+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

spouse sponsorship without traditional wedding ceremony (PLZ HELP)

23kai

Oct 8, 2015
Hi Everyone

My boyfriend got his permanent residence of Canada. I am on work permit here. We want to get married. Our parents are in India and we don't have relatives in Canada. So we have decided to get a court marriage. we will click photos at the registration office too. we got few pictures from our last year and this year small trips. Can we do that or we need to get traditional wedding?
Any type of advice will be much appreciated. thanks in advance :)

floomy

Dec 17, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
you do not need a traditional wedding ceremony if you can't

My husband and I did not have wedding ceremony, we went to city hall and registered our marriage.
and I explained why we did not have big wedding etc on the separate sheet of paper (think there is question about wedding ceremony from one of forms)

you can explain like you wrote here - no family would come to canada, you and husband cannot go home due to financial or job etc.
but we wanna start a life as a couple as soon as we can etc. you will have traditional indian wedding ceremony someday etc.

sounds like you have been together for a while, do not think it really matters.
- canadian marriage certificate and couple of photos on that day should be good as a proof of your marriage.

23kai

Oct 8, 2015
floomy said:
you do not need a traditional wedding ceremony if you can't

My husband and I did not have wedding ceremony, we went to city hall and registered our marriage.
and I explained why we did not have big wedding etc on the separate sheet of paper (think there is question about wedding ceremony from one of forms)

you can explain like you wrote here - no family would come to canada, you and husband cannot go home due to financial or job etc.
but we wanna start a life as a couple as soon as we can etc. you will have traditional indian wedding ceremony someday etc.

sounds like you have been together for a while, do not think it really matters.
- canadian marriage certificate and couple of photos on that day should be good as a proof of your marriage.
awesome !! thank you so much. you made my life easy :)

Illiasnie

Star Member
Oct 28, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July 24, 2015
AOR Received.
August 26, 2015
File Transfer...
September 18, 2015
Med's Request
Up front
Med's Done....
July 6, 2015
VISA ISSUED...
March 17, 2016
LANDED..........
Planning for May 14
My husband and I eloped, we only had two of our closest friends in attendance so that they could stand as our witnesses. We took a few pictures, but not many. We just made sure to include in our cover letters the reason we chose to get married the way we did: scheduling issues, both sides fighting over which country we would be married in, etc. I don't foresee any issues with it because we were able to back up the legitimacy of our relationship through pictures, chat logs, movie tickets etc from the seven years leading up to the application.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
23kai said:
My boyfriend got his permanent residence of Canada. I am on work permit here. We want to get married. Our parents are in India and we don't have relatives in Canada. So we have decided to get a court marriage. we will click photos at the registration office too. we got few pictures from our last year and this year small trips. Can we do that or we need to get traditional wedding?
Any type of advice will be much appreciated. thanks in advance :)
Hi

A court marriage will be a big red flag. You will need STRONG relationship proofs to overcome the lack of a traditional wedding. If all you have is a few pictures from the past year, it will be an uphill battle.

To the other posters, before you comment on something such as this, consider the VERY big difference in backgrounds. You (or your sponsored spouses) are all from visa-exempt developed countries that are not considered a risk for Marriages of Convenience and where small court weddings are standard. A court marriage is very much against India's cultural norms of the large and traditional wedding. Anything that goes against cultural norms is always a big red flag to CIC.

Reactions: scylla

floomy

Dec 17, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
canuck_in_uk said:
Hi

A court marriage will be a big red flag. You will need STRONG relationship proofs to overcome the lack of a traditional wedding. If all you have is a few pictures from the past year, it will be an uphill battle.

To the other posters, before you comment on something such as this, consider the VERY big difference in backgrounds. You (or your sponsored spouses) are all from visa-exempt developed countries that are not considered a risk for Marriages of Convenience and where small court weddings are standard. A court marriage is very much against India's cultural norms of the large and traditional wedding. Anything that goes against cultural norms is always a big red flag to CIC.
he is right. my bad to give wrong answer and hope you up.

found this thread same as your question.
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/sponsor-wife-india-after-engagement-court-marriage-please-help-t71873.0.html

Bricksmith

Star Member
Oct 10, 2015
Edmonton
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Sept 29, 2015
AOR Received.
Nov. 20 15
File Transfer...
Dec. 3, 2015
Med's Done....
Sept 7, 2015
Passport Req..
May 27, 2016
LANDED..........
July 7, 2016
canuck_in_uk said:

I was thinking the same thing. A few pictures of a civil ceremony and no family involved - I wouldn't be surprised if it was rejected.

o6ocpaka

Sep 19, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-02-2015
AOR Received.
none
File Transfer...
20-04-2015
Med's Done....
07-12-2014
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
visa exempt
VISA ISSUED...
08-10-2015
LANDED..........
11-11-2015
canuck_in_uk said:
Hi

You don't have to be that "serious" about it. While yes, it is easier to have a court marriage for couples from visa exempt countries, I don't think it will be an uphill battle for them as long as they have good history together, pictures, letters, tickets, etc. Canada is a free country, people from any nationality and from any country can get married the way they like it, it is their business what culture they want to follow or not.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
o6ocpaka said:
You don't have to be that "serious" about it. While yes, it is easier to have a court marriage for couples from visa exempt countries, I don't think it will be an uphill battle for them as long as they have good history together, pictures, letters, tickets, etc. Canada is a free country, people from any nationality and from any country can get married the way they like it, it is their business what culture they want to follow or not.
Yes, I have to be that "serious" about it. This is a very serious concern that could easily result in refusal of the app. Should I joke around or sugar-coat that? No, as that would not help the OP.

Following cultural norms is a HUGE thing for CIC. Anything outside the cultural norms is looked at with suspicion. And if you read my post properly, you'll see that I stated that it will be an uphill battle if they only have pictures.

Reactions: scylla

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
canuck_in_uk said:
Following cultural norms is a HUGE thing for CIC. Anything outside the cultural norms is looked at with suspicion.
This is correct. Check out the post by "Deep Son" below:

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/interesting-vos-comments-in-the-notes-t355036.0.html;msg4684896#msg4684896

Note the first comment by the case officer:

"The wedding was performed in accordance with cultural norms."

His office is New Delhi.

save_me_plz

Jun 5, 2014
Hi

Thats the best explanation I ever read on this subject. I am Indian in Canada and was thinking of court marriage first in decmeber, now I am changing my plan and going for Court + trqaditional wedding. I get mixed reposnse from other posters, but vbackground is definitely a factor

StevieFray

Jan 26, 2015
Nomination.....
17-07-2017
Passport Req..
15-01-2018
Lol i was about to say folks from the US and Caribbean do court marriages all the time but continued reading. ;) Im planning on doing a court marriage but then again im from US. Like canuck stated diff backgrounds.

Thats the best explanation I ever read on this subject. I am Indian in Canada and was thinking of court marriage first in decmeber, now I am changing my plan and going for Court + trqaditional wedding. I get mixed reposnse from other posters, but vbackground is definitely a factor

bafonso

Jan 21, 2017
Visa Office......
Mississauga
If you have long history of being together how you get married does not matter. We got married for insurance purposes in US and stated that, it was fine.

Reactions: Kiikii