate

My partner is Canadian and for her NZ visa she had to send her finger prints from NZ to Canada for her Background check for NZ visa.

I'm not sure on your exact instructions but she had to go to NZ Police and ask for the finger print service. In Christchurch they offer this at the station. You need ID etc and then they put them on paper. You need to let them know its for a Visa and they use a different form (more formal one i think) this may not always be the case though. If your instructions say to use a organisation then i suggest you get in contact with the following service.

https://www.commissionaires.ca/en/national/individual

More can be found here
http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/en/who-can-conduct-criminal-record-check

They charge a fee but are very good. I can go on about it but hopefully the info is enough. RCMP don't do the check themselves I recall its done by a different organisation.

I lived in Canada for just under a year, but I have not been requested to submit finger prints. Did you live in Canada for exactly one year or just under?

Reactions: KiwiNate

kiwias

Feb 19, 2017
Oh man t
Hi KiwiNate

My partner is Canadian and for her NZ visa she had to send her finger prints from NZ to Canada for her Background check for NZ visa.

I'm not sure on your exact instructions but she had to go to NZ Police and ask for the finger print service. In Christchurch they offer this at the station. You need ID etc and then they put them on paper. You need to let them know its for a Visa and they use a different form (more formal one i think) this may not always be the case though. If your instructions say to use a organisation then i suggest you get in contact with the following service.

https://www.commissionaires.ca/en/national/individual

More can be found here
http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/en/who-can-conduct-criminal-record-check

They charge a fee but are very good. I can go on about it but hopefully the info is enough. RCMP don't do the check themselves I recall its done by a different organisation.

I lived in Canada for just under a year, but I have not been requested to submit finger prints. Did you live in Canada for exactly one year or just under?

RE: RCMP CLEARANCE & FINGERPRINTS

Hi guys,

Have tried searching separately but have had no luck. CPC have sent me a request for electronic fingerprints and RCMP clearance. This is because I spent a year in Canada on a working holiday visa.
Am now based in Wellington, NZ. Am I reading the instructions correctly when it says I have to send ink prints to CA to be digitised and cleared by the RCMP?

EDIT: Also posting to main forum
Oh man I had a feeling this would come up. I'm in the same boat, lived in Canada for a year on a working holiday.

Ive submitted my Schedule A and Im waiting for the BGC to start. I was hoping

kiwias

Feb 19, 2017
I was hoping they wouldn't ask for th his as it will delay my application but I can already see them requesting this from me.

How did it take for them to request it?

lfindlay

Star Member
Jul 28, 2017
Hi everyone

Just thought I'd reach out and see if anyone on here has recently (i.e. since the change in December 2016) applied for Family Class Spousal Sponsorship (common-law or married) OUTLAND with the Principal Applicant being Australian? Just trying to get a rough idea of processing times. I've gone through the google spreadsheet but there doesn't seem to be enough entries for the Sydney office to glean anything statistically significant from the the data. Just hoping to start a new dialogue with some recent stories and timelines from fellow Aussies about their experiences!

Thanks in advance!
I'd love to know this as well!

James_NZ1

Jan 15, 2017
Ontario
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Sydney, Australia
App. Filed.......
14-07-2017
Passport Req..
09-08-2018
I'm kiwi my partner is Canadian. We are straight forward. No kids, common law relationship, no law breaking etc. Stuck at the Background check waiting to get confirmation its started, or it has started they just don't update the site much.

I worked in Canada for just under a year. So they must be really strict on the "1 year" in Canada requiring a background check.