+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Taxes

me24

Mar 30, 2017
I'm asking a question for a friend of mine.
She is Canadian and got married to a us citizen in the us in like October. she has an income in cnada for last year but is currently living in the us now... how does she file her taxes... as married and does she need to put his income?
ty

cisco_kidd

Star Member
Dec 19, 2014
You didn't specify if the husband worked in Canada, or if she's currently working in the US.

She has to file her taxes in Canada. She will put herself as married but since I assume, he was not working in Canada, he does not need to put his income because he never resided in Canada.

He as a US citizen will file his taxes with the IRS. If she worked in the US, she will file with him. Still, there are some grey areas that you never clarified so I suggest you check with a certified CPA.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
me24 said:
I'm asking a question for a friend of mine.
She is Canadian and got married to a us citizen in the us in like October. she has an income in cnada for last year but is currently living in the us now... how does she file her taxes... as married and does she need to put his income?
ty
Assuming she has not permanently severed ties with Canada and intends to return back to Canada in the near future, she will need to file her Canadian taxes even through she's living in the US right now.

She will need to change her status with CRA to married. She can indicate that her spouse is a non-resident and doesn't have a SIN.

Most likely CRA will then ask her to provide his world-wide income, so they can calculate her new "family" income for purpose of determining eligibility for tax credits or other income dependent programs.

me24

Mar 30, 2017
No her husband lives and works in the us....and they r going through the process of her staying there...