canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Qasimkhan said:
What if the parents just are visiting during the final months of pregnancy for a week . Is the pregnant woman allowed to enter or leave without any objection or can they stop you before entering into Canada? My friend has planned for this trip for a year and now they cannot cancel it ... But his wife will be around 8 months and 10 days pregnant
.. They are visiting for 10 days .. They have done all the bookings and everything ..now he is tensed that they will be stopped from entering is there a entering problem or there will be no issue if they have medical certificate..
Yes, she could be refused entry to Canada because of the advanced pregnancy.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Qasimkhan said:
Or is it better not to go? To avoid the drama at the airport, mental stress aswell as let go of the financial loss.
assume you checked with the airline whether they will allow someone at 8 months 10 days to fly especially if longhaul

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
Qasimkhan said:
Hey !

What if the parents just are visiting during the final months of pregnancy for a week . Is the pregnant woman allowed to enter or leave without any objection or can they stop you before entering into Canada? My friend has planned for this trip for a year and now they cannot cancel it ... But his wife will be around 8 months and 10 days pregnant
.. They are visiting for 10 days .. They have done all the bookings and everything ..now he is tensed that they will be stopped from entering is there a entering problem or there will be no issue if they have medical certificate..
Airlines can refuse pregnant women in their last trimester to board the plane. This is due to avoiding possible complications of premature birth during flight.

frege

Jun 13, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Paris
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-05-2012
AOR Received.
none
File Transfer...
01-08-2012
Med's Done....
02-12-2011
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
28-11-2012 (copy only)
VISA ISSUED...
05-12-2012
LANDED..........
15-12-2012
Qasimkhan said:
Hey !

There are two questions.

First is being allowed to board the plane. I don't know what the policies of different airlines are, but 36 weeks (8 months 10 days) seems quite late, especially if that's when they're starting their trip. Air Canada says this:
Any woman with a normal pregnancy and no previous history of premature labour may travel up to and including her 36th week on Air Canada, Jazz and Air Canada coded flights operated by Tier 3 carriers.
So Air Canada wouldn't allow her on the return flight. The likelihood of giving birth on the plane if there are no signs of labour before boarding would be relatively low if the flight isn't too long, but for the return flight it might be too high for most airlines.

Second is immigration. For the immigration question, to be safe she would need to be able to show she has sufficient funds so that, if she needed to give birth while in Canada, she would be able to pay for it, or would be covered by insurance. There is about a 3.3% chance of giving birth between 36 weeks 0 days and 37 weeks 3 days, so this is an entirely realistic possibility that needs to be planned for.

Qasimkhan

Jul 23, 2016
airlines has given permission as return tickets are booked but Iam asking about entry to Canada ! When they reach Canada .. Is there any chance that the officers won't allow their entrance ? If not allowed then how are they dealt with?

Qasimkhan

Jul 23, 2016
And if there is 3.3 percent chance they they will have baby when in Canada .. And the baby is given citizenship, then how will they bring that baby with them ? Will they have to make a pasport from the government of Canada for that baby or what ? What is the procedure?

I appreciate your replies

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Qasimkhan said:
airlines has given permission as return tickets are booked but Iam asking about entry to Canada ! When they reach Canada .. Is there any chance that the officers won't allow their entrance ? If not allowed then how are they dealt with?
As stated several times already, yes, it is possible that she may be refused entry to Canada. If she is refused, she will be put on the first available flight back to wherever she came from.

frege

Jun 13, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Paris
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-05-2012
AOR Received.
none
File Transfer...
01-08-2012
Med's Done....
02-12-2011
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
28-11-2012 (copy only)
VISA ISSUED...
05-12-2012
LANDED..........
15-12-2012
Qasimkhan said:
Even when a visitor intends to give birth in Canada, this is not in itself grounds for refusing entry. This is even truer when there is only a small chance that the visitor will actually be giving birth in Canada.

