+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Startup Visa question for pending asylum applicant from US

bharatbaisla

Jan 18, 2017
Hi, I have a pending case for asylum in the US and now I wanted to move to Canada because I have a good business that requires me to travel and I cant while I am in the US on an asylum case. I was thinking about startup visa or skilled migration.
My question is can I apply from US and get PR if I qualify or would that be a problem.

I came to USA on a visitor visa for 6 months and then applied for a asylum with my wife.
Thanks.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You can apply, but you need to have a valid passport in your possession and be prepared to submit the passport when Canada is ready to stamp your PR visa. I believe you also may need to provide a copy of your passport with the original application. Not sure if you're in possession of your passport if you have a pending asylum claim in the US - so that might be one challenge. If you're not in possession of your passport, when it's requested by Canada, I supposed you'd have to withdraw your US asylum claim, leave the US and then submit your passport from your home country. If you need a copy of your passport just to apply, that will make things more complicated.

bharatbaisla

Jan 18, 2017
scylla said:
You can apply, but you need to have a valid passport in your possession and be prepared to submit the passport when Canada is ready to stamp your PR visa. I believe you also may need to provide a copy of your passport with the original application. Not sure if you're in possession of your passport if you have a pending asylum claim in the US - so that might be one challenge. If you're not in possession of your passport, when it's requested by Canada, I supposed you'd have to withdraw your US asylum claim, leave the US and then submit your passport from your home country. If you need a copy of your passport just to apply, that will make things more complicated.
Hi there, yes I do have my passport and its valid too, but I was wondering if they will reject my case just on the basis on my asylum status in US. also I cant go back to my home country so do you think its possible to get the PR stamped while in US and then fly to Canada?