+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Tax rules for a PR leaving outside Canada

Mou2010

Aug 10, 2016
Hello everyone

I had lived in Canada for 5 years and got my Canadain PR in May 2016. At the end of May 2016, I left Canada to join my husband who is working in the USA. I worked till May 2016 in Canada, so I will be filing the Canadian taxes for 2016. I just have a bank account in Canada, which I plan to keep there as I plan to return to Canada in 2 years. Other than that I don't have any income source or property in Canada. I am not working in USA.

My husband became a Canadian PR in August 2016. He just entered to get the PR and then back in the USA for his job.

My questions:

1) In such situation what is my residency status in Canada for tax purpose?
2) If I am a non-resident for tax purpose, after getting PR and declaring that in my taxes, would that effect my PR in any way?
3) My husband has never resided in Canada. He doesn't have a SIN no. As he recently became a PR of Canada, does he need to file canadian taxes? If yes, what is the rule, he pays taxes both in USA and Canada?

I would be really grateful if anyone can provide some insights in my situation.

Thanks.

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
Mou2010 said:
1) In such situation what is my residency status in Canada for tax purpose?
2) If I am a non-resident for tax purpose, after getting PR and declaring that in my taxes, would that effect my PR in any way?
3) My husband has never resided in Canada. He doesn't have a SIN no. As he recently became a PR of Canada, does he need to file canadian taxes? If yes, what is the rule, he pays taxes both in USA and Canada?
1) You are a non-resident (as of the date that you left Canada)
2) No, it makes no difference to your PR status
3) Your husband is a non-resident as well, and does not need to file any taxes until he returns to Canada to reside