The main problem is making sure that she has enough money to pay for a delivery in hospital if necessary.

CIC has a page about the criteria used to determine when to grant a visa to a visitor who actually intends to give birth in Canada. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/temp/visa/processing/birth.asp

My advice would be, first, to carry a doctor's note that says that the pregnancy is normal, and second, to have either proof of travel insurance that would cover a delivery even this late in the pregnancy (most policies stop around week 34, I think), or proof that there's at least $12,000 in her bank account, plus whatever amount is needed for normal expenses during her stay. Most deliveries cost less than this, but they can be expensive if there are complications.

I'm taking the $12,000 figure from this article: http://thetyee.ca/News/2014/03/21/Uninsured-Moms/

frege

Jun 13, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Paris
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-05-2012
AOR Received.
none
File Transfer...
01-08-2012
Med's Done....
02-12-2011
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
28-11-2012 (copy only)
VISA ISSUED...
05-12-2012
LANDED..........
15-12-2012
Qasimkhan said:
And if there is 3.3 percent chance they they will have baby when in Canada .. And the baby is given citizenship, then how will they bring that baby with them ? Will they have to make a pasport from the government of Canada for that baby or what ? What is the procedure?

I appreciate your replies
The baby might also have other citizenships, but this would depend on the laws of the parents' countries of citizenship. It is likely that the baby could apply for an emergency passport, but still might not be able to travel at the planned time.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Qasimkhan said:
just because return tickets have been booked does not guarantee that the checkin staff will allow boarding. They may ask for a current doctors certificate confirming fit to fly often no more than 3-7 days before flight , this would be to indemnify the airline should any issues occur in flight. This could apply for the return flight as well when she will be 10 days further on so may cross the limit to even be allowed to fly back given airlines vary between 35/36 weeks.

Personally i really cannot understand why anyone so far advanced would want to go on a 10 day return trip with all the risks mentioned here plus if the birth occurs in Canada the possible financial implications as doubt any travel insurance will cover.

Also as mentioned here CBSA could question whether the sole intent of travel is to have the baby in Canada not a genuine visit and may refuse entry if a visa was obtained with any misrepresentation. Maybe unlikely but always a possibility.

Qasimkhan

Jul 23, 2016
As said she have to show $12,000 for assurances to immigration officers.. But does she have to show a statement of her local bank? Or a well known bank which is also available in Canada ? As she is not allowed to carry $12,000 cash with her I think!

frege

Jun 13, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Paris
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-05-2012
AOR Received.
none
File Transfer...
01-08-2012
Med's Done....
02-12-2011
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
28-11-2012 (copy only)
VISA ISSUED...
05-12-2012
LANDED..........
15-12-2012
Qasimkhan said:
As said she have to show $12,000 for assurances to immigration officers.. But does she have to show a statement of her local bank? Or a well known bank which is also available in Canada ? As she is not allowed to carry $12,000 cash with her I think!
As far as the Canadian authorities are concerned, she is allowed to carry any amount of cash with her. But if she does carry more than $10,000, it is extremely important to declare it at the border, and she might have questions about it.

That being said, I wouldn't recommend having that amount of money with her. The important thing is to prove that she should be able to access the money in the event she needed it.

If she has a return ticket and the airline has no objection to letting pregnant women fly at that stage of pregnancy, it is possible the border officer will decide that the likelihood of an unplanned delivery is too low to demand proof of funds at that level. But this is speculative. My recommendation to have proof of funds is in order for her to be on the safe side.

SpiceIsland

Oct 2, 2017
Category........
CEC
App. Filed.......
24 August 2017
AOR Received.
02 October 2017
Interview........
29 November 2017
I know it’s an old thread. I been reading the news this morning and it’s said Birthplace doesn’t necessarily guarantee citizenshi,feds tell Supreme Court. I guess it’s have to do with does kids who were born to the Russian spies. It’s said that the conservatives wants to end birthright citizenship unless one of the parents is a Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada.