Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
6235 / 0112

chelsma

Jun 29, 2012
TEF for Québec (TEFaQ) - French Exam

Hi donutbox,

My fiance and I just started the Quebec skilled worker application, and the agency we are working with advised us to take the TEF test to enhance our application. How do we register for this test and study for it? where do we start please? We reside in Coventry, UK.

many thanks

donutbox

Aug 7, 2010
Re: TEF for Québec (TEFaQ) - French Exam

chelsma said:
Hi donutbox,

My fiance and I just started the Quebec skilled worker application, and the agency we are working with advised us to take the TEF test to enhance our application. How do we register for this test and study for it? where do we start please? We reside in Coventry, UK.

many thanks
Hi Chelsma

You can take TeF classes and exams at your local Alliance Française (French Alliance) school.

I think for you (since you are in the UK) , you could go to the Alliance Française de Londres (French Alliance of London) office.

The French Alliance of London offers French language classes and exams.

This is the French Alliance of London information regarding their General French exam:

1) Test d'Evaluation du Français (TEF) +TEFaQ (Québec)

The TEF, valid for one year, is recognised internationally by employers, universities or business schools in France such as INSEAD. The TEF is also required by the Canadian Citizenship and Immigration Department. There is no pass or fail mark. Rather, the exam establishes and provides for a certificate that reports your level. As such it is the most general, all purpose exam that can be taken by students from an elementary to advanced level. The exam does not require any specific preparation beyond learning French either in a group or with a private tutor to focus on your specific needs.

The exam involves 3 compulsory tests (Reading comprehension / Listening comprehension / Language structures and vocabulary) and 2 optional ones (writing / speaking). One to one tuition is available to help prepare for an exam. The 3 compulsory tests cost £105, the optional writing test £50 and the optional speaking test £85.

TEFaQ, which is an adaptation of the regular TEF, is required by the Ministry of Immigration Québec for a visa application. For this test, candidates are tested on their listening comprehension and speaking only. A certificate of results is issued and valid for one year. The speaking test requires the candidate to conduct a conversation at a level that is roughly equivalent to our level 2B. This is NOT an elementary level and candidates should not enrol without having attained an intermediate level of French. The test costs £135.

For further information on TEF see the CCIP website : CCIP

Hope the above info. helps, there is some additional info. (from the "Immigration Quebec" website) below too:

=====================================================================================================

Learning French in your country of departure

You will find it useful to acquire a good knowledge of French in your country of departure.

To help you do so, several agreements with language schools exist around the world, some with local Alliance française schools.

The lessons given in these schools will also help you better understand Québec society thanks to document collections, a collection of documents especially designed for that purpose. Tuition fees are your responsibility.

However, since April 1, 2009, the Ministère de l'Immigration et des Communautés culturelles is reimbursing up to C$1500 to immigrants holding a Certificat de selection du Québec (CSQ – Quebec selection certificate) who took French language courses abroad after October 22, 2008.

Do you want to apply for immigration?

Québec considers knowledge of French an important selection criterion for immigrants.

Immigration candidates with insufficient knowledge of French to be selected may be referred to certain language schools.

After you make your decision to immigrate to Québec, enroll in a recognized French language school and increase your chances of being selected.

Proficiency in French

Effective December 6, 2011, all new skilled worker candidates (principal claimants and spouses) who wish to obtain points for their French proficiency must demonstrate this proficiency by enclosing with their immigration application the results of a French evaluation test issued by one of the two organizations recognized by the Ministère, specifically:

the Test d'évaluation du français adapté pour le Québec (TEFAQ) of the Chambre de commerce et d'industrie de Paris (CCIP);
the Test de connaissance du français pour le Québec (TCFQ) of the Centre international d'études pédagogiques (CIEP);
the Test d'évaluation du français (TEF) of the CCIP;
the Test de connaissance du français (TCF) of the CIEP;
the Diplôme d'études en langue française (DELF) of the CIEP;
the Diplôme approfondi de langue française (DALF) of the CIEP.

Candidates who choose to present a TEF or TCF must enclose the results of the oral comprehension test and the oral expression test. Note that written proficiency is not evaluated when applying for a Québec Selection Certificate.

The current list of TEF, TEFAQ, TCF, TCFQ, DELF and DALF accredited centres can be consulted on the respective websites of the Chambre de commerce et d'industrie de Paris and the Centre international d'études pédagogiques.

Please consult the table (in French - PDF, 182 Kb) for a detailed description of these French tests.

IMPORTANT: To prove their language proficiency, worker candidates must provide the results of a standardized test, even if French or English is their mother tongue.

source: http://www.immigration-quebec.gouv.qc.ca/en/french-language/country-departure/index.html
=====================================================================================================

donutbox

Aug 7, 2010
Take a look at the Quebec Immigration - Language Proficiency:

The Language Proficiency criterion for English and French is one of the ten criteria for which points are awarded under the Quebec Immigration selection system.

Language test results must be submitted along with immigration applications to be awarded points for language proficiency:

For more information on approved French tests, see Proving French Language Ability (Quebec Skilled Worker Program).
For more information on the approved English test, see Proving English Language Ability - International English Language Testing System (IELTS).

donutbox

Aug 7, 2010
Hi chelsma

For the TEFAQ exam:

The Test Evaluation of adapted French in Quebec (TEFAQ) is a French test which generally aims to measure the level of knowledge and skills in French in listening and speaking.

AUDIENCE
The TEFaQ is intended for adults (≥ 16 years) wishing to evaluate its actual skills in spoken French. It can be used as part of a project of emigration to Quebec.

