+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Taxes in year of becoming a PR after soft-landing

Kamel_D_2017

May 3, 2017
If I land in Canada as a permanent resident but go back immediately after that trip to finish up things at my job for a couple of months, would that make the income from those months taxable in Canada?

I currently live in a country which maintains a double taxation treaty with Canada. According to that treaty, income from employment is only taxable in the country of residence. But how do the residency tiebreakers apply in such a case?

Let’s say I land in Canada in June and go back a week later without establishing significant ties, I still keep working in my current country of residence for a couple of months and then permanently move to Canada in let’s say October. Would there be any chance that my income from June-Oct could be taxable in Canada, even though I still live and work abroad?

How is the situation if my wife decides to re-establish and stay in Canada from June on?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Kamel_D_2017 said:
Let’s say I land in Canada in June and go back a week later without establishing significant ties, I still keep working in my current country of residence for a couple of months and then permanently move to Canada in let’s say October. Would there be any chance that my income from June-Oct could be taxable in Canada, even though I still live and work abroad?

How is the situation if my wife decides to re-establish and stay in Canada from June on?
If you land and leave without establishing ties, you will not be considered a tax resident until you return to Canada to live.

If you leave but your wife establishes residency in June, then yes, there is a very good chance you will be considered a resident for tax purposes. A spouse in Canada is generally considered a significant tie.