+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsorship through work - What happens to my husband

Lauraemilyxo

Aug 31, 2017
Hey guys.

I'm currently trying to find a way to stay in Canada as my IEC visa ends June next year but unfortunately, me and my husband don't have enough points to gain PR via CEC (we have looked at PNP and others but we don't qualify for them either) I have a ray of hope in that my work said they may be able to sponsor me. My manager has contacted HR regarding this and we are waiting to start the process (separate to PR to gain more Canadian work experience to boost points) my question though is, does anyone know what happens to my husband in this case? His work won't sponsor him and he can't get PR on his own but I can't find anything that says anything about what happens to spouses if I am able to get a years work permit through my job. Will he automatically get a permit too with him being married to me or will he be forced to return to the UK once his IEC visa ends, or have to change to a visitors visa meaning he won't be able to work and will still have to return to the UK after 6 months? I feel like they can't split my family up, but I know it has happened before and I'm concerned as to what his fate is right now.

Thanks
Laura

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Your employer will need to go through the LMIA process in order to allow you to work after your IEC expires (I assume this is what they must be looking into). If your employer can secure an approved LMIA, you can then apply for a closed work permit.

If you end up getting an approved work permit and your work permit is for an occupation that falls under skill level A, B or 0 - then your husband can apply for an open work permit tied to your job.

Lauraemilyxo

Aug 31, 2017
Your employer will need to go through the LMIA process in order to allow you to work after your IEC expires (I assume this is what they must be looking into). If your employer can secure an approved LMIA, you can then apply for a closed work permit.

If you end up getting an approved work permit and your work permit is for an occupation that falls under skill level A, B or 0 - then your husband can apply for an open work permit tied to your job.
Oh really? That's so great! Thanks so much for your help!