+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

sponsorship by a friend

riokosam

Oct 11, 2011
Hi, good day. I just want to ask if my friend can sponsor me to Canada? We are not family. We're not even a distant relative. I am a Filipino while he is a Canadian citizen.
I do hoping for your kind response with regards to this matter. Thanks

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you have two close friends in Manitoba, they can sponsor you through PNP. Otherwise no but your friend could try to help you get a job offer and a work permit or a job offer and sponsorship by employer through PNP.

canaindian

Oct 29, 2011
yes he can, but he should sign a agreement that he will help u in financia matters for a period of 5 to ten years.

and u wont get any social security.

sdsmvcc

Oct 5, 2011
I am interested in this too. Is it really possible to sponsor a friend? I dont care about signing that I have to take care of the economic possible issues of this person. And we dont need social help at all. Maybe for the university but thats another history. Can someone provide more info about this?

THANKS!!

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

sdsmvcc said:
I am interested in this too. Is it really possible to sponsor a friend? I dont care about signing that I have to take care of the economic possible issues of this person. And we dont need social help at all. Maybe for the university but thats another history. Can someone provide more info about this?

THANKS!!
The answer is NO other than in the Manitoba PNP program. See who can sponsor: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/sponsor/relatives-apply-who.asp

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
In the Manitoba PNP program, they used to allow 2 friends to sponsor a 3rd but on their page now, I do not see that any more so they may have closed that option, see http://www2.immigratemanitoba.com/browse/howtoimmigrate/pnp-eligibility-criteria.html

Scandinavian

Star Member
Nov 4, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
So of my boyfriend (future common-law) is going to sponsor me, does that mean that meanwhile I am waiting for my work permit, I have no social security??? What if I get ill, will I have right to OHIP healthcare or do I need to take a private health insurance?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Scandinavian said:
So of my boyfriend (future common-law) is going to sponsor me, does that mean that meanwhile I am waiting for my work permit, I have no social security??? What if I get ill, will I have right to OHIP healthcare or do I need to take a private health insurance?
Get a travel/emergency insurance for the time you are in Canada until you can get OHIP.

If you apply inland, you can expect 10-11 months until you will get first stage approval and a work permit (and probably qualify for OHIP but still have to wait 3 months) and after that another 9 months until you get your PR. If you apply outland, if you are scandinavian, your application is processed in London. You would wait 70 days for the part of processing that is done in Canada and then up to 8 months for London and then get PR right away, not need a work permit, so I would recommend that you do outland. You can see the processing times here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/perm/fc-spouses.asp

CDDC87

Jan 20, 2011
I was curious about something similar as well, I have friends in Newfoundland aside from my significant other. We were discussing her sponsoring me at one point, although we're simply close friends and not blood-related. Just for the sake of asking, would she be able to sponsor me if it came down to it?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
CDDC87 said:
I was curious about something similar as well, I have friends in Newfoundland aside from my significant other. We were discussing her sponsoring me at one point, although we're simply close friends and not blood-related. Just for the sake of asking, would she be able to sponsor me if it came down to it?
No - unfortunately she can't sponsor you. That program is available to Manitoba residents only.

Scandinavian

Star Member
Nov 4, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Leon wrote: "If you apply inland, you can expect 10-11 months until you will get first stage approval and a work permit (and probably qualify for OHIP but still have to wait 3 months) and after that another 9 months until you get your PR. If you apply outland, if you are scandinavian, your application is processed in London. You would wait 70 days for the part of processing that is done in Canada and then up to 8 months for London and then get PR right away, not need a work permit, so I would recommend that you do outland. You can see the processing times here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/perm/fc-spouses.asp"

I still wonder since I get different kind of information, that WHEN I apply outland (London) and if I chose to live w my husband before the PR (without Visa for 6 months) and meanwhile the process in going on so to speak, will I during that time be able to use OHIP or is OHIP always possible only after you have received PR?
::)

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Scandinavian said:
I still wonder since I get different kind of information, that WHEN I apply outland (London) and if I chose to live w my husband before the PR (without Visa for 6 months) and meanwhile the process in going on so to speak, will I during that time be able to use OHIP or is OHIP always possible only after you have received PR?
::)
No - you won't have access to OHIP during this time. You will qualify for OHIP only after you have been approved for PR AND have then lived in Canada for three months as a permanent resident. Ontario is one of the provinces where a three month waiting period for health care applies after you become a PR.

denamydenise

Jan 17, 2012
a friend can invite you to come to canada as a visitor ,..meaning on a visitor visa,..your friend has to make a letter of invitation for you to come to canada,..check the visiting section of the CIC website,.thanks