+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Tax return for visitors?

vic_guy3

Jul 7, 2013
So here is the situation.

in 2014, my mother, father and sister were granted temporary resident visa (visitor visa).

My dad arrived in Canada in beginning of April 2014 and stayed with me until first week of February 2015 (about 300 days)
My mom and my sister arrived in Canada in August 2016 and stayed until first week of February 2015 (about 190 days)

1) They had no income while they were here. I provided all necessities of life.
2) They did not get a SIN
3) They did not open a bank account
4) They did not receive any provincial medical insurance. I purchased private emergency medical insurance for all 3 of them.

Based on above facts, I assumed that none of them had to file a tax return. My dad, who stayed the longest (8 months) with me, is the only 1 I am worried about.

Can someone confirm that they did not have to file taxes?

Thank you

vic_guy3

Jul 7, 2013
I forgot to mention 1 fact:

While my mother, father and sister were in Canada as visitors in 2014, their Permanent Residence applications were in-process (which is now approved and they are arriving next month)

I am wondering if the above fact (in process PR application) meant they had "residential ties" with Canada

Now, the issue is that when my dad arrives in Canada as Permanent resident, is he "new resident" from CRAs perspective or is he "not new resident" , because he already lived in Canada for 240 days in 2014.

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
vic_guy3 said:
So here is the situation.

in 2014, my mother, father and sister were granted temporary resident visa (visitor visa).

My dad arrived in Canada in beginning of April 2014 and stayed with me until first week of February 2015 (about 300 days)
My mom and my sister arrived in Canada in August 2016 and stayed until first week of February 2015 (about 190 days)

1) They had no income while they were here. I provided all necessities of life.
2) They did not get a SIN
3) They did not open a bank account
4) They did not receive any provincial medical insurance. I purchased private emergency medical insurance for all 3 of them.

Based on above facts, I assumed that none of them had to file a tax return. My dad, who stayed the longest (8 months) with me, is the only 1 I am worried about.

Can someone confirm that they did not have to file taxes?

Thank you
If your family members were visitors, and never worked in Canada, then they don't have to file taxes for the time that they were present in the country.