-The Test Evaluation of adapted French in Quebec (TEFaQ) is recognized by the Ministry of Immigration and Cultural Communities (MICC) of Quebec
as part of an official immigration application.

-If you can not produce a certificate of results TEFaQ at the Department of Immigration and Cultural Communities of Quebec agrees to take into
account your certificates of test scores in understanding of EFT (which include a listening test) and the oral expression of the TEF.

*source

Tutorials
The following tutorials allow you to familiarize yourself with the tests of listening comprehension and oral expression of the TEF and TEFAQ

Test of Listening
Speaking Event

You can also familiarize yourself with the test form by visiting:

- Examples of standard questions for each test,
- the Candidate Handbook issued by the approved center to the candidate after registration.

*List of approved centers TEF

mkshah

Champion Member
Sep 2, 2010
Gujarat
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
6235 / 0112
yes, for quebec, business visas and investor visas are completely stopped and skiled worker visas are also stopped with certain exceptions to apply till March 31, 2013..
anupamabk said:
has quebec immigration also been put on hold..

mkshah

Champion Member
Sep 2, 2010
Gujarat
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
6235 / 0112
hi donutbox,
i read your previous post and got so much of help from it.
My TEFaQ is scheduled on July 21st, 2012 and I m not much confident about it.
Pls can u help me with some tips for scoring more during Speaking & Listening?

My speaking test duration will be for 15 mon? So how Can I prepare for it?
Thanks in advance :)
donutbox said:
Hi chelsma

For the TEFAQ exam:

The Test Evaluation of adapted French in Quebec (TEFAQ) is a French test which generally aims to measure the level of knowledge and skills in French in listening and speaking.

AUDIENCE
The TEFaQ is intended for adults (≥ 16 years) wishing to evaluate its actual skills in spoken French. It can be used as part of a project of emigration to Quebec.

-The Test Evaluation of adapted French in Quebec (TEFaQ) is recognized by the Ministry of Immigration and Cultural Communities (MICC) of Quebec
as part of an official immigration application.

-If you can not produce a certificate of results TEFaQ at the Department of Immigration and Cultural Communities of Quebec agrees to take into
account your certificates of test scores in understanding of EFT (which include a listening test) and the oral expression of the TEF.

*source

Tutorials
The following tutorials allow you to familiarize yourself with the tests of listening comprehension and oral expression of the TEF and TEFAQ

Test of Listening
Speaking Event

You can also familiarize yourself with the test form by visiting:

- Examples of standard questions for each test,
- the Candidate Handbook issued by the approved center to the candidate after registration.

*List of approved centers TEF

mmomen

Feb 16, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-05-2015 - Application delivered to CIO
Doc's Request.
06-08-2014 - by SINP
Nomination.....
27-04-2015 - by SINP
AOR Received.
16-07-2015 - by CIC
IELTS Request
Submitted with application
File Transfer...
Done
Med's Request
08-08-2015
Med's Done....
09-08-2015
Interview........
Waiting
Passport Req..
Waiting
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
LANDED..........
Waiting
mkshah said:
hi donutbox,

Hi donutbox,
I read your previous post and got so much of help from it.It was very useful descriptive post.... :) +1 is for you firstly...
I am an applicant of FSW and I can't reach 67 point ..I need more 2 points..So I decide to learn french....I am not sure I think 2 optional ones (writing / speaking) are mandatory for FSW applicant..Am I right ??

Can you give me proper guidelines about french learning? as you are so much experienced...

donutbox

Aug 7, 2010
mkshah said:
hi donutbox,

mmomen said:
Hi donutbox,
I read your previous post and got so much of help from it.It was very useful descriptive post.... :) +1 is for you firstly...
I am an applicant of FSW and I can't reach 67 point ..I need more 2 points..So I decide to learn french....I am not sure I think 2 optional ones (writing / speaking) are mandatory for FSW applicant..Am I right ??

Can you give me proper guidelines about french learning? as you are so much experienced...

Hello mkshah and mmomen , thanks for your responses, unfortunately though I do not speak French and I have never taken this (or any) French test. I can only suggest that you go through the tutorials to have an idea of what the exam/questions might be like:

Tutorials

Test of Listening
Speaking Event

Your local French Alliance office would be better able to advise you on how to preparation (the French Alliance is usually actually helpful).

Sorry I couldn't be of more help. Hopefully though others see this post and will be able to post there actual experience regarding preparation for the exam.

Remember also that there are alternative exams that can be done (i don't know if they are any easier/harder):

Test de connaissance du français pour le Québec (TCFQ) of the Centre international d'études pédagogiques (CIEP);
Test d'évaluation du français (TEF) of the CCIP;
Test de connaissance du français (TCF) of the CIEP;
Diplôme d'études en langue française (DELF) of the CIEP;
Diplôme approfondi de langue française (DALF) of the CIEP.

madragoa74

Jul 11, 2012
Re: TEF for Québec (TEFaQ) - French Exam

chelsma said:
Hi donutbox,

many thanks
Alternatively you can prepare at French In The City Languages in west London as they have customised preparation with applicants only, they train students on the questions they might have at the exam and focus on the listening too, it was really good. Oh and they preapre for the interview too. Good luck!

nyssa.acdol

Apr 8, 2013
@donutbox

Bonjour!
Thank you so much for sharing all of the information.
I'd like to ask something if you don't mind.

I'm planning to take my French Proficiency Exam this year (this under QSWP).
I was advised by a lawyer from a consultancy firm to take either TEFaQ/TCF/TEF.

Is it not advisable to take the DELF/DALF?

Hope to hear from you soon.
Merci beaucoup!!! :)