+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Statutory Questions - Have you had any serious disease?

cbasil

Sep 8, 2017
Hi
Please advise!
I'm facing a dilemma with this question. I had Graves disease (hyper thyroid) in my childhood (from 11 to about 16 years old, from 2000 to 2006). Had to take pills for those years, but nothing else (no surgery or other intervention was needed). Have been cured and haven't taken any pills since 2006.
Do you think I should answer "yes" to this question? First, it's hard to understand their definition of "serious". Second, my case was neither lethal, no it required expensive treatment. I'm also worried that answering "yes" in this section might raise a red flag and stall my application for several months. If I answer "no" and they think I should have mentioned it I might be accused of lying. I didn't hide anything when I was assessed for the student permit, so a note about it can be on my previous files. If they look them up they may think I tried to hide it. But I'm afraid of saying yes to this question... Please help!
Thanks!

Andy_ready

Star Member
Aug 7, 2017
Toronto
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
17-11-2017
Based on medical opinion, graves cannot be cured. the underlying causes persist in our bodies even though it doesnt affect us. I think you should answer yes and clarify. There shouldnt be any issue. All the best.

cbasil

Sep 8, 2017
Thanks!
I will definitely report it then.
I heard that people who answered yes to one of these questions were requested to submit schedule A. That's why many people upload this form together with their LOE to save time. I've seen peoples' posts saying they had done the same, but I never found out what was their outcome. Did anyone benefit from submitting Schedule A upfront? People say it may save you a month or so. Has anyone experienced a negative impact on their application for doing things like this?
Has anyone also been asked to submit Schedule A after responding yes" to this particular question? (All cases I've seen before concerned statutory questions about visa refusals etc.)