+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse Open Work permit

Charan1990

Star Member
Sep 21, 2017
Hello,

My wife left to Canada on 31 Aug 2017 ( Student visa 2 years ) and we are married in Nov 2016. How long I have to wait to apply for OWP based on my wife's permit.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

RC.

Once-A-Marketer

Mar 21, 2017
Thanks. The wait can be for another year though, so I am wondering what I can do to shorten it. Although it does not seem like I have any options left.
I think so too. Even if you apply for OWP, there is still some wait time, which can possibly get longer. And it's better not to have two applications at the same time. Tto reduce the wait time, you can visit him :).

Last edited:

Once-A-Marketer

Mar 21, 2017
Hello,

My wife left to Canada on 31 Aug 2017 ( Student visa 2 years ) and we are married in Nov 2016. How long I have to wait to apply for OWP based on my wife's permit.

RC.
If you meet all the requirements, you can apply for SOWP asap. The sooner you apply, the better, as your wife will have longer visa tenure. CIC will refuse if your wife's visa is expiring soon.

Once-A-Marketer

Mar 21, 2017
i submitted upfront medical with application but now i received medical request again. doctors refused to do medical again before 1 year what should i do now
It's strange that the doctors are refusing to do the medical again when CIC is clearly asking for it. Like pradeepadm2017 suggested contact CIC, and I would use the web form rather than the email address. You may have already done it, but try approaching other doctors as well.

Once-A-Marketer

Mar 21, 2017
Dear Friends,
I have received study permit and I am traveling to Canada in December. My wife is planning to apply for Open work permit and jon me in Canada. We are planning to submit online application. While trying to file application online, she got request to submit below documents:

1. IMM1295 - Application for work permit made outside Canada
2. IMM5707 - Family Information form
3. Passport
4. Digital Photo
5. Request for medical exam
6. Proof of relationship
7. IMM5257 - Application for temp resident visa
8. Latter of explanation

None of the documents in the checklist ask about my study permit/VISA details or sponsorship letter. Also none of the documents talk about availability of funds, proof of employment or any other documents to verify links to home country.

Is this the case with others filing online as well? Or Did she miss or answer any questions wrong that lead to different supporting document requirement.
I would still attach your school documents and funds.

NiVish

Star Member
Dec 19, 2016
Hello Everyone .
Following is my time line for SOWP for my Wife:
Applied : Online on June 24,2017 (Chandigarh)
Acknowledgement : June 26,2017

There has been no update yet and it has been more than 9 weeks. I have sent an email regarding the same and haven't heard back from CIC yet. I guess we can't do anything but wait..
Any progress?

MarsiaMS

Jul 5, 2016
Northern British Columbia
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
27-01-2017
AOR Received.
15-03-2017
IELTS Request
submitted with application
Med's Request
28-02-2018
Med's Done....
upfront
Hello,

RC.
Why do you think you need to wait? To my knowledge, you could have applied immediately when she got her permit.

Once-A-Marketer

Mar 21, 2017
I was recommended to wait for 3 months / for one semester before applying for OWP based on wife study permit .
Most consultants in India recommend that and it is wrong. You can apply for the visa together or apply asap. The longer the validity date for your wife's visa, the better it is for your OWP. As long as you meet all the requirements and have enough funds -- you are all good.

Reactions: MarsiaMS