+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Taxes: Non-Resident OR Deemed Non-Resident

APPNOV2014NY

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2014
Hello Experts,

I was working in Canada in Jan and Feb 2016 and then moved to USA. Only ties that I have with Canada are my Checking, Savings and Credit Card account.

Q1. Am I a "non-resident" OR "deemed non-resident" ?
Q2. Since I am "non-Resident"/"deemed non-Resident" , do I need to declare my USA income from March - Dec 2016 in Canada Tax returns? As per below link , I do not need to but wanted to confirm

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/newcomers/#txg

For the part of the tax year that you WERE NOT a resident of Canada

You have to report the following amounts:

income from employment in Canada or from a business carried on in Canada;
taxable capital gains from disposing of taxable Canadian property; and
taxable part of scholarships, bursaries, fellowships, and research grants you received from Canadian sources.

Alex54321

Jul 28, 2017
USA
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
20-10-2017
AOR Received.
01-12-2017
Hello Experts,

I was working in Canada in Jan and Feb 2016 and then moved to USA. Only ties that I have with Canada are my Checking, Savings and Credit Card account.

Q1. Am I a "non-resident" OR "deemed non-resident" ?
Q2. Since I am "non-Resident"/"deemed non-Resident" , do I need to declare my USA income from March - Dec 2016 in Canada Tax returns? As per below link , I do not need to but wanted to confirm

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/newcomers/#txg

For the part of the tax year that you WERE NOT a resident of Canada

You have to report the following amounts:

income from employment in Canada or from a business carried on in Canada;
taxable capital gains from disposing of taxable Canadian property; and
taxable part of scholarships, bursaries, fellowships, and research grants you received from Canadian sources.
As I understand you were a "non-resident" of Canada and have to pay taxes to Canada only for two months. In US you file your taxes for whole year (including Canadian income) and claim a foreign tax credit for taxes paid to Canada.

Reactions: APPNOV2014NY

APPNOV2014NY

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2014
As I understand you were a "non-resident" of Canada and have to pay taxes to Canada only for two months. In US you file your taxes for whole year (including Canadian income) and claim a foreign tax credit for taxes paid to Canada.
Thanks. This is exactly what I did and everything went smoothly.