+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse Open Work Permit (SOWP) Missing Correspondence Letter

DanielHsu

Jul 30, 2017
Hi,

My spouse's open work permit online application just got the approval with the message saying:
"Your application was approved. Check your messages below for details."
However, there is no updated messages below as I expect that there should be a correspondence letter.
Without the correspondence letter or letter of acceptance, how can she receive the SOWP when she enter Canada?
Has anyone encountered this situation before?
Any suggestions are appreciated.

In addition, here is some background information:
1) I am here in Canada for study and I have started my study
2) My spouse is currently with me in Canada as a visitor (by eTA)
3) I have browsed some related topics saying that crossing boarder again to renew visa is probably needed; however, the situation here is that she is approved but the correspondence letter seems missing.

Reactions: Pamjhalli22

chawla.kanu

Apr 30, 2015
Hi,

My spouse's open work permit online application just got the approval with the message saying:
However, there is no updated messages below as I expect that there should be a correspondence letter.
Without the correspondence letter or letter of acceptance, how can she receive the SOWP when she enter Canada?

3) I have browsed some related topics saying that crossing boarder again to renew visa is probably needed; however, the situation here is that she is approved but the correspondence letter seems missing.

Hi Daniel,

I am not sure exactly but I have heard that they will send the work permit letter to the address mentioned in your application.
Also I have applied for my open work permit too from here in Canada but its is still under process, can you please let me know how long back have you applied for the Work permit ?

Thanks
Kunal

DanielHsu

Jul 30, 2017
Hi Kunal,

Since I applied online, I think it's more reasonable to have those document updated online as well. But thank you for sharing.
That is what I experienced for my student visa, I'm not sure if it is similar process for SOWP, though.

Regarding your question, I applied for the SWOP online in the beginning of March.
And pretty soon, around one month later, I received the updated information,
saying that I need to provide additional document, which took me more than 2 months to gather.
After I updated the required document, around 3 weeks I got the approval message.
During the time when I prepare the document, the system constantly, in a one-month period, sends me an email noticing me that there is no update for my application. So if you're waiting for the reply, be patient, probably you will receive the same noticing if they don't have any status updated yet.

Regards,
Daniel

sababx

Feb 15, 2017
Calgary
Visa Office......
Canada
NOC Code......
Hi Kunal,

Since I applied online, I think it's more reasonable to have those document updated online as well. But thank you for sharing.
That is what I experienced for my student visa, I'm not sure if it is similar process for SOWP, though.

Regarding your question, I applied for the SWOP online in the beginning of March.
And pretty soon, around one month later, I received the updated information,
saying that I need to provide additional document, which took me more than 2 months to gather.
After I updated the required document, around 3 weeks I got the approval message.
During the time when I prepare the document, the system constantly, in a one-month period, sends me an email noticing me that there is no update for my application. So if you're waiting for the reply, be patient, probably you will receive the same noticing if they don't have any status updated yet.

Regards,
Daniel
Which country did you apply from?

Pamjhalli22

Jul 30, 2017
Hi,

Hi did you get a solution ? I'm also in a similar situation can you please help ?

DanielHsu

Jul 30, 2017
Hi did you get a solution ? I'm also in a similar situation can you please help ?
Hi,

In the end, IRCC asked me to contact with Canada Visa Application Center (VAC) that serves/ represents my country.
(please refer to the info here... http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/offices/apply-where.asp )
You'd better call the VAC directly and send a inquiry mail explaining your situation at the same time; I got the correspondence letter pretty soon.

Thank you for asking, I should have shared the resolution earlier.

Pamjhalli22

Jul 30, 2017
Hi,

In the end, IRCC asked me to contact with Canada Visa Application Center (VAC) that serves/ represents my country.
(please refer to the info here... http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/offices/apply-where.asp )
You'd better call the VAC directly and send a inquiry mail explaining your situation at the same time; I got the correspondence letter pretty soon.

Thank you for asking, I should have shared the resolution earlier.
Just some further questions hope you don't mind , you mention that she was already in Canada with a eta so once you got the letter for her open work permit how did you get it stamped at port of entry if she was already in Canada ? Does that make sense

DanielHsu

Jul 30, 2017
Just some further questions hope you don't mind , you mention that she was already in Canada with a eta so once you got the letter for her open work permit how did you get it stamped at port of entry if she was already in Canada ? Does that make sense
Hi,

I'm also wondering about it, but I didn't seek for the answer because my spouse just by chance left Canada for a couple of days during this period.
So when she returns, I expect she will go through the regular process.
If you are eager to know how to "switch visa" without crossing the border, I would suggest you ask VAC.

Pamjhalli22

Jul 30, 2017
Hi,

I'm also wondering about it, but I didn't seek for the answer because my spouse just by chance left Canada for a couple of days during this period.
So when she returns, I expect she will go through the regular process.
If you are eager to know how to "switch visa" without crossing the border, I would suggest you ask VAC.
I just wondered , if approved he will have to leave Canada and the re enter thank you for your help

Sep 13, 2017
Hi Daniel,

I am also in the same situation.My wife is there in Canda on student visa and I am abut to apply for SOWP.Can youplease suggest me which all forms need to be filled during application.

We are not sure about SOWP forms.Please help or suggest.