+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse Sponsorship and OSAP Facility

Rajian

Aug 3, 2016
Dear Seniors,

My daughter, after getting married recently in early December' 2016, has shifted to Toronto as PR in end of December' 2016.

She has already submitted her application for Spouse Sponsorship in the first week of January' 2017.

She is now taking admission in PG Diploma course here in Toronto and wants to avail of the OSAP funding facility because of high fee.

My major question is if taking OSAP will adversely affect her application for Spouse Sponsorship. Immigration People may refuse the spouse sponsorship by saying that she is taking loan and grants under OSAP, how she can sponsor or sustain her husband as a new immigrant ?

Please advise me.

Should she take OSAP or not at this stage when her spouse sponsorship application has just been submitted ??

Regards.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
OSAP is not welfare, so people on OSAP can sponsor their spouses.

However, they must still show that they can support themselves in Canada without welfare. What financial proofs did they submit in their application?

Rajian

Aug 3, 2016
Sir,

My daughter has shown a bank balance of almost $30,000/- in her account in a Canadian Bank plus a job of 8 hrs a day @11.40 per hr for 40 hrs a week

Is it ok??

Regards,

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Rajian said:
My daughter has shown a bank balance of almost $30,000/- in her account in a Canadian Bank plus a job of 8 hrs a day @11.40 per hr for 40 hrs a week
I'm not a sir.

Yes, that will be sufficient for the sponsorship application.

On an unrelated note, one wonders why she would apply for OSAP when she has $30000 in her bank account.

Muzine

Sep 29, 2017
Hi. My name is Muzinie. I and my husband refugee in Canada. The The court approved my husband but did not approve me. He sponsored me. We apply for PR with my husband. Than we have received an email about our PR was confirmed. And now we still waiting for our permanent resident. I have the same rights as my husband, I have work permit, I have a health card, I get walfare. I applied to the OSAP, but the financial service said I could not take the money. My question is: Do I get OSAP? Thank you. My best regards...